15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

When we visited the Orient Express before, we were given a link to a topic on that French forum where someone was modelling the train (at some year, I forget which - 1930s?) complete with the appropriate locomotives early on. I recall going weak at the knees at his Nord pacific, on the first page.

First page (of 85, 1274 messages) at http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82796  The year was 1950, as in the series of photos for "Life" magazine mentioned above.

Edited by Tom Burnham
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

First page (of 85, 1274 messages) at http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82796

Thank-you - I'm overcome with the vapeurs!

Some wonderful railway French there: le train nouvellement composé repart vers le sud est au crochet d'une 231 G - hooked up to, I suppose we'd say. As to his comment on the remarkable haulage capacity of the Riva 141R: une capacité de traction proprement époustouflant.

Et voici on discute les voitures CIWL en teck.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Presumably there's just enough give in the whitemetal to get the wheelsets in?

52 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, I have tested that.

One would hope so...

Overcome with the Vapeurs? I'm suffering from deja vu !

Well Done! Are those white metal wagons glued using your new £8 tube of cyan something ?

(And one other question: Ive forgotten the Epson A3 printer code the printable buildings man recommended last week.)

My tennersworth of Les Turnbull's "Early Railways of the Derwent Valley" is proving a gem. I didn't realise some Waggonways went back to wrapping around the Civil War, then confiscations and beheadings following the 1715 rising.

"Our" Prince Bishop: the infamous Nathaniel Lord Crewe is in the thick of it. Instead of wearing his Prince's Crown and keeping the Scots out,  he is busy under his Bishop's mitre profiting from Church land holdings and advocating his London drone nephew as a leading colliery owner. No wonder he grew so fat he had to be carried around dining in his over inflated parsonages. 

(I'll post more Celeb gossip on the Early railways thread).

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Overcome with the Vapeurs? I'm suffering from deja vu !

Well Done! Are those white metal wagons glued using your new £8 tube of cyan something ?

(And one other question: Ive forgotten the Epson A3 printer code the printable buildings man recommended last week.)

My tennersworth of Les Turnbull's "Early Railways of the Derwent Valley" is proving a gem. I didn't realise some Waggonways went back to wrapping around the Civil War, then confiscations and beheadings following the 1715 rising.

"Our" Prince Bishop: the infamous Nathaniel Lord Crewe is in the thick of it. Instead of wearing his Prince's Crown and keeping the Scots out,  he is busy under his Bishop's mitre profiting from Church land holdings and advocating his London drone nephew as a leading colliery owner. No wonder he grew so fat he had to be carried around dining in his over inflated parsonages. 

(I'll post more Celeb gossip on the Early railways thread).

dh

Yes, using the new "wonder gel"

Epson Expression Photo XP-960, which reminds me, I must order one. 

Look forward to further gen on the waggonways.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, runs as required said:

"Our" Prince Bishop: the infamous Nathaniel Lord Crewe is in the thick of it. Instead of wearing his Prince's Crown and keeping the Scots out,  he is busy under his Bishop's mitre profiting from Church land holdings and advocating his London drone nephew as a leading colliery owner.

Don't forget that the Jacobite uprisings were not simply Scots against English, but Jacobites against Hanovarians.  There were English Jacobites and Scots Hanovarians.  Many Lairds were canny enough to get one son to join one side and another to join the other irrespective of where their loyalties lay.  That way their lands were likely to stay in the family whoever won!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Edited for spelling error
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Don't forget that the Jacobite uprisings were not simply Scots against English, but Jacobites against Hanovarians.  There were English Jacobites and Scots Hanovarians.  Many Lairds were canny enough to get one son to join one side and another to join the other irrespective of where their loyalties lay.  That way their lands were likely to stay in the family whoever won!

Jim

The Young Pretender recruited well in Lancashire, whereas the Lowland Scots made up a lot of Government troops and rather embraced the opportunity of putting down the Highlanders.  Politics is more complex than shortbread tin iconography might at times suggest!

EDIT: I think, though, that RasR was referring to the traditional rationale for the Bishops' lay title and power; their function was in part military, to combat Scottish incursions.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

.... Politics is more complex than shortbread tin iconography might at times suggest!

EDIT: I think, though, that RaR was referring to the traditional rationale for the Bishops' lay title and power; their function was in part military, to combat Scottish incursions.

That's been the core of issues around these parts since the C7 when Lindisfarne/Jarrow/Hexham early Christians were attacked by the Invading Viking Norsemen and Danes. 

There is a complex political fault line hereabouts  (and still is right now!). 

After the Norsemen's Norman Conquest in 1066, they quickly consolidated their grip. But the north continued to be prone to uprisings. By 1090 the  County Palatine of Durham had evolved where the bishop was a military earl defending the realm as well as spiritual leader of the diocese: Prince Bishops with a fortified Castle in Durham and a hunting Palace at Bishop Auckland were truly powerful.

The 1085 Domesday book, assessing the Crown's assets excludes the northern 'lands' because in effect the Bishop of Durham served as the King's Taxman/assessor supervising the scribes (though he afterwards got hanged for his profiteering).

