• RMweb Premium

That crossing. Which company got there first?  That company will be in control and have a signal box (to the cost of which the other company had to contribute) and have signals on both lines.

For a real life example see the crossing between the Pensnett Railway and the GWR at Round Oak. Other examples are available, such as in Llanelly.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 3

https://punch.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=52&_bqH=eJzzNc9M9nLxK6.szEov8CmJCqsMMc0z9K1wNDSxMjEztTI0MABhIOkZ7xLsbBuUmJlTnlhZrAbmxjv6udiWANmhwa5B8Z4utqEgpVleWZmmQUl5OZ7pavGOziG2xamJRckZAPvMIUc-&GI_ID=

Now, does anyone here admit that they'd be swooning over DP1 rather than the GER 0-6-0T? Or at least the 0-6-0T looks like a J69 (I'm afraid I don't speak Great Eastern), looking at the tanks. Also it appears to be dual braked, another indication of its heritage. And that chimney too.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

No.

And that's a picture that speaks a thousand words!

29 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Spurn Point railway?

Yup, in 1933 according to this lovely website.

A joy to catch up with this thread, as ever. Bishop's Lynn is set to become something very fine indeed, and I loved the supporting photos. Turn-of-the-century docks never cease to fascinate :)

Cheers all,

Schooner

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Now, does anyone here admit that they'd be swooning over DP1 rather than the GER 0-6-0T?

Well........

I must admit to being terrified when a small child, standing by what must have been an EE Type 4 when it ran its engines up prior to departure.  However, I also must say that at the same time I was rather taken by the "modern" aesthetics of Deltic!

One of my favourite Emett cartoons (which I can't locate online at the moment) is in "The Early Morning Milk Train" and depicts a typically Emett train approaching an open swing bridge with a sailing boat passing through.  The driver of the train is consulting his rule book and ruminating on "does steam give way to sail"...

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

Completely off topic, :offtopic:  but while scrolling through the Emett cartoons I came across one that I'd seen many years ago but mentally ascribed for some reason, to Giles of the Daily Express!

https://punch.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=32&_bqH=eJxtT11rwjAU_TX2ZS.do3MIeUiTq9zNppIPIU.XbpbO4nRMwb._3CJb2Qzk5HzkJFyYYlfmp8v6kcpP3..6WTxOZ03rAeZPD_P7POedEEk7Jezxsm8O2zv4aM_nDMlp6WFSlFU1KbQYGVqzofXIimmxyWey4W8V_lfhdlWhj8NnPsVMVB2Mt5HQ1Sxri2BShrVhiY4srEA60Fe5HmtXWy.sNC_ZMCNJowXPFhxYQi0Cz98_97vCvh722KVog9YHuSK5BKMiX8pIlYTp4VS90vBD7eKXVkyl8uLUNl9v79lmaC8HVIzfwf1zxA--&GI_ID=

It stuck in my mind only because of the notice outside the tearoom

"If the day be wet and soggy, please do not bring in your doggie!"

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 20/08/2019 at 11:21, Edwardian said:

There was the Alexandra Dock ...

911772649_KingsLynnAlexandraDock05.jpg.df62339712465209b60c7ee9f623c69b.jpg435398149_KingsLynnAlexandraDock06.jpg.a9e75ba3fcc88c5422bfc0cf8123e5d9.jpg

Hum... wagons. R. COLLER? 

I visited Kings Lynn once. The thing that's stuck in my mins is the dedication of the Minster church to St Margaret, St Mary Magdalene, and all Virgin Martyrs, which still has me confused.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I visited Kings Lynn once. The thing that's stuck in my mins is the dedication of the Minster church to St Margaret, St Mary Magdalene, and all Virgin Martyrs, which still has me confused.

It's alright: they didn't have to be local.

(Only in some interpretations is St. Mary Magdalene also the "woman at the well", and if she truly recanted her sins, then would count as a virgin unless she had returned to the path of naughtiness.)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Regularity said:

It's alright: they didn't have to be local.

(Only in some interpretations is St. Mary Magdalene also the "woman at the well", and if she truly recanted her sins, then would count as a virgin unless she had returned to the path of naughtiness.)

Not local, no. St Margaret was of Antioch and famous for surviving being eaten by a dragon and this becoming the patron saint of women in childbirth, which made her very popular in the Middle Ages - and hence her name also. There's a wonderful collection of late medieval wooden statues of saints in the National Museum in Prague, Budapest, or Warsaw - I'm blowed if I can remember which! - each holding their identifying item in the palm of their outstretched hand - for some, the abbey church they'd founded, for others, the implements of their martyrdom -St Catherine with her wheel, St Lucy with her eyes on a plate, and St Margaret with the cutest pocket dragon imaginable. 

Fair point re. St. Mary Magdalene, though I'm not sure such textural niceties were to the fore in early medieval Lynn. 

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

So if I die doing something heroic in the name of the Lord (seems unlikely...) then I automatically have a church dedicated to me in Kings Lynn.

Wow.

There's a motivation to keep on living! Or perhaps to get a life. :P 

Also, I appear to have let a small fact slip. Oh and I'm such a gobsh*te that I'm on 3.600 posts after about 19 months on the forum.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, sem34090 said:

Also, I appear to have let a small fact slip. Oh and I'm such a gobsh*te that I'm on 3.600 posts after about 19 months on the forum.

(a) Don't worry: there's no rush, and you only get one crack (!) at doing it the first time.

(b) Such status and 3,600 posts in 19 months may not be unrelated facts... ;)

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Regularity said:

(a) Don't worry: there's no rush, and you only get one crack (!)

:O As far as I know I'm not that way inclined! Mind you... THIS BIT WAS TOO LEWD/CRUDE

Anyway - Before that train of thought goes way too far - Yes I have a frightfully filthy mind.

at doing it the first time.

(b) Such status and 3,600 posts in 19 months may not be unrelated facts... ;)

Indeed not.

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I've been a martyr to many things over the years, but not in any way likely to lead to my canonisation!

One never knows... You might. :P 

Edited by sem34090
A bit too lewd, even for here...

For my own part I'm the sort who is able to interpret descriptions of bell codes in a lewd fashion- 

2-2: Engine assisting in rear

3-5-5: Restricted acceptance

Or maybe just a crude fashion.

As if the standards around here weren't low enough already!

That's now making me imagine a Narrow Gauge BR Standard 2 Tank... :O

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, sem34090 said:

making me imagine a Narrow Gauge BR Standard 2 Tank

By narrow gauge, are you referring to all those models which run on 4' 1.5" gauge track? 

:whistle:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1