Haydon Gurney

treggyman

You will be very busy as they are very fidely to do if they to be a working models. But do look very nice when finished.

Hi Ray

You were meant to say they're easy peasy to do!!!!!!

Yes they will be working ones.......One will probably have a Ground signal on it as well so my patience will definitely be tried......

Well I've got 'till August to do them......

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Really impressed with the speed of delivery from Wizard Models....

Ordered Monday....Here today.....

I see what Ray means......

A lovely looking pack of fiddly looking bits......It looks a really nice kit......

Hopefully I can find some fingers amongst my thumbs to complete it......

It suggests 3 different temperature solders so shall have to source one of them as I have the other two......

Will need to be in the mood but I'm looking forward to the challenge.......

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Get some of these to act as heatsinks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Hairdressers-Lightweight-Aluminium-Section-Clips-x-10-/222466856647?hash=item33cc0ed6c7:g:r1IAAOSww3tY6FHm

If you don't mind waiting a couple of week, you can get them in bulk bags from China.

Hi JZ

Thanks for the suggestion.....I'd not thought of that........

Will have to see what the Chinese have to offer....

Cheers Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Well just been on Wizard Models MSE  PAGE & ordered a LSWR latice post UQ signal & some parts to make some SR railbuilt types......

Will keep me busy when they arrive methinks......

Cheers Bill

Seems your prediction was correct Bill.

Its gone very quiet on here, is there any more progress? Is it going well?

All the best

Seems your prediction was correct Bill.

Its gone very quiet on here, is there any more progress? Is it going well?

All the best

Hi Tony

Yes & no....

The kits & bits arrived very quickly....Excellent service indeed......Usual disclaimer....

The problem is more that I have bought a  LSWR lattice post kit.....

It's superb but I am also going to build two ex SR type rail built signals & I wanted to practice building them first.....

The trouble is they are not quite standard....

One will have a shunt arm on it & the other a 'ground signal' & I haven't yet found pictures of the type I want to build.....

So in the mean time I have been sorting out two loco's that haven't been run for nearly 20 years....

A 9f & a 4f.....

Both now work fine.....

The 9f took a while to sort but now runs well....The 4f was easier to sort.....But needs weathering & crew.....

Will take a pic or two in the next couple of days to show them.....

Today I have started on the signals so hopefully I will progress.....

The other problem is .....GARDENING.......So much to do.......

Anyway progress is being made.....Allegedly.....

Cheers Bill

Edit due to post being sent before being finished.......Thick finger syndrome!!!!!

Edited by treggyman

Hi Tony

Yes & no....

The kits & bits arrived very quickly....Excellent service indeed......Usual disclaimer....

The problem is more that I have bought a  LSWR lattice post kit.....

It's superb but I am also going to build two ex SR type rail built signals & I wanted to practice building them first.....

The trouble is they are not quite standard....

One will have a shunt arm on it & the other a 'ground signal' & I haven't yet found pictures of the type I want to build.....

So in the mean time I have been sorting out two loco's that haven't been run for nearly 20 years....

A 9f & a 4f.....

Both now work fine.....

The 9f took a while to sort but now runs well....The 4f was easier to sort.....But needs weathering & crew.....

Will take a pic or two in the next couple of days to show them.....

Today I have started on the signals so hopefully I will progress.....

The other problem is .....GARDENING.......So much to do.......

Anyway progress is being made.....Allegedly.....

Cheers Bill

Edit due to post being sent before being finished.......Thick finger syndrome!!!!!

Good to know its still moving forwards.

I'm not sure whether to say that you are at least addressing the signal issue, which I'm avaoiding at present. Or claim that I'm ahead of you as I've a part built ratio GWR bracket that I started about 40years ago! (and I will need 2 of them, of some configuration).

If you like resurecting old locos I've a fair selection of those available too!

All the best

• Like 1

Good to know its still moving forwards.

I'm not sure whether to say that you are at least addressing the signal issue, which I'm avaoiding at present. Or claim that I'm ahead of you as I've a part built ratio GWR bracket that I started about 40years ago! (and I will need 2 of them, of some configuration).

If you like resurecting old locos I've a fair selection of those available too!

All the best

Hi Tony

Thanks for the above.....

Sorry for the delay in replying ,but.....

Slight problem as SWMBO decided to take a flying lesson from the back of her horse on Wednesday & has a compound break of her collar bone as well as possibly cracked ribs....

So I'm now a full time carer.....

So modelling is not a priority at the moment....

I must admit to procrastinating over the signals though.....

I've built some previously for Penhallick Junction using a combination of MSE parts & scratch building....

& they work well.....

But I've got to be in the mood when fiddly modelling is involved!!!!!!

As regards resurrecting old loco's.....Don't worry....I've got a few too!!!!

Well they do say "never to work with animals or children" so horses and living with somebody who "plays trains" meant the odds were not good.

At least you have your priorities right, hope she mends well and look forward to your getting back to your relaxation!

All the best

• 1 month later...

All looks quite splendid to me Bill, an interesting venture into steam you've chosen - not at all the scene I'd associate with you! Such a neatly packed ballast job compared with the usual ballast everywhere with no walkways and certainly very different from your regular more 'modern image' models... I see another one of your fine boxes and lots of spiffing mineral wagons.

