Haydon Gurney

treggyman

Hi All

Well the weather was awful so didn't feel guilty about spending time on the layout....

Got quite a lot done as well...Always a bonus!!!!!

Main task was to unglue the point switchblades....However hard I try I always seem to get some PVA where I don't want it.....

I also realligned them as some seem to have moved with the ballasting......

Also removed ballast from between the check & stock rails....

The problem with using my new brush & as I hadn't thought of it there were a few build ups,but soon sorted when I realised what the problem was.....

Having made sure the points were all working & having given the track a thorough clean I then ran a Jinty & 4 mineral wagons through the whole layout....

Just one or two adjustments needed...Including one of the wagons back to back 's needing adjusting!!!!

All ran fine.

My only gripe is that the Jinty's don't run as well as the Hornby 08's that I use on Penhallick.....

They've had the afternoon running round & round in both directions so we'll see if there's any difference.

Sprayed the buildings a light grey colour.....

Sprayed them last night but wasn't happy with the base colour...Too green I thought.....

At this point I might mention that I bought one of those spray booth's with extractor fan & extractor pipe.....

Brilliant.....

I took out one of the panes of glass in the window replacing it with a piece of clear Acrylic having cut a hole in it first to take the extractor pipe.....

Now so easy.....

I want to spray....

Plug in the fan...

Spray what I want....

Clean the brush (I use cellulose thinners to get a really good clean & they're nasty) & no smells of thinners or paint.....

Really pleased...£60 well spent.....

Touched up the ballast shoulders.....

And that's about it (apart from cooking the tea)

May have a bit of time tomorrow but some jobs to do for SWMBO so we'll see....

That's all for now

Cheers Bill

Hi JZ

Both run OK but perhaps I'm spoilt.....

I did notice though while wheel cleaning there is a noticeable 'bump' if that's the right expression on the middle axle as it rotates.....

One more so than the other.

When running on the track they run fine but it is as if there is something not quite meshed in the gear/drive mechanism.....

They run smoothly enough but at slow speeds are liable to stall....

& don't like my Kentrol Feedback controller....

But then neither do my Bachmann '66's!!!!

Cheers Bill

Edit to finish post as yet again sent before I'd finished!!!!

Edited by treggyman

Hi All

A bit more progress yesterday......

Painted the buildings & added windows to one of them.....

Quite pleased how the stone effect turned out....

Sprayed with a coat of light grey Humbrol enamel & then when thoroughly dry brushed on with a stiff flat brush Tamiya 'Smoke'.......

In effect a black wash.....

Put a few blobs of black acrylic on as well before brushing into the mortar joints,then wiped the whole area with an old rag.....

The loading screens were sprayed 'steel' colour & an old tin of BR loco green had some white added to become faded green.....

post-7844-0-68456100-1484435430_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-67095600-1484435469_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-61188400-1484435508_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-80096900-1484435559_thumb.jpg

The platform had a stone facing added.some plastic strip for the paving slabs at the platform edge & a covering of 120grit sandpaper added to represent tarmac & the whole lot sprayed with Halfords grey primer.....

THe station building was given a cvoat of cream paint.

post-7844-0-11095300-1484435719_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-05665000-1484435770_thumb.jpg

The buildings are not fixed down yet but put in place to give me an idea of how it will look.....

Hopefully crack on some more next week....

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

Hi All

On a late shift today so had an hour or so on the layout.....

Decided I must fit the rest of the backscene boards so I can get ion with the scenic work.....

Cut the two ends to size & already have the last back board ready.....

Made the board that runs to the off scene colliery as well but will have to move the layout sideways a couple of inches to fit it as there is a small shelf unit in the way at present.....

Got three days off now so hopefully get that done....

Unfortunately the weather forecast is good & I've lots of outdoor jobs to do...

Also SWMBO has a hospital appointment on Thursday so that will take up a chunk of time......

I've also been thinking that although I was going to have a row of terraced houses behind the station building as a backscene I think I'll have a some trees.....

The station forecourt would otherwise be a bit cramped & looking at pictures that I've seen the settings of the collieries are quite rural....

Without checking I think it's Writhlington,is almost surrounded by trees.....

Anyway we'll see what transpires.....

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Had planned one or two jobs today as I was on a late so had the morning to do odds & ends.....

However I ended up track/stock testing....Something I tend not to do enough of & then wonder why I have problems !!!!!

Having built a few more 16Tonners I thought it a good idea to run them all over all the track....

