1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

And Star Wars wasn’t stretched out?

Painful.....   No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

The first three episodes of Star Wars, ie beginning with Episode IV "A New Hope" were just about supportable as a story arc (as Americans like to say).  But that "Episode IV" bit was a warning that infilling would occur and its just spiralled out of control.

Once they started making the Harry Potter series of films, it was clear what was coming, and that it would be a giant machine for milking the public.  All "adventure yarn" films are started with an expectation of pushing "the franchise" as far as it will go.

1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

Harry Potter is the exact same story as Star Wars in terms of its structural elements: the unknowing young hero who must find himself and prove himself, the aged wise mentor figure who ultimately dies so the hero can determine his future alone, and the classic figure of evil. J K Rowling merely stretched it out over multiple volumes because of the money.

Its all part of the "coming of age" trope.  The reason for the length of the Harry Potter series is that it also borrows from the "school story" theme, with each episode based on a year of the British secondary school system, giving seven in all.  In one way, its a relief that Harry passed his 'O' Levels, otherwise we would have the "resit year" episode to contend with.

At least we didn't have to endure Wizarding University. I think Rowling missed a trick there....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A very useful article K14. 

I have been looking through pictures of Caley engines. I see tyre bolts on wheels prior to about 1890, smooth inners surfaces after that. I conclude that the CR went over to the rivet method or a shrunk on tyre with a type of Gibson ring from about that time.

Something of a relief given that adding the bolt heads to a model wheel would be a bit fiddly. Then again , I have started reading "Caledonian Railway Locomotives, The formative years " by David Hamilton.  Bolts all over the place, though some early engines had long lives. 

Potentially some interesting scratchbuilds in there . 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2019 at 23:40, Donw said:

but a less revealing shot of JA. Besides why skimp on photos.  Here is one by way of nothing more than it being top quality modelling.  It can be found on here see Wenlock's Blog. It is of course dangerously on topic being the right period although it is set in Dorset rather distant from Norfolk and 7mm. Taken at the RMweb Swag meet two years ago.

Sherton.jpg.c58174a4d54a341b50b1e75a25e2104d.jpg 

Interesting load in that third wagon.

Only 4 weeks behind, Martin, keep the pace up, there's a good chap.

I'm quite enjoying the time-shift comments.  "Oh, yes that was a topic."  Putting the quote in helps if you get the urge to pop back, thanks.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another Edwardian image.  I'm sorry Sir, I didn't know it was illegal to do colouring-in....

I will stick to proper Riddles Standards in future.

Certain people of my acquaintance via a Facebook page, among them a currently active steam driver, say the D1 was a better engine, but I put this down to a desire to have limitless power, possibly a reflection on commonly-held current political sentiment.

SE&CR D class 737 was built in 12/1901 and withdrawn from Guildford in 11/1956 after the ingress of the aforementioned Standards..  I need, as a matter of endless repetition,, to point out that my mother was born in Guildford in 1921 and this makes it all relevant.

As to the lovely GWR broad gauge photos from a few messages back, I cannot guess how it might affect a mind which has listened to Mahler's 4th Adagio. When something from Brahms would have  been far more, um, easy.

737_SECR_D_Portrait2_4ab_r1500.jpg.b3b4016ed8b46e83db8c7f58223ec274.jpg

Springtime here....  the garden is verdant, I must move on.

Edited by robmcg
clarification
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Annie said:

Oh please do  :)

Your wish..... well not quite - a tableau from the River & Rowing Museum at Henley-on-Thames. I could also provide a stained glass window of the first Bishop of Dorchester (on Thames), Saint Birinus, but that takes you back pre-conquest not just pre-grouping - the saint, not the window - that was just post grouping - 1927. 

Wind_in_the_Willows_Toad_&_Jupiter_-_Henley_on_Thames_19_8_2015.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

As to the lovely GWR broad gauge photos from a few messages back, I cannot guess how it might affect a mind which has listened to Mahler's 4th Adagio. When something from Brahms would have  been far more, um, easy.

I enjoy listening to Mahler.  Sometimes when I tell people that they look at me funny and slowly back away, but I don't care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Annie said:

I enjoy listening to Mahler.  Sometimes when I tell people that they look at me funny and slowly back away, but I don't care.

I rate Mahler up there with Beethoven in terms of his imagination and breadth of his symphonies.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I rate Mahler up there with Beethoven in terms of his imagination and breadth of his symphonies.  

Oh I completely agree.  And I also think reflecting upon the former glories of the Broad Gauge and Mahler's 4th Adagio are a perfect match.

• Like 2

On 03/10/2019 at 14:46, Edwardian said:

345902406_RoyalFlash01.jpg.d826ce970b84565714d35793eb761fb2.jpg

I had never noticed before what a splendid pickelhaube Oliver Reed has.

