MR219 March 2016

dibber25

Published February 11

BRITAIN'S CLASSIC RAILWAYS

Packed with practical features, advice, inspiration and real layout-building!

News:

- The FINAL THREE ‘USAs’ in colour. Once they’re gone, they’re gone. Order now to avoid disappointment!

Reviews:

-     Chris Leigh examines Dapol’s Class 73 electro-diesel. Also:

-     Minerva’s ‘O’ gauge Peckett

-     Oxford’s Manx models

-     Hornby ‘J50’ 0-6-0T

Layouts:

- Leicester South ('OO' GCR. Club layout)

- Blandford Forum (‘OO’ S&D. Club layout

- Inverboyndie (‘OO’. Club layout)

Features:

-     Britain’s Classic Railways:

-     Settle & Carlisle layout ideas and plans

-     From the Withered Arm to the Cromford & High Peak.

Workbench: 

-     Layout wiring 2: The fundamentals explained and demonstrated by George Dent and Dave Lowery.

-     Starting Cromford Goods, Peter Marriott’s layout project.

-     Stuart Moore describes his remarkable 2mmFS exercise in creating atmosphere.

-     Stephan Kraus reveals his scenic techniques

Regulars:

Q&A, Show & Tell, Exhibition Diary, Backscene.

post-1062-0-04937200-1454927913_thumb.jpg

Dropped through the letterbox this morning. Only had a quick glance through atm, but looks like another quality issue.

By the way Chris, is anyone going to update the MR website? It still shows Decembers issue as the latest one on there!!!!

Trevor.

Dropped through the letterbox this morning. Only had a quick glance through atm, but looks like another quality issue.

By the way Chris, is anyone going to update the MR website? It still shows Decembers issue as the latest one on there!!!!

Trevor.

I'll see if I can find someone's elbow to nudge....

My subs copy arrived and last night had a good look, there's plenty of interest throughout and appears to be quite a packed month so plenty to read more closely.

Chris I thought your review of the 73 was very balanced reading on the Dapol section it seems to have taken a bashing on here. As you actually had 3 models to look at it was good to see all the plus points and detail which as you say is very good. And also in balance point out, probably the cause of frustration to some the lack of quality control and silly errors made along the way especially at the price. I've not seen one yet to handle and it's not a loco I know well but I Will take a closer look at the Pullman one at Glasgow.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Chris

Nice to have some pleasant memories of the Staines club visit to Savernake. T'is a pity that the layout went unfinished but there was a lot on at that time with the move to Egham. A great day wondering on the mainline - there was a full rail strike on that Sunday. The only photo I seem to have taken is the new platelayers hut

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/britaingeneralrail/e52beea38

You also mention that Staines would be one of the layouts you would like to build. Presuming the SR - Central (You've done the GWR one) I completely agree - and wrote about the possibility I think on this site some years ago. Since then all the main stock has become available, Q1, S15, class 73 several suitable EMUS and the pillbox brake van.

Best wishes

Paul

Hi Chris

Nice to have some pleasant memories of the Staines club visit to Savernake. T'is a pity that the layout went unfinished but there was a lot on at that time with the move to Egham. A great day wondering on the mainline - there was a full rail strike on that Sunday. The only photo I seem to have taken is the new platelayers hut

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/britaingeneralrail/e52beea38

You also mention that Staines would be one of the layouts you would like to build. Presuming the SR - Central (You've done the GWR one) I completely agree - and wrote about the possibility I think on this site some years ago. Since then all the main stock has become available, Q1, S15, class 73 several suitable EMUS and the pillbox brake van.

Best wishes

Paul

I have quite a few pics taken that day and on other visits. I think it is probably my all-time favourite spot, especially with the path beside the railway (adjacent to the hotel) and, of course, the Kennet & Avon canal making its way through the Bruce tunnel right underneath the station.

I wonder if it would be possible to do a version of Staines, (selectively compressed) in N gauge to include the wartime spur and Staines West? There's a very nice Dapol Pressed Steel railcar (with DCC sound) in T4U at present. I keep being tempted...... (CJL)

You mean this place, pic taken the last time I took a wide-beam thro' in 2009. :-)

attachicon.gifCanal holiday 09 on Hannah 018.jpg

Ouch! Tight fit?

