Haydon Gurney

treggyman

Hi

A day off today & a bit of time to get on.....

Sorted out the dead spots in the wiring & now all works well....

However....A bit concerned as two of the 'dead spots' were sorted by just following the wires & pulling them about to check they were the right ones....

Dry solder joint maybe???? I am considering rewiring these joints but will see how they perform before I do...

Also spent some time ironing out track deficiencies.....

It can be a real problem once scenics have been applied!!!!!!

All seems to run well after a bit of tweaking with the soldering iron.....

One lesson I have learnt is that it is so important at this stage to test the track to make sure all runs well.....

So lots of fiddly movements with the worst running stock.....

Most of the stock I'm using on Haydon Gurney previously only ran in a fixed rake round & round ......It was never SHUNTED!!!!!

By pushing & pulling the 16t minerals it certainly found out the back to back variances of the wheel sets as well as the track deficiencies.....

Anyway that's all for now...

Creedyford is out & about nexr weekend at Carn Brea leisure centre next Sunday so next week's time will be spent making sure allis well with that......

Cheers Bill

Hi

Finally finished the wiring......

Confused myself by wiring two of the reception sidings isolating seuitchec to the loading sidings....

Just couldnt work out why when the switch was disconnected the track was still live !!!!!

Part of the trouble was because I'd been wiring up a n hour or so at a time....So had forgotten what had been done.....Also I normally work my way through  testing by running as I go....This time I was using a multimeter......

Anyway all seems OK now.

All packed away now as I'm out with Penhallick Junction over the weekend at Carn Brea Leisure Centre  in Redruth  on Sunday...

Cheers Bill

Hi

SWMBO was out this evening so set the layout up.....

Got out the loco's that will be running on the layout to give them a whirl.......

One or two issues to attend to....

One point in the yard causes problems to one of my two  std4 2-6-6's.....

As it's only one it might be back to backs.......

Also a couple of alignment problems over baseboard joints....Only to be expected......

This time I intend to really have a good check of all stock on all the track so hopefully no gremlins appear later on....

One disappointment....If that is the right word.....Is that I painted my kitbuilt Std 3 in lined green livery.......

Sadly I'll need to repaint to unlined black &renumber for a loco that ran on the S & D........

Also need to check if my Std 5 is in the right livery....It will need renumbering & maybe a different tender....

Wilton definitely ran on the line though not probably in the time I'm modelling.....

& I can't find my kitbuilt Std 4 tank......

Any way progress has been made...... as it's no good having a layout if the stock doesn't run well on it.......

The good thing is that I can have the layout up for testing & also spend other time being sociable making buildings etc.

Well that's all for now

Cheers Bill

Hi

Well some good news re loco numbering/livery......

Many moons ago I bought a book called The Book of the BR Standards by Richard Derry....My Bible...

At the back it has a listing of each Loco's allocation through it's working life.....

Well....

My first concern was my Std 5 73068 in lined green......It turns out She was allocated to Bath Green Park twice....4/64 'till 1/65 & then4/65 'till withdrawal in Dec 65.....

No need to repaint...Just heavy weather.......

Kit built 82030 in lined green....I was lead to believe no lined green loco's of this class ran on the S & D.....

I can't specifically remember why I chose lined green although as she was allocated to Taunton shed I would have seen her at Langport West in my childhood hence modelling her......I can only assume I have a seen pic of her in this livery.....

However she was outshopped from Swindon works on 18/10/59 in lined green.....Withdrawn in Aug '65....But reinstated to Green Park in Nov '65 before final withdrawal in Jan'66....One would assume that she wouldn't have had a repaint between '59 & '65 so a heavy weathering job should do the trick....

Finally....80039...Std 4 in lined black......

I found her !!!

DJH Kit built......Can't remember why I chose that number as I never saw her.....

I would guess it was because she was allocated to Yeovil Town & most of my steam loco's were numbered based on those allocated to either Yeovil Town or Taunton......

Well as it happens she was allocated to Green Park for one month only...Jan '65...& then to Templecombe from June '65 'till withdrawal....

My 9F is totally wrong....Although Western allocated number wise she has the wrong tender for the number.....But she looks nice......

A Crownline kit to embellish the loco plus a Dave Alexander tender kit she looked good & ran well so.......

Well that's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi what stock are you gonna be using.

Cheers

Hi Cornwall

I plan to use a mixture of steam loco's that would have run around that time plus matching coaches & wagons.....

Thus a variety of standards,my Westcountry,3F & 4F plus an N class.....

Bulleid stock in green,MK1's in maroon plus the occasional ex LMS coach in maroon....