Normally I just run the stock in the direction it's going to run in & some doesn't run over parts of the layout...

This is fine 'till my son gets bored & tries some different unplanned move.....

I must say I was pleasantly surprised how well it went....

I found three minor track faults which were easily remedied once I had sorted the problem.....

There is one I haven't sorted but identified the problem.....

Where the track from the traverser joins thecorner boards there is a dip that causes one or two wagons to occasionally derail....

I may end up relaying this bit as it might be easier than trying to adjust it....

On the negative side my 8F doesn't run as smoothly as it did even after wheel cleaning....

Indeed it sounds like modern units do when they've got a wheel flat!!!!!

Anyway progress is being made which is good.....

Nearly finished the station building & hopefully paint the stone & slabwork on the platform & fit it in the next few days.....

Then it,s blitz the scenery......

That's all for now....

Cheers Bill

A couple of the points are still a bit 'sticky' & don't change properly but that is easily remidied.....

A couple of the wagons had their back to backs sorted.....

On one the W iron sheered off when I was trying to remove the wheels so that's on the bench to repair......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Been up to London for my granddaughters 6th birthday so although on holiday not had all the time on the layout....

However had some time over the last 3 days so got quite a lot done.....

Fixed the rest of the backscene boards & gave them a couple of coats of blue emulsion.....

Fixing them took longer than anticipated as I curved the one at the colliery end in over the baseboard to help to hide the track join to the curved end boards.....

They are now fixed & braced on the corners(the 'G' clamps holding the bracing angle while the glue goes off.....

Also mixed up some filler to smooth  the contours out...

Then a liberal coat of brown emulsion over the bits where the grass will be.....

I also sorted out the two points that had become sticky due to ballasting.....

& sorted out the connection to the offscene colliery......

Next up will be scenics.....

Suddenly I feel I'm getting somewhere as so long as the basic scenics are in place I can always add as time goes on.....

First show is at Helston at the end of April & I've been invited to the Hayle show in August....Just need to confirm I can have that weekend off......

Camera started to play up so I thought I wasn't going to be able to show progress but a search of the internet seems to have sorted a solution....

post-7844-0-35184100-1486068915_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-47344800-1486068943_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-07783600-1486068975_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-52472900-1486069000_thumb.jpg

A couple of drops of blue paint to remove from the ballast,then a session with static grass......

Must sort out hedges etc & where they'll run....

Also loads of trees to make.....& 16tonner kits ....&.......

Anyway we're getting there......

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Hi All

A bit more done today......

Another coat of blue & brown.....Some of the ply soaks the paint up like blotting paper!!!!!

Built a retaining wall for the mound in the foreground......

I had bought some resin walling but although good models they are in small sections......so may not use....

No pics of the wall as it has been sprayed & is drying.....

JUst about finished the station building....The lamp hut still to build.....

Bought some station fencing so will adapt & paint....

Anyway a couple of pics of the station building....

post-7844-0-05190900-1486152884_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-65537200-1486152908_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-18490600-1486152930_thumb.jpg

Just about finished....Chimney pot & rainwater pipes to fit plus a couple of touches of paint here & there.....

Back to work tomorrow so not much time for a few days......

Cheers Bill

• Like 6

Hi All

Had hoped to get loads done BUT....Both SWMBO & I have been struck down by the Lurgy....Cough,headache etc....

I would say it's manflu but SWMBO's got it as bad as me if not worse......

It's a real pain whe one has to spend one's days off in bed!!!!!

Anyway a quick update....

I mentioned the wall I built.....

Unfortunately a disaster.....

I tried using plastic weld though I knew the capping & foamex core were not solvent weldable....

I've done it before where if the other plastic parts weld themselves it works......

Well it did 'till I sprayed it......A long set of warped separate parts greeted me the next day....

I've reused the foamex core & this time used Super Phatic to glue the stone embossed sheet to the wall face.....

Last time I laminated Slaters paving slab strips to plastic strip to thicken the coping stones....

This time I used StripStyrene channel section no267 as coping stones....Just the right width......

Sprayed it & have left it to dry......!!!!....

Also sprayed some of the fencing by the station building & cut some Wills paving slabs for the road side of the building & sprayed them...

Also had a play with the grass.....using two different techniques....More on that later.....

Instead of using PVA this time I've used matt varnish.....

The problem with PVA is that it dries gloss so even though the base is painted brown it ends up a shiny brown if the grass isn't thick enough.....

Also the varnish is pretty dry after 30mins whereas the PVA takes overnight to dry minimum......