Our village south of the Tyne was burnt and pillaged by Braveheart William Wallace after his raid on Newcastle in 1295. Some say the villagers jeered and provoked the Scots as they passed on the north bank, others say the benefactor and Rector of the parish Alain de Easingwold was known  to  support  Wallace's rival. 

The Scots in 1640, defeated Newcastle's Royalists at the battle of Newburn*  (just opposite us over the Tyne) by placing a cannon on the roof of the Saxon church tower. Nevertheless after the Civil War a Scots army ended up imprisoned by Cromwell, locked inside in Durham cathedral for the duration of the Lord Protector's Commonwealth 1652-1660. They burnt every stick of wood in the great building in try ing to keep warm; many died.

pediment.jpg.578bfc9b532b5ccb50e96829c7421fc1.jpg

These are the arms of Bishop Nathaniel Lord Crewe (Bish from 1674 -1721) with his mitre and Earl's coronet carved in lush detail over the door of our bit of the great gaunt Rectory. The front was over-expanded after the 1660 Restoration as a kind of thin skin of advertising billboard over the medieval building behind. The message "we are back so up yours" inscribed over the front door to greet parish callers . 

Both the Jacobite rising of 1715 and Bonny Prince Charlie's i745 incursion as far south as Derby were ignored by the Prince Bishops - too busy consolidating mining revenues from beneath church lands.

So the Durham Bishops had become strategically useless; the Prince Bishop's dual role was terminated in the County Palatine Act of 1836. 

Archdeacon Charles Thorp, incumbent of this Parish of Ryton at the time was responsible for all the fabric of the Diocese from the Tees to the Tweed; he'd just finished strengthening Norham Castle on the Tweed. Now he had to dispose of the redundant Durham Castle. Sitting in my railway room he conceived a project to re-use the castle as the new University of Durham to train clergy for the growing populations of the new industrial conurbations.

dh

*Newburn was the Armstrongs' name for the GWR Engineer's Swindon residence  

• Informative/Useful 9

Similarly our Newcastle down here has had a turbulent violent history. Mainly on one day in 1979 when they shut down the Star Hotel and 4000 people had a riot.

Don't think that William Wallace was involved, but Mel Gibson was still living here then..

radical_newcastle_hero.jpg.dc0d80d2ba61c58760302d5c97b739ec.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been tempted by the Met more than just the once.

Too deeply entrenched into Norfolk to change now though.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The practical yet stylish Metropolitan Railway Guards’ uniform.

Mmmmmmm....  Calf length boots, with heels.  Bet they button up too!

Deep breath.   Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd....

Better!

Nice station, that goods yard looks expansive compared with the passenger facilities!

Edited by Hroth
Typo that I noticed as I clicked submit...
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Too expansive. The GWR was too near to make goods traffic very profitable, but passenger traffic shot-up, so the current passenger station was built in the goods yard in the early 1930s, and the initial station got razed to create car sidings.

4BAFDFC9-F359-4078-82B0-189BC453E5AD.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, runs as required said:

*Newburn was the Armstrongs' name for the GWR Engineer's Swindon residence  

Subtle. One wonders exactly how they got on with the southern, Tory, board. Sir Daniel Gooch Bt MP turned establishment big time.

Are those not leather shoes worn with lace-up stockings of some heavy material, overlayed by lace-up leather gaiters? - having made a thorough study of wagon sheets, I'm a confirmed eyelet, not rivet, counter and hence attuned to such things.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Too expansive. The GWR was too near to make goods traffic very profitable, but passenger traffic shot-up, so the current passenger station was built in the goods yard in the early 1930s, and the initial station got razed to create car sidings.

4BAFDFC9-F359-4078-82B0-189BC453E5AD.jpeg

Oh, where did you get those boots? My mum would love a pair of those! 

• Like 1

What interests me about that Met uniform is that, rather than a single overall colour (a very dark blue?), as seems the norm for railway company servants, we have a contrasting facing colour.  This is an essentially military feature, as a regiment's facings were traditionally a means of identification.  Here another military feature is the polish cuff.  This and the collar and cuffs are neatly edged with braid/cord. 

227301180_MetRyFemaleConductor02(1916).jpg.b328a005d328ea6cc1540d3fb7d30d5a.jpg727393855_MetRyFemaleConductor01a(1916).jpg.7649fd37459485a67a6b251d2bccf1ee.jpg   

If that were a regimental uniform, I'd interpret it as dark blue, faced red, with yellow or white braiding. 

With the facings and waisted tunic, it's rather a smart, even elegant uniform. 

Great War female tram crew by contrast are often seen in great coats, though I notice that Glasgow Corporation furnished their drivers and conductors with waited jackets worn, rather splendidly, with tartan skirts.  

751485004_GlasgowCorporationfemaletramcrew1918.jpg.375df196a049bf6749d3a1d73d16a6e6.jpg

I should think being a train guard was, however, about as glamorous as wartime female jobs go on the railways; I have also seen pictures of women as porter, goods yard staff and as locomotive and carriage cleaners.

493609466_LYLococleanersBradford-23-03-1917.jpg.befdb9a07f904c4d533bb70b6e69abfb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2