1 hour ago, runs as required said:

about untidiness 

This is what was to be posted by the Volunteer Cavalry Occifer Commanding had his camera battery not expired under him2081484875_railwayroom.jpg.d6fc28514ea87245f0169999351f0490.jpg

trouble is I'm a Mr Toad ..... there is always a further distraction following along behind   poop poop !    

Life is far too short; finishing the 1:1 scale west wing restoration is a current priority.   

Seems to me to be a perfectly rational use of a room. After all rooms were invented to put stuff in.

And if people object then ask them to tidy it up - I once had a neighbour who complained that my nature strip (the grass verge between the road and the footpath outside most Australian homes) needed mowing because it was lowering the standard of the street. The idea that the street had a standard was new to me.  I said "Well if you don't like it, you mow it" and damn me he did, and did I feel a twinge of guilt? of course not - P. T. Barnum had a wise saying about that. 

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, runs as required said:

I had to have it explained to me that it is a Yinglish pun about unfathomableWelsh syllables and vowels

erm.....

about untidiness 

This is what was to be posted by the Volunteer Cavalry Occifer Commanding had his camera battery not expired under him

trouble is I'm a Mr Toad ..... there is always a further distraction following along behind   poop poop !    

Life is far too short; finishing the 1:1 scale west wing restoration is a current priority.   

The base board eventually grew to nearly 12 foot long by just short of 5 foot; then got moved out of the family room across the landing into my study once the whole gang of cousins found it much more exciting challenging grandma at ping pong instead. 

The idea was to simulate the eldest two grandchildren's frequent trips north from King+ to Newcastle in the days of the GNER. Then they'd proceed onwards to Inverness - where the Grandfather who outranked me resided (he'd been a Dartmouth cadet in 1945 aboard HMS Vanguard and had served as part of a Allied guard assembled to witness the surrender of the Japanese to McArthur in Yokohama harbour.)

The diagram of the roundy-round is fuzzily visible in the foreground - Kings+ was a sort of fiddle yard inside the 3 track oval . 

The heyday for me was setting up my weathered LNW G2A (with sound) wheezing around tender-cab first with a long rake of lime-caked empties. It would plod along at a scale 3 miles an hour for hours on end while I worked on my laptop beside it. I always pictured it ascending around Combs Moss (and Chapel South) and crossing above the mouth of the Midland mainline tunnel.

I much prefer small modelling projects nowadays undertaken for others.

Edwardian said he'd go away and ponder what could be the fate of such a white elephant (in the room). 

dh

I don’t feel so bad about the state of my workshop now - can’t get past my door, but will have to tackle it soon to get to the larger project at the back! Living in an old cottage where space is limited, it is too easy to fill the workshops with materials/objects  which might come in handy for projects, sometime in the future!  Also  preferring the smaller projects, which I can enjoy working on a modelling tray on my lap! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

It is a pretty engine isn't it? I love how clean it is. I also like that you get a view good enough to produce a model from, of the loco shed.

Indeed. I'm genuinely tempted considering I now know it's local.  Don't have a 4-4-0 yet... 

6 hours ago, runs as required said:

about untidiness 

This is what was to be posted by the Volunteer Cavalry Occifer Commanding had his camera battery not expired under him

Its not what I'd call untidy, there's room to move about without having to step over heaps of filing on the floor....

Admittedly yes, if there's a railway under the stuff on the table in the middle then it might be a cause for concern, but I'd classify that as "ongoing".  I do like the cumulus cloud suspended over the window end of the layout too!

The A Class ...

Certainly the look of Beyer Peacock's 4-4-0 designs seemed to have changed after the Gorton firm built early Adams SW designs on contract.

The relevance to CA is twofold.  The A Class (available as a Peter K kit) would be an ideal visitor and could bring either Midland Clayton clerestory bogies - a portion of "the Leicester"? - or one of the wonderfully mongrel M&GN trains of the period; Eastern & Midland Large Stock 4-wheelers, ex-GN and ex-MR 6-wheelers.

Second, we have discussed a freelance Beyer, a WNR equivalent of the A Class.  This resulted from my plan to convert a Hornby Adams Radial tank to a 'Steamroller' for Barnstaple Town.  What is a mixed traffic class on the SW is an express passenger class on the WN.

Deliveries of the A Class began in 1882, to the Lynn & Fakenham.  Martin's picture looks to be of No.34, of the final batch delivered (to the Eastern & Midland) in 1886. The class totalled 15.

The location of Martin's photograph is Cromer.  The driver, Jack Ball, appears to have added a polished chimney band, while Jonathan is astute in noticing what looks like a decorative element on the lamp iron, which looks as if it could well be the company crest.  I wonder what event it represented? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Indeed. I'm genuinely tempted considering I now know it's local.  Don't have a 4-4-0 yet... 

You may recall my Oxford Rail Adams Radial conversion for the Blackstone & Marshland? Something like that ought to do for you. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, runs as required said:

I had to have it explained to me that it is a Yinglish pun about unfathomableWelsh syllables and vowels

erm.....

about untidiness 

This is what was to be posted by the Volunteer Cavalry Occifer Commanding had his camera battery not expired under him2081484875_railwayroom.jpg.d6fc28514ea87245f0169999351f0490.jpg

The base board eventually grew to nearly 12 foot long by just short of 5 foot; then got moved out of the family room across the landing into my study once the whole gang of cousins found it much more exciting challenging grandma at ping pong instead. 

The idea was to simulate the eldest two grandchildren's frequent trips north from King+ to Newcastle in the days of the GNER. Then they'd proceed onwards to Inverness - where the Grandfather who outranked me resided (he'd been a Dartmouth cadet in 1945 aboard HMS Vanguard and had served as part of a Allied guard assembled to witness the surrender of the Japanese to McArthur in Yokohama harbour.)