I do trust he's not in command of a fleet of shallow draught vessels currently moored in the Frisian ports with designs upon the Wash? That would be most hunnish of him.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Funny 3

On 06/10/2019 at 09:34, Northroader said:

650-59   M15 1884

660-79   E16. 1884-6

790-99   O18  1886-7

140-49.  P55.  1903

781-90   D58.  1904

91-100.  R58.  1905

101-10.  C59.  1905-6

780,236-44 I60 1906

572-81. A62.  1907

582-91. D63. 1907

211-20  G63.  1907

111,221-5/32-5. H63. 1907

170-79. S64.  1908

180-89. A65. 1908-09

71-80.  I65.   1909

Blast you Sir! You've sunk my aircraft carrier.

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, wagonman said:

We'd have to start calling you Dave!

My wife has a theory that all railway modellers are called Dave - based on the Warley MRC exhibition team listing in the programme for the one NEC show I persuaded her to accompany me to, some years ago now. But it does seem to be born out in practice, at least for those reaching a position of responsibility: for instance, our club chairman is a Dave.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Northroader said:

11 hours ago, K14 said:

Thank you both. Neither of those popped up on a Google search. However, the quoted dates are very different so I still don't know the answer...

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Annie said:

6 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

For me, Mahler captures and distills the whole vast scope of the human condition.

Earlier this year, I went to a performance of Mahler's 10th by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra under Sir Andrew Davis. Sublime (in both senses of the word).

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2019/mahler-10-letters-and-readings/

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

For me, Mahler captures and distills the whole vast scope of the human condition.

Earlier this year, I went to a performance of Mahler's 10th by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra under Sir Andrew Davis. Sublime (in both senses of the word).

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2019/mahler-10-letters-and-readings/

It was wonderful wasn't it - I heard the recording of it on the radio. To me Mahler does as you say "distil the whole vast scope of the human condition". 

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Regularity said:

Terry Pratchett beat her to it.

He also did the student to master of the craft transition in fewer and thinner books too (The Aching series).

7 hours ago, Annie said:

Mahler. I don't listen to his work all that often, but I certainly find it moreish when I do!

• Like 4

Re: Tyre Fastening.

LNWR No. 790 'Hardwicke' displays prominent 'bolt' heads between the spokes of the driving wheels.

I do have a description of their function on my other computer, but in essence they are the heads of tyre-locating studs.

I'm not sure the LNWR was very good with tyres.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

They tyre bolt heads can be picked out on photographs of LNWR engines from Ramsbottom days through to the Claughtons [E. Talbot, An Illustrated History of LNWR Engines (OPC, 1985)]. They are also present on Midland engines, though much easier to spot on carrying wheels than on larger-diameter driving wheels [R.J. Essery & D. Jenkinson, An Illustrated Review of Midland Locomotives Vols. 1-4 (Wild Swan, 1984-9)]. I don't propose to trawl through Midland Locomotives and LMS Locomotive Profiles in pursuit of this but according to the most recent volume of the latter, which is the one that comes most easily to hand, the Royal Scots as built had their tyres secured using Gibson rings [D. Hunt, J. Jennison & R.J. Essery, LMS Locomotive Profiles No. 15 - The 'Royal Scots' (Wild Swan, 2019)]. 

@drmditch, I'm curious to understand what is behind your statement that the LNWR wasn't very good with tyres?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

My wife has a theory that all railway modellers are called Dave - based on the Warley MRC exhibition team listing in the programme for the one NEC show I persuaded her to accompany me to, some years ago now. But it does seem to be born out in practice, at least for those reaching a position of responsibility: for instance, our club chairman is a Dave.

Much as middle class fashions for boys' names in a particular generation caused NCOs to refer to all officers as "Ruperts".  I knew a chap, a few years older than I, who was at the tail end of Rupert as a fashionable name-choice.  When he arrived at Sandhurst, one NCO on the Directing Staff introduced him to another with the words "you'll never guess what my new Rupert's called!"

In my generation, it was obligatory for all regular army officers to be called Rory.  Nevertheless, it is Rupert that stuck. 

Sometimes I have cause to give thanks that I was merely a volunteer (not that I'm suggesting that army families lack originality, of course).

1750506237_TheFourFeathers(1939)10.jpg.558d513011d4da897db7d58b9a47a484.jpg

"Well, damn it, Sir, in my day we called them all 'Carruthers'!"

• Like 5

Earlier, I was going to mention the staff of the University of Walamaloo, with their distinctive naming strategy, but ...

Here's their tutorial on philosophers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9SqQNgDrgg

G'day Bruce!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many of the most characteristic Scottish boys' names begin with A* and girls names with K. I used to work with a chap whose family was from the Scottish side of the border - Henderson, a good Reever surname - his brother had ten children, seven boys all A and three girls all K. It must have saved many hours of sewing in name labels on school uniform.

*If not A, then G. 

• Like 1