I'm not quite sure if the varnish is much better but I'll get some good lighting & take a pic or two & see.....

Cut some matchsticks to make the boundary fence but the stain/dye I had I can't find & the new stuff isn't a dense enough colour.....

Another day off tomorrow recouperating then 4 days at weork & a bit more holiday so hopefully more progress.......

Been on the hot water/honey/lemon/whisky which works quite well but I've found whisky on it'sown seems even more effective!!!!!

Cheers Bill

Cheers Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Weather rubbish so had some time on the layout today....Also spent some time on it yesterday....

'Trouble is there's so much to do I spent time flitting between jobs rather than concentrating on one area & finishing it!!!!!!!

Anyway the signal box is just about finished.....

Nameboard & fire buckets (on order) to make & fit......

The painting of the stonework also needs blending/toning in a bit....

It looks OK to the naked eye but the camera is a bit harsh......

Also the weighbridge hut now painted.....

post-7844-0-75198100-1487540142_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-00198200-1487540175_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-36635700-1487540202_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-38473500-1487540229_thumb.jpg

Also glued in the platform & fixed the retaining wall at the front of the layout....

Fixed some 'drystone walling at the headshunt end & tidied up the ballast there.....

put down some fine dust/chippings around the loading area & also started 'grassing' parts of the little used areas......

Was going to fix the station building down but will wait for the fire buckets to arrive....

Also must make some signage for it......

Also experimenting with hedge making using pan scrubbers.....

Will see how that goes !!!!!!

Also printed out a couple of pictures for the backscene......

Made some trees & realised I need loads more.....More expense!!!!!

Also can't decide on the backscene behind the station....

Originally I was going to have some half relief houses......

Then for ease I was going to have trees.....

But I'm not sure I have enough depth to get the trees to look right....Even with a good backscene behind......

Anyway progress has been made but April 22nd is looming on the horizon....

Panic....Who's panicing !!!!!!

Hopefully get more done over the next few days & post more pics of progress....

Cheers Bill

• Like 9

Hi All

Got quite a bit done today though no pics.....Tomorrow hopefully......

Last night I printed out loads of pics with a view to using them as the back scene......

Well it took all morning but I finally got the end backscene done.....

Although there are only 5 pictures used it took several attempts at resizing/flipping through 180 degrees etc to get what I was happy with....

Then this evening was spent finishing the buildings that will be fixed to that end.....

All are now done except for the weathering on the coal loader (screen I think it's called)

So downpipes/painting/platform inside the 'goods' shed/bargeboards etc more painting/touching up.....

Surprising how long it takes......

& of course the tea to cook......

Also sprayed the retaining wall behind the station & the station fence.....

Still to be fitted.....

One good thing about the spray booth is that I use the airbrush much more,& although I clean it rigorously after use each time today it finally told me it was time to give it a deep clean......

When I first used an airbrush it used to need deep cleaning every two or three times I used it....Now it's every couple of months but the difference being with lots of use in between....

The moral being use it more & clean well....

Next couple of days will hopefully see the rest of the backscene done....

I have previously done the foreground first but the problem with that can be the actual physical problems in then fitting the backscene so hopefully this will solve that problem......

Although time is short I am beginning to feel I've progressed.......Time will tell......

Cheers 'till tomorrow

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

A bit more done today & some pics....not brilliant as the camera was playing up again.....

First a couple of the 'Collage' of pictures behind the buildings....

post-7844-0-21365000-1487792773_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-09120600-1487792798_thumb.jpg

Then a few with the buildings in place.....

They are not finally fixed down yet.......

A bit of static grass & topping up the yard surface....

post-7844-0-65067100-1487793000_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-52820900-1487793021_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-37155600-1487793047_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-92571500-1487793076_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-61000100-1487793103_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-54363300-1487793137_thumb.jpg

A couple of bits to sort out.......

There is an odd edge in the middle & one of the pasted buildings has gone green...The one on the left hand side....Not readily visible with the shed in place but I know it's there!!!!!

Might get a bit of time tomorrow but the polytunnel calls......

Tonight's task is to drill lots of holes in stained matchstick fence posts......

Cheers Bill

Having sprayed the retaining wall behind the station yesterday I weathered it.....

Also put a thin layer of plaster down to represent the road.....

& played around with the backscene sheets prior to cutting them & sticking them down.......

• Like 8

Hi All

Mixed results today....

Yesterday a small package arrived from Dart Castings....

