17 hours ago, Donw said:

I dont believe that the sketch has been re-drawn. I think there would be more variation in the figures. I suspect that it has been manipulated to  get a mirror image (why?) and a bit of tidying up has been done.

When I was editing the Gauge 0 Gazette digital photography was new and domestic ones poor quality. Professionals like Tony Wright were generally still using film. However I could take a scan of photos and import them into Pagemaker to show Artytype how I wanted them and any cropping. Artytype would then re-scan them using a professional quality scanner to do the final make up. I had a great working relationship with Ade at Artytype. He enjoyed working with photos and would come up with some great ideas but would respect it when I explained that a poor photo was needed because it showed some facit of modelling and he would do his best to bring it out even if it offended his artistic sense. It also enabled us to run photos across two pages as he would take the time to get it right.

Don 

Why?  When one views the whole of both the original, (which I am not in a position to publish online) and the published versions of the cartoon I would suggest the published version looks more balanced artistically and it may be the reversal took place just because someone (CJF?) thought it looked better in mirror image.  Other than that I have no idea and if, as appears to be the case, the Peco archives do not contain correspondence between PD and CJF then this is a mystery we will never solve until we all eventually meet up at that great model railway club in the heaven's.

Malcolm

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

Why?  When one views the whole of both the original, (which I am not in a position to publish online) and the published versions of the cartoon I would suggest the published version looks more balanced artistically and it may be the reversal took place just because someone (CJF?) thought it looked better in mirror image.  Other than that I have no idea and if, as appears to be the case, the Peco archives do not contain correspondence between PD and CJF then this is a mystery we will never solve until we all eventually meet up at that great model railway club in the heaven's.

Malcolm

Quite simply if hand drawn I would expect the figures not to be exact mirror images. That suggests manipulation of the original.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Isn't that Ruth Davidson in the first picture?

On the left?

For the avoidance of doubt, the sentence above is intended to convey humour and should not be taken seriously, etc. etc.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Meanwhile, the personal shuttle of Darth Mogg touches down at Balmoral.

I just felt so sorry for the Queen when I saw that Gauleiter Mogg had been sent to Balmoral

From now on, on any occasion, the Union Jack will be flown upside down....

Is there still room on the Naughty Step?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I just felt so sorry for the Queen when I saw that Gauleiter Mogg had been sent to Balmoral

From now on, on any occasion, the Union Jack will be flown upside down....

Is there still room on the Naughty Step?

The Queen probably thinks the train was delayed and he is a visitor for her great great grand Mother..

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

meanwhile I plot to obtain a  Yorkshire passport

Just like selection for the cricket team used to be (in the good old days) you cannot have one unless you were born there!

I even know of people who went "home" to make sure that there son/daughter qualified!

Ian T

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 15/07/2018 at 01:31, phil_sutters said:

Stop being so frivolous on a serious thread like this. There's far too much at stake. However, I'll forgive you this time, as you do make some useful points from time to time.

my contribution pales by comparison.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m rather surprised at the somewhat cardboard quality of the model making in Star Wars.

Why so, given the paper thin credibility of the script, and the wooden acting. Seems perfectly in keeping to me..,