Darkly Labs emblaser - affordable laser cutter - review

I don't know how big a one pound coin is but looking at that, I'd say jam jar lid size? You guys have big pockets.

Quite a few posts here over the last couple of days!

Jason -

The wobbly horizontal lines obviously imply an issue - if you do have dodgy brackets that could be it, otherwise I'd be checking the belt tension on one or other of the belts, because all lines should be perfectly straight. If you are still having the problem after you fit the new brackets then  send a pic of the test plot to darklylabs,  from posts on their forum they seem able to look at this and diagnose most issues going by which part of the plot looks wrong.

'course I'm reading - always read your posts, Jason!   Back on the Silhouette thread, we had some discussion about 'Taskboard'  It sounds great for coach sides, since one could also form the 'tumble home  Has anyone tried it out yet?

Mike

I've bought some taskboard but so far have only used it to scribe a brickwall onto (into?). Ill post it up when I get it painted, hopefully this weekend.

Quick impressions of the stuff itself, its recycled so it has a fairly rough fibrousy recycled finish to it, which is great for brickwalls, not sure about carriage sides.

Also it separates into layers quite easily, again good for weathered brick walls (ie some bricks can be lifted off to imply damage), but not sure about representations of other surfaces.

The only none laser cutting I've done on it (ie with a stanley knife) is to cut a piece off of the original 20 inch sheet to use in the laser cutter. I found the knife blade did catch quite easily, causing tufting and tearing of the cut, although it was just a rough hacking cut to be fair, done pretty fast and with not too much care about the end result.  I'm not sure how it would go in a cutting machine, given the high-angle of the blade.

I base the above on the 1/16th taskboard, I also have the 1/32 which I haven't tried yet, but being thinner that might cut more cleanly.

Also it is meant to be sandable so that might get rid of the slightly rough finish, I haven't tried that yet.

So based on one little fairly thick bit that I've done one knife cut on and lasered a patch of brickwork on, so far I'm happy with its abilities to reproduce a brick wall, but beyond that I can't really comment.

Oh, I also haven't yet tried spraying a bit with water and seeing if it sets in intricate curves, but I'll try that with an offcut , again hopefully this weekend.

Final count down to the 'big announcement". The timing is  based on midnight, our time. Why do techy companies love midnight releases - what have they invented -  "Call Of Duty: Lasers?" (although that would be quite cool...)

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Gold

I finally made some time to try out the emblaser.

A few odds and sods to begin with, cut from thin greyboard from the back of a notepad, nothing as clever as others have shown here.

Sorry, I don't have a pound coin to put in the picture, so an 00 gauge figure will have to do.

Slightly annoying that Darkly have announced a new and improved machine before I've had a chance to learn to drive this one....

Alan

post-16170-0-15533300-1462032015.png

• Like 4

I would guess it will be an order of magnitude more – but I should like to know what wattage the laser is (5+W?) though I hunk the factory focussed element is very sensible.

There have been aspects of Cut2D laser I have found rather frustrating, so I shall be very interested to see what they've achieved with v2.

More info needed!

• RMweb Gold

Given the press release I think the new version will be a lot more money to the extent that I would not buy one 

Nick

I recon you must be right there. I was at the limit of my budget buying the one I have, and unless they've found cost savings, there are a lot of new things in that package that must surely bump the price up.

On the 3D cutting, my first thought was coach rooves.

• RMweb Premium

I recon you must be right there. I was at the limit of my budget buying the one I have, and unless they've found cost savings, there are a lot of new things in that package that must surely bump the price up.

On the 3D cutting, my first thought was coach rooves.

the extra axis required will bump the price as will the casing / prebuilt bits, if I wanted 3d I would either learn 3d cad and get shapeways to print or automate my Proxon milling machine 

Nick

Nick

I added some links to suppliers of NC control boards in the CO2 laser thread.

I did see a digital Proxxon thread somewhere, not sure where, it would be a useful tool, but perhaps a little small.... On the other hand, remembering your brake van, perhaps a little small for 7mm.

I did wonder about an NC 2D machine for doing rivets. Then I decided that it almost certainly was not worth the investment of modelling time & money in a rather esoteric device.

Best

Simon

Emblaser 2 looks impressive but  what sold the Emblaser to me was its small footprint and weight. WiFI as per the new one would be nice though, although since I prefer to be in the vicinity of the Emblaser when its working, a USB cable from a laptop is no huge  difficulty.

The new one obviously has its advantages (pre-focussed laser!) its assumedly ready built, is vented and has a covered work area (no need to wear safety glasses) but for you blokes there the extra costs of shipping a bigger, heavier unit to the UK possibly makes the Glowforge a more attractive unit (if they ever actually release it!)  for I'm guessing around the same purchase price..

If I had neither, and was give the choice of Emblaser or the new one, I reckon for what it does at the price the original one still would win me over. And I do prefer the post-modern  'homemade' look it has I think.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

The only thing I've hot against the Glowforge (other than you can't actually get one....) is its reliance on external 3rd party processing - which makes me nervous. How many software companies (or anything to do with computers) are the same even five years after purchase, let alone more..... Updates and replacements are a way to print money.

Edited by Giles

I was a little bit disappointed too. I would like to have a class 1 laser device very much, because the german authorities are going mad about class 4 lasers since some idiots have targeted their laserpointer beams to airplanes...

But I only need an A4 working area, I don't need a 3D focus, and my budget as well as my space are limited. If the price is near 2000€, a german competitor is Mr.Beam (note the "m" at the end to avoid confusion :jester:

http://mr-beam.org/ 

I would second Giles on Glowforge. I'm fed up with cloud solutions, since I have to work with Office 365 every day. And their teaser video looks to much like a teaser to me...  Sorry, I'm allergic to those smooth salesmen :toclue: .