In it were fire buckets,running in board,Somerset road signs & a packing case wit a cat on it amongst a couple of other items which may or not feature......

these are now nearly all primed & painted ready for fixing....

The running in board has a name sign made up on my printer....Colours not spot on but I think it will look OK.

The main backscene was a disaster.......

The colours ran & also bits of the pictures got stuck to the 'pasting board & there were bubbles'....

I'll sleep on it whether to try again or order up a backscene that I've found on the internet.....

The trouble is that it is a time consuming process cutting/arranging/sticking which meant the whole afternoon was wasted......

All part of the 'fun' I know but I think I've learnt my lesson......

Don't change techniques/glue etc if the previous way worked .....

Ie if it ain't broke don't mend it!!!!

'Trouble is I do enjoy trying out different ideas.......Some work & this one didn't.....

Also dummy fixed the station fencing so will probably fix that & the station building down tomorrow now the fire buckets have been finished.....

Will also probably fix the wall behind the station...if not tomorrow then Sunday......

Hopefully will get more done tomorrow....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

As I normally work late on Saturday it feels strange to be posting now...Rather than working......

Got a bit done today......

Stripped the backscene paper off from behind the platform & sanded it down......As can be seen from the following pics of the station building.....

I had first just over painted it but the result was a really poor finish.....Bubbly & rough....

The advantage of the paint was that it softened the paper making it easier to get off....

Water would have been less messy but I had hoped that a coat of would do!!!!!

With hindsight it would have dominated the scene rather than enhanced it because it was to large/tall.....

So am tempted to try again rather than buy one in......

Also touched up some of the corner boards 'sky'....

Fitted the fire buckets to the station building & signal box & a nameboard to the signal box.....

Colours probably not quite right & size guessed but I think it looks OK.....

The buildings/fences aren't finally fixed yet.......

First the station building....Note the mess behind...

post-7844-0-46837100-1488051195_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-89030300-1488051274_thumb.jpg

Then the signal box....

post-7844-0-93039000-1488051351_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-51908400-1488051376_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-65804000-1488051397_thumb.jpg

Also fitted the first of the fence posts & a bit more stone wall round what will be a spinny/copse.....

Hopefully get a bit more done tomorrow....Then back to work Monday so time will be shorter......

Cheers Bill

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Done a bit more over the last few days but poor internet connection & camera playing up has curtailed updates......

Most of the grass is now done.....

Some layering & building up to do & a few patches to touch up....

Plus the area behind the track at the colliery end.....

Many moons ago I bought a 'grass machine' from Greenscene at Ally Pally.....

Never really got on with it....But a combination of watching  a you tube clip from WWF on how to do it , removing the plastic mesh from the shaker & replacing it with metal sieve mesh directly connected to the high voltage probe & putting more 'grass' in the machine has given a much better coverage...

Also as I mentioned before I have been using quick drying water based matt varnish as adhesive....

post-7844-0-94273500-1488742751_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-57961800-1488742778_thumb.jpg

The backscene has arrived...I D Backscenes via a stockist.....

Very nice it is too although my only criticism would be that the foreground images are a bit large....It's difficult to get depth

Each one does approx 10ft....Two 5ft rolls 15ins high....

A couple of shots showing how it comes & method of fixing.....I used Spraymount adhesive.....

The backscenes come with full fitting instructions.....

post-7844-0-33272100-1488743130_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-35205900-1488743156_thumb.jpg

& a couple of pics after trimming & fitting....

I undid the backscene boards & slid the scene down between the baseboard & back board & glued the top.....

post-7844-0-90350700-1488743365_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-19266200-1488743394_thumb.jpg

I've also been messing around with making hedges from green pan scourers....

Not the final version yet but they don't look too bad....

Basicly two 20/25mm tall strips glued together to thicken up with the surface teased out with a wire brush sprayed brown & covered in flock.....

post-7844-0-73292500-1488743641_thumb.jpg

Also being making some removable coal loads from styrofoam type material but no pics of that yet......

Getting there slowly....

Got the bridge end basckscene to finish & lots of trees to plant....

More seafoam has arrived & some have been done.....

Built 5 more wagon kits & sprayed the bodies....Underframes to do....

Well thats all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

It's looking very good Bill. I like the ID Backscene I have used them on Hounslow and got them on Feltham as well. I used three M's spray glue on mine as well.

Hi Ray

Thanks for that....

They are very good & have quite a range....

Very pleased so far

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Had a good couple of days,though slow.....