& LOT's of 16t minerals & some general box,open wagons for the pick up goods....

Most of the stock I already have....Some more to purchase though!!!!!

Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon of stock on the layout as it all has to be tested.....

Most hasn't run for about 15 years or so.....So watch this space....

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Had an hour before I had to go to work yesterday so dug out the trusty Jigsaw.......

I had drawn a rough plan on a piece of card  how the contours were to go & roughly drawn in where buildings might fit......

So....Heart in hand......Actually I used the jigsaw!!!!!

This is the result....

post-7844-0-38163700-1466361520_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-68764600-1466361612_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-42816800-1466361592_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-22704700-1466361571_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-25924600-1466361545_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-77086400-1466361678_thumb.jpg

Next up is to add some wire mesh & put some plaster on it to form the contours....

The idea is that ,as you look at the layout from the front the left front  & right rear will be lower so the railway will appear to run on a sort of spine diagonally across the length of the layout......

The right front eill be level ( the sidings ) & the left rear will rise behind.....

The diagonals & front will need a bit of bracing but the baseboards still seem pretty strong.....

Well that's the plan.....

I had come to a standstill for a while 'till I could figure out how it was going to look but now hopefully I can get on as I have a plan....

Cheers Bill+

• Like 1

Hi All

Had a bit of time today with the poor weather so did a bit to the basic scenics.....

Having cut out the baseboards to allow for a drop in the ground today I fixed some wire mesh (chicken wire )to the baseboards with a stapler & then covered this with strips of self adhesive plasterers scrim tape....

For those of you who've followed my previous layout threads it is a standard method of mine.....

post-7844-0-62501700-1466626998_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-16981000-1466627027_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-23813000-1466627050_thumb.jpg

The idea is to have a pond in the foreground fed by a pipe/culvert or similar draining the far side of the tracks....

On the other side of the track the ground will rise to the left but drop away to the right to the extreme right where the track comes up an incline.....

Hopefully have time to plaster the scrim tape in the next day or two.....

Meant to have been a day off tomorrow but asked to go in for overtime....Sadly bills need to be paid !!!!!

Anyway a bit of progress....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi All

Day off today.....Manflu struck.....

So rather than the jobs I should have done got the 'plastering' of the embankments done (in between other jobs set by SWMBO)

post-7844-0-64197800-1466796244_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-78493500-1466796498_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-65187900-1466796626_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-83599400-1466796648_thumb.jpg

Just a small bit of the embankment to the yard to do then the raised bits where the land rises behind on the left & the main topography is done....

The bridge on the LHS  to be built into the landscape will give more of an idea of how the land should look & have also to finalise the scenic break at the mine end.....

Have in mind a building with maybe an overhead  conveyor or similar....We'll see

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Hi All

Had an hour or so this morning before having to go to work so made the shell for the goods shed......

I don't know how prototypical this is but I assume consumables would have been sent in by rail.....

& some would need to be  kept dry....Gunpowder I would assume also be sent by rail....I'm building the Parkside kit at the moment.....

I had envisaged that the three sidings on the left would be purely reception but I needed a view blocker where the line goes into the backscene & I figured a building would suit.....

It is placed roughly in position....

It is held together with pins at the moment to give me an idea of how it will look.....

post-7844-0-75032900-1467151668_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-16912400-1467151703_thumb.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can stain the white filler to blend it in.....

Then it's time to make the bridge for the other end......

Cheers Bill

Edit due to sending post before I'd finished it.

Edited by treggyman
  • Like 2

Hi All

Day off ....Raining....A few chores & then .......

Built the shell for scenic blocker at the other end of the layout....

Inspired by the bridge at Henstridge.....

Sadly I don't seem to be able to put a link on here but if you type in Henstridge Station on Google & search the pics on the section that come more images of Henstridge you will find a pic of how the bridge looks now......Click on that & it will give a view of how it was..... 

post-7844-0-11682100-1467235272_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-76564600-1467235294_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-95209700-1467235313_thumb.jpg

The base material is Corex......Recycling hanging signs from supermarket displays.....

It gives a really strong base.... I pinned the cut sheets together prior to glueing with hot glue.....

Next will be cladding with embossed plasticard.....

That's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 4

Hi Bill it's looking good mate, keep up the good work.

Hi Ray

Thanks for that....Progress is patchy....

SWMBO had a hospital appointment today so nothing done today.....

There's always tomorrow!!!!!

Cheers Bill

Hi All

A bit of progress over the last couple of days.....

Finished off most of the detailing to the shed & given it a coat of primer.....