I look forward to seeing more.
Cheers, Reece

Hi Reece

Thanks for the above......

Well I'd got most of the stock & I'd thought about something S & D for a while......

Next outing is the Hayle show over the August bank holiday weekend so I must get on with it ......

Some progress has been made but SWMBO's Bipolar has returned so I'm kept busy with that & work & jobs around the house.....

cheers Bill

Hi Reece

Thanks for the above......

Well I'd got most of the stock & I'd thought about something S & D for a while......

Next outing is the Hayle show over the August bank holiday weekend so I must get on with it ......

Some progress has been made but SWMBO's Bipolar has returned so I'm kept busy with that & work & jobs around the house.....

cheers Bill

Seems a bit wrong giving this a "like"

Sorry that domestics are getting in the way of progress, but hopefully your August deadline will help you focus. Any progress

should be helpful going forward.

All the best

TONY

I'd would tend to agree with Tony above, sorry to hear that. I do hope Rosie is keeping well otherwise.

I think I'm busy with an event on the Saturday at Bodmin Airfield but I'll try to pop down to the show on the Sunday if I can, it will be interesting to see what you've been up to and perhaps catch up a bit... I also have some more 'N' scale figures to give Mr Hatton if he's around for that one.

All the best
Cheers, Reece

Hi Reece

Thanks for your comment above....

SWMBO is getting better now thanks......

It's a regular occurrence that causes problems when it hits......

The broken collarbone is also mending....

I'm sure Mike will be there....He never misses exhibiting at a local show as far as I know....

Look forward to seeing you on the Sunday....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

Well at long last some progress......

Over the last week or so I've built the starter signal for the Bath end of the platform.

As goods trains heading for Bath would have to pass the signal in order to set back into the yard to drop off wagons I have also fitted a calling on arm.....

In reality I suspect that as the signal is so close to the 'Box then the signalman would have been able to authorise the move without needing a signal......

Any way a mix of scratch building/MSE parts for the signal & Heathcote Electronics  controller for the servo's & we have a working signal......(Usual disclaimer....No connection...Satisfied customer)

It wasn't as easy as that though......

I fitted the harnesses to the motors the wrong way round first off....Didn't work.....

Then the bearing for the main signal arm came away from the post....After the signal was glued in place!!!!!VERY fiddly to resolder back on!!!!!!!

But I got there in the end......

I thought about making the balance weights work ......But that's as far as I got with that......

So a couple of pics......The board is set up on it's own at present so I can work on it.....

post-7844-0-26611000-1500316719_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-62216200-1500316744_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-71778500-1500316764_thumb.jpg

I have added working lamp behind the spectacle on the signal arm but haven't wired it up yet.....

Also with the arm falling off & being refixed it may not now be in the right place......

I've made a start on the next signal.....The home signal I think it would be called at the Bath end & have a MSE ex LSWR lattice post kit to build for the Bournemouth end starter......

The home signal will have a ground signal attached to it to control access to the yard but this won't be working....Just a dummy representation.....

• Like 4

Signal looks mighty impressive Bill, I just wish I thought I could put something that good together. And I'm saying that with a part

built ratio kit, that was started 40 years ago. And you thought you'd had a break from modelling!

All the best, looking forward to the next one.

TONY

Signal looks mighty impressive Bill, I just wish I thought I could put something that good together. And I'm saying that with a part

built ratio kit, that was started 40 years ago. And you thought you'd had a break from modelling!

All the best, looking forward to the next one.

TONY

Hi Tony

Thanks for the above........

40 year gap is certainly a break!!!!!!

Oddly enough I've tried the Ratio signals & not really got on with them.......

Probably because I'm too rough with them operationally.......

Made plenty of plastic wagon kits with no problems though!!!!!!

It's odd really....

A couple of years ago I didn't think I'd be able to make working signals from brass/whitemetal etc ......

but had a go making a couple of ex GW LQ signals for Penhallick Junction.....

& now this one....

I bought a copy of Signals for the Railway Modeller By Derek Mundy (ex proprietor of MSE) which is my bible......

Your layout is testamount that you probably have the skills if not the confidence to try it.

So Have a go......

Cheers Bill

Cheers Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

A bit of progress......

The home signal at the Bath end is now finished....

Just needs fitting & motorising.....

The controllers for the servo's have arrived so no excuse !!!!!!!!

Started on the starter at the Bournemouth end.....

Trouble is only two weeks to Hayle show & so many other things to do.......

A couple of pics prior to fitting...

post-7844-0-85869900-1502482202_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-25026100-1502482864_thumb.jpg

The signal arm & balance weight are attached together so will move when the signal is operated......

Took some doing but although most people won't notice I will.....

The 'ground'signal doesn't operate.....

It will face towards the backscene so no one will know...Hopefully.....

The public will see the back of the signal so I haven't fitted lights to the signal.......

The 'ground' signal is a MSE WR brass etch face filed to shape on a scratch built signal....

That's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well today I fitted the above signal to the layout.....

Not quite sure the clearance would have been prototypical but.....

The starter at the Bournemouth end has been finished & the base board hole cut.......

Sounds easy doesn't it ...But it wasn't.......

Any way hopefully tomorrow I shall have time to motorise them....

Hayle show next weekend.....

So much I was going to do but life gets in the way.....

Hopefully add some pics in the next day or two.....

Cheers Bill