Additional, I can get a 40W CO2 lasercutter with A4 working area, chinese origin, reworked and technical upgraded in Germany, plug and play, certified class1 standard, for 2500 €, including demonstration and short training at the seller's premises.

So, much depends on the price...

Michael

Edited by teetrix

• RMweb Gold

I received these replies from Domenic Di Giorgio of Darkly Labs to a couple of questions. Thought I'd share..

I've been considering buying an Emblaser for a few months and following with interest the threads on rmweb.co.uk/community discussing the product. Having seen the website announcement regarding the Emblaser 2 I have a few questions. Is the 2 seen as a replacement for the 1 and is the 1 going to be withdrawn as the 2 becomes available?

We will continue to supply the original Emblaser kits until there is demand.

We will certainly be supporting all customer with existing machines for the foreseeable future, including making some of the new technology fro the new machine available as an upgrade.

the small footprint of the a4 version of the 1 is ideal for a small scale hobbyists like me, is there any plan for an upgrading of the business end of the 1 to increase the power?

We plan to release the new laser unit so it can be fitted to existing Emblasers. This will include our improved optics, cooling and laser diode.

Existing customers will also be able to take advantage of a number of software improvements and possible also the air-assist accessory.

Mostly i want to cut 1.5mm MDF for model buildings, doing lots of engraving to draw brick courses and then a little bit of cutting all the way through for wall sections and windows. I'm presuming that the 2 is going to have considerably higher shipping costs to the UK.

The Emblaser 2 will weigh a little more. We have always worked hard at negotiating the lowest shipping costs with our courier companies and will do so again with the new machine. It is difficult to give you accurate information at this point on this though.

David

• RMweb Gold

I've done a test cut to build a GNR style lamp hut with 1/16" basswood ply and the 1.5mm matt card. I have a lot of problems cutting through the card, even at 3mm/s, 100% 2 pass, but I can get through the basswood ply, which is marginally thicker than the card using 6mm/sec, 100%, 1 pass. That card is pretty tough stuff! I'm not sure what else I can do with as it started to get a little orange hot. it I'll add a photo to this post later when I've got the whole thing cut out of plywood.

In the meantime, for those doing bricks, this might be of interest: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1476.0

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

its the latest giant coin shot   :jester:

attachicon.gifDSC_4148a.jpg

think I have just about taken the overlay as fine as i can make it

Nick

Nice work there Nick, but I think your Pound coin is either a forgery (probably) or a very rare real one showing a misaligned die minting error!

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

its the latest giant coin shot   :jester:

attachicon.gifDSC_4148a.jpg

think I have just about taken the overlay as fine as i can make it

Nick

Nice work there Nick, but I think your Pound coin is either a forgery (probably) or a very rare real one showing a misaligned die minting error!

Kev.

excellent was in my change from the coop  :nono:  either that or the ruler is a fake and it's actually imperial not metric  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't get a good cut of in the end last night. I did place the laser underneath the cooker hood, which was successful at venting out the smoke. That said, I'm not going to rely on this, I will be putting something together permanently.

Nick, Those are some very fine lines you are producing there!

Out of interest, has anyone cut 4mm scale bricks? I traced the bricks from the photo I used last night and tried scoring the bricks into that ply but ended up with a charred mess. It was a bit late, so I decided not to continue. Maybe I need to go and find some MDF.

The good news is that the new gantry brackets arrived this morning. Luckily I wasn't stung for more tax & duty, so that's a definite win. I installed them, and while the right-hand one is still a little bit loose, the left one is absolutely solid, and the x axis rods aren't moving at all, which is great news.

I'll have time at the end of work to reattach the belts and give it another go.

cheers

Jason

Jason

My limited experience with ply suggests that MDF will be better for bricks.

I have found (in the uk) 2 and 2.5mm which are OK for 7mm. I guess for 4mm, you'll be looking for 1mm thick? I believe it's available, but have not yet located a source.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Jason

My limited experience with ply suggests that MDF will be better for bricks.

I have found (in the uk) 2 and 2.5mm which are OK for 7mm. I guess for 4mm, you'll be looking for 1mm thick? I believe it's available, but have not yet located a source.

Best

Simon

I think 0.8 ply in 4mm will work well it etches well and cuts cleanly

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Simon and Nick. I think that 0.8mm is about 1/32", so I know where to get the ply. There is a Maker Space in Vancouver, I'll email them and see if I can find a source here in Canada for the MDF.

Nick,

I'm using a CO2 laser, and frankly struggling to get happy with ply.

It might be the batch I've bought, but I have about 15.5 square feet of the stuff to use, before I can try another supplier...

Alternatively, it might be that the Emblaser frequency works better with it. The CO2 blitzes acrylic, and etches MDF beautifully, but maybe ply isn't it's thing.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Nick,

I'm using a CO2 laser, and frankly struggling to get happy with ply.

It might be the batch I've bought, but I have about 15.5 square feet of the stuff to use, before I can try another supplier...

Alternatively, it might be that the Emblaser frequency works better with it. The CO2 blitzes acrylic, and etches MDF beautifully, but maybe ply isn't it's thing.

Best

Simon

Simon

I have a duff batch of ply you need to make sure its indoor ply (something about the glues used) now I order by the sheet from the same supplier its a few pennies more than the cheap stuff but cuts.   I have  a problem sourcing suitable mdf its all luck of the draw

Nick