The huge bound volume of copies of ‘Boys Own Paper’ that I used to have contained a wonderful coloured lithograph of a railway engineer, roused from sleep in the middle of the night, shooting at one of the Lions of Tsavo from his bunk. Very exciting stuff, with the interior of the carriage lit by the muzzle flash.

Cunning, though, because they reused the same picture, in b+w with strategic alterations, to illustrate a story about a chap shooting the head off a striking cobra.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Wild animals on owner's vans... 1s per mile per van; and the returned empty vans are charged as four-wheeled carriages.

- I think that means, in road vans loaded on carriage trucks or similar. Alternatively:

Elephants, if carried in horse boxes ... according to the number of stalls occupied. (i.e. at horse rate)

When a cattle truck is used ... 9d per mile.

When a vehicle is specially fitted up [...] ... 1s per mile per vehicle.

Elephants, carried in covered carriage trucks ... 1s per mile per truck whether the truck is specially strengthened or not.

[Midland Railway TT, July, August, and September, 1903]

But I dare say Barnum & Bailey negotiated a rate for their train as a whole, so probably worked out cheaper per elephant. Minimum fare 10 miles.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not pregrouping but at least fairly close to Norfolk, i remember elephants arriving at Cambridge by rail in the 1970s.

I really must take care what posters I present you with. Either that or see how many pages of response I can elicit per poster.

How about this one? I don't think it has appeared here before, but it may give Edwardian a few ideas.

Jonathan

NER Yorkshire Dales.jpg

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Not pregrouping but at least fairly close to Norfolk, i remember elephants arriving at Cambridge by rail in the 1970s.

I really must take care what posters I present you with. Either that or see how many pages of response I can elicit per poster.

How about this one? I don't think it has appeared here before, but it may give Edwardian a few ideas.

Jonathan

NER Yorkshire Dales.jpg

Yes, the idea it gives me is that the NER's "bring your recreational drugs to work day" was probably not the best idea ....

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

31 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I think it was the artist who took up something; something really mellow.

I think we've been there before, and so had the artist...

https://www.literarynorfolk.co.uk/poppyland.htm

3 hours ago, webbcompound said:

and to return to the Far East (or Norfolk) you could have lions arriving at Castle Aching by rail, but the only UK photo I can find at the moment is the Barnum and Bailey Elephant van.

barnum.jpg

"I thought I was supposed to be travelling First Class!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

NER Yorkshire Dales.jpg

OI! Who let those LARPers in?

• Funny 1

On 02/08/2019 at 12:58, runs as required said:

•  I suggest  the top right (albeit carefully cropped) does have a touch of Mersey colouring about it. Perhaps the artist (Sep E Setz?) cribbed it from a more familiar Norman Wilkinson coloured LMS coastal scene poster?
    Can anyone put a name to the 1930s pre-Queen Mary three funnelled Cunarder?

The only three stack Cunarder other than Queen Mary was the Berengaria, acquired from the Germans as a war reparation in 1920 for the loss of the Lusitania. She was launched in 1912 as the Imperator and, at 52,117 tons and 909 feet long o.a., was for a time the largest ship in the world. Although she was to stay in service until the Queen Elizabeth was completed, Berengaria had to be withdrawn in 1938 after a series of electrical fires. Re-wiring would have been too costly and she was sent to Jarrow in December 1938 for scrapping.

Curiously, it is doubtful that Berengaria made many voyages to or from Liverpool, as she maintained the North Atlantic service with Mauritania (until withdrawn around 1936), Acquitania and latterly the Queen Mary. All in all, Berengaria seems to have been popular with passengers.

Dana

Edited by Dana Ashdown
Clarifying the number of three stackers.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

As a designer of quite a few FUD models for over 6 years, I'd suggest that most rivet and bolt work on prominent flat surfaces should not be on the CAD. Doing so in FUD prevents smoothing of the surface and shapeways' FUD prints with small protruding details 'drag up' from beneath the protruding detail, spoiling the surface and definition.

Just because something could be printed in a single piece doesn't mean it should be. The best solution (in my opinion) with FUD is to smooth and prepare the print surface then apply archer rivet decals afterwards.

Many CAD designers are desperate to add everything on to the print, which produces lovely looking CADs but makes for models which are extremely difficult to finish to an acceptable standard (again, for me). Perhaps newer technologies will overcome this but certainly the current shapeways FUD offerings you have to design around those limitations a little.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 6

I personally think, looking at the Lion print that the more serious concern is Shapeways' relatively poor surface finish, even in FUD, compared with Photon resin prints. I also can't blame Rudi for simply scaling up the original model for Lion as at the time I don't think he realised the demand for early stuff in 00, and not being a 00 modeller himself there was little motivation to spend a lot of time on something he himself had no use for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow, - you've done a lot of work on that 3D print and it's certainly looking better for it.  At the time when I had to give up modelling I had only just started to use 3d prints for 7mm narrow gauge so my own experience of them is fairly limited.  On one hand is the convenience of being able to get a model that may never be available in RTR or kit form, but on the other hand is all the trials of sanding and priming/filling in order to get a good paintable surface.  In some cases I did wonder if it would have been simpler and easier to just scratch build the model!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

These new resin printers do seem to be the way forward Sem and the results that I've seen here on the forums have been very good with a surface finish that even the best of older generation of home printers can't achieve.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

This is why my family (I can't say 'I' honestly) invested in a resin printer... Okay so not everything works first time, but most things have worked pretty well.

You guys are lucky. No way would we be able to afford one ourselves. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I picked up a 1 yr old FDM printer on Saturday for £50 off gumtree. Having fun, so far pretty successfully. It isn't good enough for modelling work but it has tempted me into looking at the photon printers. Up until this generation of resin printers I've not seen anything which was close enough to tempt me, but a photon for under £250, if I could get a couple of commissioned locos I could pay for it!