It's easy fitting the main backscene.....

The time consuming bit is the additions.......

The ID Backscene covers approx 10 ft.....The overall length of the backscen including the corner returns is 14ft....

It's those extra 4ft that have taken the time......

Look for a suitable picture,flip it,enlarge/shrink it/trim it etc......

It all takes time....Any way I'm fairly happy with the end result though there's a bit more tweaking to do

The backscene is just about finished...a bit of touching up to do & it's done......

The mine end before...

post-7844-0-23830000-1489094938_thumb.jpg

& after a bit of paint.....

post-7844-0-77767300-1489095040_thumb.jpg

The country end before.....

post-7844-0-98947800-1489094890_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-00466800-1489095123_thumb.jpg

& after....

post-7844-0-00670600-1489095146_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-32567500-1489095174_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-22807700-1489095194_thumb.jpg

The paintwork needs to be finished off but the main scene is set.....

The ID backscenes are very good.....

The problem is the sky!!!!!They come complete & blend in to their own scene......

Previously I've cut & stuck pictures to a sky blue  painted backboard & then applied 'clouds' or whatever after....

So having painted the ply backboard  blue I then had to try & match the sky......

It's not yet perfect but should with a bit of tweaking get there.....

There are also a couple of gaps & one or two adjustments are needed to the backscene.....Not obvious until looked at on the photo's...

Also just about finished the grass.......

Been experimenting with layering...

Ie put a base layer down & then build it up with different colours/lengths....

post-7844-0-22789800-1489096234_thumb.jpg

I must admit since I've adapted my 'machine' I'm quite pleased with the effect it gives.....

The only thing is that I may try to get a bigger mesh as longer lengths of grass don't come out of the current mesh size very easily.....

I also sprayed the underframes of six wagons....5x16tonners & a gunpowder van......The  bodies already having been painted....

Hopefully they will now get finished off & transfers & couplings fitted.....

Also more hedge & trees made.....

Jobs to do tomorrow then back to work Saturday but at least there seems light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

A bit more progress over the last couple of days & a couple of set backs......

First the bad news.....

Took this picture but I hadn't noticed the problem 'till I looked at the photo.....

post-7844-0-70746100-1489272922_thumb.jpg

Not quite sure how I managed to do that as I thought I was very careful to line every thing up......

All the other joins are fine!!!!!

So as far as I can see there are three realistic options...

1) PANIC......

2  Plant some tall trees behind to hide the join....

3) Plant some smaller trees & either paint on or glue a false horizon.....

Option one in fine but doesn't solve anything....

I leant a couple of tall trees against the backscene & felt they overshadowed the scene....

So option three it is......

I had always planned some trees there any way & also if looked at closely the horizon at that point is a very distant modern building which I had hoped people wouldn't notice.....

post-7844-0-28510600-1489274107_thumb.jpg

SWMBO popped her head round the door...So I mentioned that there was a problem with the backscene.....

She said ....Yes it's bubbled a bit hasn't it.......

post-7844-0-58513700-1489274167_thumb.jpg

Again I hadn't noticed because with the light from mainly behind the layout you can't see it but at that point I had a light higlighting work on the front of the layout & it was shining along the back rather than at the layout.....

It's 'only' the middle section....A full 4ft length......

For some reason the spray glue was still sticky but hadn't stuck....

So before I went to work today I clamped a solid wooden spirit level to the scene & shall leave it for 24 hours to see if there's any improvement......

On the plus side more grass done....Just about finished now ,& the station building ,running in board station fencing & rear walls all now fixed down.....

post-7844-0-17268000-1489274211_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-99097800-1489274259_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-50284400-1489274287_thumb.jpg

Well that's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Hi All

Partial success with the anti bubble measures.......

Picture taken from a similar spot.....

post-7844-0-49796200-1489446013_thumb.jpg

Also have found what may well be a suitable picture to cover up the badly aligned basckscene.....

Looks OK but just need to get the amount I've got to reduce the picture right so it blends in.....

Hope fully be able to fix in the next couple of days....

Also had a good session shunting as the more I shunt the 16 tonners over the yard the less problems I'll have on the layout's debut.....

Found a couple more mini issues today....Back to back's & a pointblade issue......

The problem with light kitbuilt stock!!!!!!!

But it's something I haven't made time to do previously & regretted it.....Also one of the Jinties doesn't run as well as it might at slow speed...... If time I'll have to strip it down as it has been well run in....I think it could be a pick up problem but we'll see.,....

Well that's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 2