• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Yeah, stick with Blake’s 7

D84A93BE-C43B-4648-823F-5687B35DA252.jpeg.c76a0eff6689794c376d7fe838246cf9.jpeg

Might be cardboard, but it was our cardboard!

I once saw the lovely Jacqueline Pearce at Leicester Square tube station. In fact, I nearly walked into her. Instead, she clocked my double-take and I saw a brief “I’ve still got it” smile appear at the corner of her mouth... 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

8x, surely: we are talking about 3 dimensions...

Of course you are correct  

some days I can barely reach let alone tie my shoes laces thinking in 3d is well beyond me   back to the naughty step for me

Nick

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

except yours is 4x  8 x  larger I raise you a 

20190522_140433.jpg

Nick

And people complain that tension lock couplings are out of scale....  :rolleyes:

And I was just thinking, I don't model the SE&CR but I've got three of their loco classes.

(To be precise, one P, three A1X or whatever the old Dapol/Hornby ones represent, and an H)

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And people complain that tension lock couplings are out of scale....  :rolleyes:

And I was just thinking, I don't model the SE&CR but I've got three of their loco classes.

(To be precise, one P, three A1X or whatever the old Dapol/Hornby ones represent, and an H)

Both models need new wheels coupling rods  couplings and the C probably needs a new chassis

Nick

32 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I know the feeling.  And it's only going to get worse.

415599007_DSCN5352-Copy.JPG.eab4af7ef40b512fadfed1f26c5a5540.JPG

36 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Which is impressive, given that the SE&CR only had the one!

• Like 7

I've just spent the last few minutes trying to spell out words with my SECR locos. Not getting very far with P, C, F, H and R. Maybe I can make up for the lack of vowels with A1 and R1! Or more probably I should just make an O class.

Maybe at exhibitions one could run trains with coded messages depending on how irritating the current viewers were!

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Since one of the three standard classes of locomotive that James Stirling introduced on the South Eastern Railway was designated Q and there was no class U, one is forced to the conclusion that he regularly lost at Scrabble when the family got together for Hogmanay. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Which is impressive, given that the SE&CR only had the one!

Its the same one at 10 minute intervals - must have something to do with that Pyramid vendor* at Paltry Circus....

* HE claimed it would make the trains run on time!

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I've just spent the last few minutes trying to spell out words with my SECR locos. Not getting very far with P, C, F, H and R. Maybe I can make up for the lack of vowels with A1 and R1! Or more probably I should just make an O class.

Maybe at exhibitions one could run trains with coded messages depending on how irritating the current viewers were!

That sort of things been done, Hovis used the head codes of Southern electric trains to spell out their brand name in 1926!

hovis.jpg.b81d5c8521dbe451ae092e91acdcf4e1.jpg

From http://publictransportexperience.blogspot.com/2016/02/southern-electric-electrified-fbb-1.html

"In 1915, when the London and South Western Railway inaugurated their first electric train services, they introduced alphabetical head-codes in lieu of the traditional discs used on steam locomotives so that the general public could more easily identify their train. A 1926 advertisement widely deployed on the railways showed five such trains carrying headcodes H ō V I S along with an explanation (H-Hampton Court, ō-Hounslow, V-Kingston (Thames Valley), I-Dorking North & Effingham and S-Shepperton). The fact that the "clockwise" Hounslow Loop head-code was a slightly height-reduced 'O' topped by a bar led to the rendering of the brand as HōVIS - a rendering that significantly outlasted the advertising campaign."

From Wikipedia article  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hovis

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

Mornin' All,

i will be off the air today, as the day will be spent helping setting up Darlington MRC's annual exhibition.

Facebook Page 

It is hosted by Head of Steam, the museum at Darlington North Road station.  It is a fine museum and well worth a visit if you haven't.

Museum Page

If anyone is in the area, please pop in and make yourself know. 

Have a great weekend folks! 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2