• RMweb Premium

Kindly keep those for your railway room wall...

Not an exclusively post-nationalisation phenomenon. Pre-grouping, just (1920), this was the inducement to go to Blackpool:

504092747_Blackpoolgorgeoussightswithfares.jpg.511258f3cf98aec933c313bcd24a6df0.jpg

I think this originated with Blackpool Corporation (or whatever body was responsible for promoting the town's charms) as the same picture can be found with a Great Central header.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I first started thinking this when I saw various posters for Bognor, and most of them seem to feature a young lady as the main subject!!!

I feel that Bognor in particular felt rather hard done by when it was disparaged by  the (alleged) Last Words of King George V.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/quotes/last-words/king-george-v.html

Something had to be done to repair the towns image!

(btw Miss Herne Bay seems to have a touch of the Susan George about her...)

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1

Seeing as its Summer, here's an LMS poster for that gem of the North Wirral, New Brighton!

976605598_NewBrighton.jpeg.ed2884363bf1c712fd0e626d57153468.jpeg

You'd never think that stretch of water in the background is the mouth of the Mersey, would you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Seeing as its Summer, here's an LMS poster for that gem of the North Wirral, New Brighton!

You'd never think that stretch of water in the background is the mouth of the Mersey, would you?

•  I suggest  the top right (albeit carefully cropped) does have a touch of Mersey colouring about it. Perhaps the artist (Sep E Setz?) cribbed it from a more familiar Norman Wilkinson coloured LMS coastal scene poster?
    Can anyone put a name to the 1930s pre-Queen Mary three funnelled Cunarder?

• Bexhill gets my vote for the office junior's attempts at life drawing from memory (which is how  all commercial artists first start)  

dh 

The fire at Hydarpasa was a good 10 years ago but a deal of restoration work is still required before it could be used again.  Unfortunately, the present government prefers shiny new, extravagant projects above any sort of conservation. 

Alan 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

26 minutes ago, Buhar said:

The fire at Hydarpasa was a good 10 years ago but a deal of restoration work is still required before it could be used again.  Unfortunately, the present government prefers shiny new, extravagant projects above any sort of conservation. 

Alan 

A hackneyed cliche for authoritarian regimes

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh, alright then, write out 100 times”I must not post piccies of XL women on Mr. Edwardians site” As recompense, Here’s some excellent photos of a very evocative trip which will land you up in Istanbul. It isn’t exactly pregroup, but in time it’s much nearer then than it is now.

https://retours.eu/en/01-simplon-orient-express-1950-england/#

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Oh, alright then, write out 100 times”I must not post piccies of XL women on Mr. Edwardians site” As recompense, Here’s some excellent photos of a very evocative trip which will land you up in Istanbul. It isn’t exactly pregroup, but in time it’s much nearer then than it is now.

https://retours.eu/en/01-simplon-orient-express-1950-england/#

8 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Thanks - there's a long-running thread on http://forum.e-train.fr, the French equivalent of RMweb, which uses these photos to try to work out the composition of the train at every point in its journey from Paris to Istanbul in 1950, and how to represent it in model form.  You should get Routier du Nord to take a look at it...

I've seen these, they're both great. 

If someone could reconstruct the Simplon Orient Express in 1934, year of the Christie novel, I'd be unable to resist ....

Pre-Great War with varnished wood clerestories would also be quite something! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the Austrian manufacturer Lilliput did a WL diner and sleeper, the old teak jobs with clerestory roof in HO. If I remember right the diner was based on the one involved in the 1918 armistice. Sometimes turned out in blue, but noteworthy in having all the lettering in Relief above the windows. They should still be around to pick up second hand.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think this is the set Northroader has in mind. The official Wagon-Lits diffusion site has a drawing of the early Orient Express matériel; the Trix set seems to represent the 1909 rame, minus one wagon-lits, though the corridor side elevations don't quite match up. 

When we visited the Orient Express before, we were given a link to a topic on that French forum where someone was modelling the train (at some year, I forget which - 1930s?) complete with the appropriate locomotives early on. I recall going weak at the knees at his Nord pacific, on the first page.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No, not the Trix one, here’s a diner on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LILIPUT-26000-CIWL-ORIENT-EXPRESS-RESTAUANT-CAR-COACH-2419-MINT-BOXED-ns/143334902972?hash=item215f6d0cbc:g:JtoAAOSwhVFdNAKp 

“Buy it now, James” Satan whispers....

Edited by Northroader
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Just coming back to make sure I've counted those wagon-lits correctly, as I'm having difficulty in that department this evening. Yes, three wagon-lits in the diagramme Orient Express diverses epoques 2, just two in the Trix set.