• RMweb Premium

Since bicycles have been mentioned I'll point out that they should be seen in reasonable numbers on pre-grouping roads.  For the 1880's where I'm mucking around at the moment I might have to put my thinking cap on since the usual safety bicycle model I use on my Norfolk railway layout is far too modern.

L-Hochrad.png

• Like 8

4 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

777313_0da7902d.jpg

please keep up instead of going all political

Nick

Oh I see - we want less stream of consciousness digressions because it's getting all muddy and confused  :secret_mini:

Well as they say, life's a ditch.

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Given all this interest in the natural world, and drainage.....

Happy Equinox!

(Autumn/Spring depending on your hemisphere)

And where us Northeners are concerned, welcome to the Long Nights, ideal for modelling, until the cold hits us...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

All this political discussion may seem very off topic but in 1905 PM Balfour resigned and the conservatives lost the following general election to the Liberals. Some on here might welcome the same happening today.

Anarchists are interesting for Anarchy to work would require a universal moral restraint by the people that seems at odds with the feelings of of most Anarchists.  One can get a feeling for the problems if you share a flat with someone who believe their right to play loud music till late trumps your right to a decent nights sleep before work in the morning. In that simple scenario the central dichotomy of Anarchy personal freedom vs common good becomes clear.

Don

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Given all this interest in the natural world, and drainage.....

Happy Equinox!

(Autumn/Spring depending on your hemisphere)

And where us Northeners are concerned, welcome to the Long Nights, ideal for modelling, until the cold hits us...

You want the world to warm up a little then?:scared:

• Funny 2

31 minutes ago, Donw said:

You want the world to warm up a little then?

Not really, I'm a Spring/Autumn sort of person so extremes are not my thing!

I was just being considerate of those who do their modelling in sheds and outhouses which, though perhaps insulated and illuminated, don't have adequate heating.  :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Donw said:

Anarchists are interesting for Anarchy to work would require a universal moral restraint by the people that seems at odds with the feelings of of most Anarchists. 

Sadly the word anarchy has become synonymous with chaos. True, chaos is a sub form of anarchy (“bad anarchy”? Dear me, I sound like Alan Partridge) but true anarchy requires a degree of respect for others that would appear draconian to most so-called “anarchists”.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Long Nights, ideal for modelling

...using, presumably, craft knives - in which case they will of course be The Nights of the Long Knives.

Well, I thought it was a good try anyway.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, Regularity said:

Sadly the word anarchy has become synonymous with chaos. True, chaos is a sub form of anarchy (“bad anarchy”? Dear me, I sound like Alan Partridge) but true anarchy requires a degree of respect for others that would appear draconian to most so-called “anarchists”.

The only real political Anarchists I ever talked to were on an Italian campsite and pitched their tents in two straight lines

They explained they were official (and of the George Orwell variety) on holiday from Barcelona.

:)

dh

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, runs as required said:

The only real political Anarchists I ever talked to were on an Italian campsite and pitched their tents in two straight lines

They explained they were official (and of the George Orwell variety) on holiday from Barcelona.

:)

dh

Sure it has to be like that, we Spaniards are quite prone to do the reverse of what we are told. If no one is telling you to put your tents orderly, of course you do. I do not know why two lines and not one or three...

Carlos

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Northroader said:

one of the leading lights is an anarchist who has the aim of overthrowing capitalism.

Of course, this being Edwardian's thread, any anarchists ( 4 or 5 at most) are safely confined to the shabbier end of Whitechapel, where they are plotting an ineffectual attempt to assassinate Prime Minister Balfour. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

...using, presumably, craft knives - in which case they will of course be The Nights of the Long Knives.

That'll come at the end of next month, then its off to the ditches....

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, I thought it was a good try anyway

Rugby Union too?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

45 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Of course, this being Edwardian's thread, any anarchists ( 4 or 5 at most) are safely confined to the shabbier end of Whitechapel, where they are plotting an ineffectual attempt to assassinate Prime Minister Balfour. 

Quite

1108959106_SiegeofSidneyStreet.jpg.1a3058b47e7d9a003c3bca6492df6b9f.jpg

• Like 6

Such a fascinating picture.

Apart from the Home Secretary sticking his nose in, there's the Peaky Blinder on the far right and the bobby in the middle keeping his eye on the photographer.  Do you think the rozzer to his left came armed for a game shoot?

And then there's the character on the roof above the congregation.  What is he up to?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Such a fascinating picture.

Apart from the Home Secretary sticking his nose in, there's the Peaky Blinder on the far right and the bobby in the middle keeping his eye on the photographer.  Do you think the rozzer to his left came armed for a game shoot?

And then there's the character on the roof above the congregation.  What is he up to?

There's a signalman in the middle? he should be watching trains not photographers..

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Do you think the rozzer to his left came armed for a game shoot?

"Pull!"

544416805_SiegeofSidneyStreet2.jpg.eca2d3b1406afc49a03506f402d5d88c.jpg

Today's Ditch is dedicated to all those seeking to achieve an important change in direction in the face of significant obstructions ....

Ditch_-_geograph_org.uk_-_758357.jpg.26d73d97b367501936d9dd2cef6a4dc4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

One of those chaps in the top hats is Jacob Rees-Mogg and this is his campaign to rid the streets of London of poor grammar and decimal measurements

I read that as "his campaign to rid the streets of London of the poor, grammar school boys, and dissenting parliaments"

Possibly we're both right.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

It was the window in the first picture which caught my eye U.B.L.U.     Lodge 2. 

From which I learned;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Builders'_Labourers_Union

Things you find out on here .

Wonder if the police ever caught whoever nicked the legs of the chap on the shed? 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Dave John said:

It was the window in the first picture which caught my eye U.B.L.U.     Lodge 2. 

From which I learned;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Builders'_Labourers_Union

Things you find out on here .

Wonder if the police ever caught whoever nicked the legs of the chap on the shed? 

Classic Life of Brian territory here; 

In 1902, the union took part in a merger conference with the Navvies, Bricklayers' Labourers and General Labourers Union, the Hull and District Builders' Labourers Union, the National Amalgamated Union of Labour, the London Amalgamated Plumbers' Mates Society, the United Order of General Labourers of London and the National Union of Gas Workers and General Labourers. The meetings lasted several months, but no agreement was reached, and a legacy of distrust between the unions resulted.

Mind you, "meetings lasted several months", that's bound to put people off!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2