On the top, just across the Marlborough branch from the signalbox, was a small brick hut built partly into the embankment. Inside there was a shaft, down which, if you dropped a stone, it would be a long time before you heard the splash. I assume it was a shaft for the tunnel. I made a scale drawing of the hut and it was used (If I remember correctly) in an MRC Annual in the 1980s. (CJL)

Ouch! Tight fit?

On the top, just across the Marlborough branch from the signalbox, was a small brick hut built partly into the embankment. Inside there was a shaft, down which, if you dropped a stone, it would be a long time before you heard the splash. I assume it was a shaft for the tunnel. I made a scale drawing of the hut and it was used (If I remember correctly) in an MRC Annual in the 1980s. (CJL)

A tight fit?

That's a beautiful tunnel - straight, and you can see the end very clearly!  Put your boat into that at the right speed and the waterflow will virtually guide you through without touching the sides.  Now, if you want a tight fit, Harecastle Tunnel on the Trent and Mersey is a doozy, sometimes your boat comes out appreciably narrower, and its not just due to paint loss....

Oh yes, I'm stuck at home with back trouble, and our club's layout ( Blandford) is in it !!!! I'm hoping someone from the club will be supplying me with a copy ( soon??)

A much better issue  in my opinion, it seems to be packed with ideas this month.

A tight fit?

That's a beautiful tunnel - straight, and you can see the end very clearly!  Put your boat into that at the right speed and the waterflow will virtually guide you through without touching the sides.  Now, if you want a tight fit, Harecastle Tunnel on the Trent and Mersey is a doozy, sometimes your boat comes out appreciably narrower, and its not just due to paint loss....

Oh yes, that year ( 2009) the water level was well down on what it should have been, so speed was kept low, a 11 foot wide boat thro' with about 6 inches clearance either side. :sungum:

a good issue, but not quite as good for my interests. That level crossing on a curved double track in Paul's plan got me thinking though(and worked out how to make it).

I am not usually that interested in articles which deal mainly with electrofrog points, but at least it was said that modern insulfrog points from Peco are a lot better these days(some still have not seen this), and locos run a lot better. A simple modification can make points even better. Thing is there does need to be some proper comparative tests, as there is a lot of misleading info out there. This might be OK for experienced modellers, but it is essential to remember those coming into hobby. Maybe an idea for magazine team. I think it might actually shed some light on where problems actually are and help newcomers get on in the hobby.

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch! Tight fit?

Hi Chris....

If the canal was open at the time....and a boat was going through.....you might have heard more than just a splash! ;)

I wonder if the railway used the canal for water at some time? A possible use for the shaft and hut?

Hi Chris....

If the canal was open at the time....and a boat was going through.....you might have heard more than just a splash! ;)

I wonder if the railway used the canal for water at some time? A possible use for the shaft and hut?

Most times when I went there, it was long before the canal re-opened. A bunch of us did a major photo-survey down there when the railway was on strike. I bought a new 100ft tape measure and there were occasions when it was thrown across the canal to measure bridge spans etc. (CJL)

Hi Chris...

I thought that would have been the case.

It is amazing just how much canal has been re-opened....a little bit like the Railways there....

Canals and Railways do go together well, hence the Railway and Canal Historical Society (I hope I have that right?).

Hi Chris...

I thought that would have been the case.

It is amazing just how much canal has been re-opened....a little bit like the Railways there....

Canals and Railways do go together well, hence the Railway and Canal Historical Society (I hope I have that right?).

My abiding memory of that visit is not of the railway at all, but of a massive pike, maybe 3ft long, swimming lazily in the middle of the canal. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

My abiding memory of that visit is not of the railway at all, but of a massive pike, maybe 3ft long, swimming lazily in the middle of the canal. (CJL)

Looked taller on telly....

post-14122-0-62473800-1457298775.jpeg

Archived