The windows will be cut out when I've made them;as seen before the recesses are already cut....

post-7844-0-67682400-1467668027_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-38739200-1467668055_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-72347200-1467668081_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-20676900-1467668108_thumb.jpg

Then  started to 'clad' the stonework on the bridge....

post-7844-0-33673700-1467668199_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I won't have a problem with clearances of stock running through....

I did a good check before I started the stone cladding but it is VERY coarse stonework!!!!!!!

I've used 'O' gauge Slaters stone sheet as the stonework on the bridge at Henstridge consists of very large blocks.....

I haven't capped it with brick as the original as I think most of the the structures in the coalfield area were built of stone not brick....

Anyway the project moves forward.... The problem of modelling something I've not seen....

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Bill.

The shed looks great as with the tunnel mouth. Looking forward for more progress.

Hi Ray

Thanks for the comment....

Progress is slow at present....TOO MUCH to do outside at the moment....

However did a bit today & hopefully a bit more tomorrow when I hope to post a pic or two of progress....Provided there is some that is....

Cheers Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Well having threatened to post some pics I never took any....

Took a few today but they were so rubbish I deleted them & will redo them later.....(taking pics into the sun with a dusty lens is not a good idea)

Some slow progress....Painted the bridge & fitted it within the embankment at  the Bournemouth end....

Made a start on the station building.....

Made the platform but not the ramps...

& bought another loco....

I ran my West country round a few time & noted that Hornby seem to have caught one of the real loco's characteristics....She slips a treat when starting!!!!!

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi again

A bit like policemen I s'pose....None for a while then two in one evening.......

Anyway not brilliant pics but better than before......

First up how the Bournemouth end is coming along.....

post-7844-0-52547600-1470947723_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-59531400-1470947755_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-96640000-1470947790_thumb.jpg

The station building in primer....

post-7844-0-81516600-1470947861_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-81792800-1470947897_thumb.jpg

The building is inspired by Henstridge with dimensions where applicable taken from the drawings of Midford published in Mike Arl;ett's excellent book The Somerset & Dorset at Midford.....

Annoyingly I am following Radial415's thread Out to Braysdown....A model of Writhlington.......I say annoying because he recommends a book called Radstock  Coal & Steam by Chris Handley.

I went on that wonderous auction site & bought a copy.....

It's got loads of scale drawings etc of the station buildings at Radstock.....

As a most of the station buildings etc were built in stone in the coal mining area of The S & D it might have been better to have built the building as a stone built one rather than of wooden cladding....

The annoying bit is that the book arrived on the day after I had spent an evening building the shell of the station building.......

Any way.....The LOCO....

That same auction site provided.....

post-7844-0-61170100-1470949196_thumb.jpg

Needs renumbering & the later BR emblem but she runs well  & a quick trial run over the layout showed no problems.....

Apart from a 4-6-0 Std 4 the loco roster is now complete....Though I'm sure more will arrive......

Well that's all for tonight.....

It's been an odd few weeks.......Wanting to get on but on the few occasions I've had time the MOJO's not been there.....

Hopefully that will change now....

Anyway Creedyford is out over the August bank holiday so Haydon Gurney will be put away next week....

Cheers for now

Bill

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Well Hayle show is over & Creedyford will be put on it's storage shelves in the next couple of days.....

So back to work on Haydon Gurney......

Must finish off the basic landform & start scenics properly.......

Paint rails & ballast.......

Should keep me busy 'till the end of October when Penhallick Junction is out for two shows....

Then full steam ahead to it's debut in April next year......

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Had an hour or so yesterday so finished off the track in the yard....

Below are a couple of pics of how it was.......

Just didn't look right....Didn't flow & the sidings were too bendy......

post-7844-0-12298100-1472899181_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-51659800-1472899211_thumb.jpg

So relaid the tracks.....

I had to move the siding nearest the main line a bit further from the other sidings due to potential clearance issues on the entrance to the shed so it's a bit 'dogleggy' still.......

post-7844-0-35908200-1472899476_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-51340900-1472899502_thumb.jpg

& having lost the Jinty & some coal wagons off the end of the headshunt (fortunately landed on some rags) I installed a state of the art buffer stop......

post-7844-0-78522700-1472899677_thumb.jpg

Next job is to make & fit the buffer stops....Fit the missing sleepers,paint the rail & ballast....

Also fit the last of the landform behind the station.....

Cheers Bill

edit to correct spelling

Edited by treggyman
  • Like 4

Hi Bill.

I do agree the yard looks a lot better. be looking forward on seeing more progress.

Hi Ray

Thanks for that....

Now it's done I'm feeling much more like getting on with it so hopefully will progress quicker....

Emphasis on 'hopefully'......

Cheers Bill