The diagram of the roundy-round is fuzzily visible in the foreground - Kings+ was a sort of fiddle yard inside the 3 track oval . 

The heyday for me was setting up my weathered LNW G2A (with sound) wheezing around tender-cab first with a long rake of lime-caked empties. It would plod along at a scale 3 miles an hour for hours on end while I worked on my laptop beside it. I always pictured it ascending around Combs Moss (and Chapel South) and crossing above the mouth of the Midland mainline tunnel.

I much prefer small modelling projects nowadays undertaken for others.

Edwardian said he'd go away and ponder what could be the fate of such a white elephant (in the room). 

dh

What to do, what to do?

The board is, IIRC, 11'7" x 4'7", though RasR can correct me on that.

The original track layout (it's all there, under the rubble), could be maintained, with Edwardian building a cardboard King's Cross, but that was a particular scheme for a particular purpose at a particular time.

RasR has an eclectic collection of British outline OO and Continental outline HO.  He deserves to have some means of watching these trains go by.

Really, it would take the considerable talent of Paul Lunn to make the best of the space to include RasR's competing requirements.

Absent a more ingenious solution, my immediate thought was to make one side UK and the other Europe.  They could be separated either by a backscene down the middle, or, as I'd prefer to try, high ground; Peak District one side, something rocky and Mediterranean on the other?.

RasR informed me that he likes a bit of shunting, so, perhaps, each side should have its station/yard, but otherwise the scenes back-to-back form a continuous loop. The provisions of sidings would allow each side to be the fiddle yard to the other.  

Suggestions on the back of a postcard ...

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I might have a play around and see what I can come up with... 

One scenario, though I don't know David's stocklist, would be to model a scene which could pass equally for Western Europe or East/South East England...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I might have a play around and see what I can come up with... 

One scenario, though I don't know David's stocklist, would be to model a scene which could pass equally for Western Europe or East/South East England...

IIRC he has some French and Italian motive power.  Did I see Swiss? He muttered something about the Orient Express

Although lime workings in the Peak got a mention, he did have some SR motive power.  I also spotted an Oxford Rail Dean Goods, but was too polite to mention it. 

• Funny 3

Hmmm...

I'm just recalling a scheme I had a long time ago that permitted alternate use of GER, M&GN, SR (Eastern), Dutch and Belgian stock... But that was a much smaller layout where the scenery would have been basic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Hmmm...

I'm just recalling a scheme I had a long time ago that permitted alternate use of GER, M&GN, SR (Eastern), Dutch and Belgian stock... But that was a much smaller layout where the scenery would have been basic.

You fascinate me strangely with such talk ....

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Try Czech.

Or Croat, where "r" is a vowel.  First encounter is when asking a  taxi driver to take you to a hotel on one of the city squares - a square in Croat is Trg and I gather that if mispronounced by the temptation to insert a vowel (terg for example) is rather rude.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

You fascinate me strangely with such talk ....

Basically I was going to model a flat landscape with interchangeable buildings and swap-able signals. :P 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Is a particularly charismatic sheep about to leap off a cliff, and the rest of the herd follow it without really thinking about the implications?

And we like sheep have gone astray ...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

Basically I was going to model a flat landscape with interchangeable buildings and swap-able signals. :P 

Plenty of spots like that in all the countries within the British Isles (eg that beautiful minimalist Cwm Pryswr thread)- as well as in Europe.

And thank you for pursuing alternatives to address my shaming secret - the trackwork certainly ought to be brutally "rationalised" (rather as the GWR Edwardian  Bicester cut-off was SE of Aynho?) also the baseboard ought to be pruned back an extension or two.

And James: you are right about my eclecticism though I don't recall you being all that polite while you remarked on random Lanky tanks and weathered Dukedogs.

As for the catch all 00/H0 scale: I first fell in love with FS Picasso railcars cycling in N France/Belgium in 1954 and Prussian P8s on honeymoon on the Orient Express through Macedonia in 1961 (both very flat barren landscapes).

For Kevin:

I can award you 4 marks for that answer on HH's sheep though more marks can be earned for a more topical answer 

For James

'for we like sheep...' I sincerely hopeNOT

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

And we like sheep have gone astray ...

Because the "sheep" that jumped is actually a balloon full of hot air which floats off without a care whilst the sheep plummet to their doom.

But I like the idea of a two sided layout where each side is either for running, or serves as the fiddle yard when the other side is running. The layout could rehabilitate the (correctly) maligned 00/H0 designation

• Like 3

11 hours ago, runs as required said:

about untidiness

The giant meringue suspended from the ceiling surely helps you get a sugar fix when the slow pace of various projects are getting you down.

On the subject of colours on sheep there are some modelled on the Dartmoor scene at Pendon which are a brownish pink, painted that shade apparently, to represent the colouration left by the chemical dip of the mid-20s to mid-30s which was something I was unaware of, all the photos of inter-war sheep that I've seen show them as a pale grey.

Dsc00318.jpg.26f26707bd479775900d7a97e0e94b7e.jpg

• Like 4

And James: you are right about my eclecticism though I don't recall you being all that polite while you remarked on random Lanky tanks and weathered Dukedogs.

Perfectly happy with the mix, and perfectly complimentary re same. You are projecting your own fears of random eclecticism!  I say "embrace it!"

As for the catch all 00/H0 scale: I first fell in love with FS Picasso railcars cycling in N France/Belgium in 1954 and Prussian P8s on honeymoon on the Orient Express through Macedonia in 1961 (both very flat barren landscapes).

Flat Europe then. What about the UK side, and what separates the two scenes?