Darkly Labs emblaser - affordable laser cutter - review

it is extraordinary that windows considers itself a higher priority than whatever task the user has set it to do.  Good job cars, planes & trains have better manners!

Thats because the safety critical systems are designed using real time control operating systems where the designer controls priorities.

This is why RaspberryPi and Microbits introductions in schools are so much more important than pupils learning Office etc.

• Like 1

Paul

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree!

It wouldn't hurt for some of the interrupt priorities on consumer systems to be given a bit more thought however.

The classic alert window on an iphone stopping the user ending a call until the alert is acknowledged is a particular irritation

Anyhow miles OT!

Best

Simon

Hi again Emblaserers!

I'm back from the big  ef en  flood.

2 weeks of tearing up carpets and dealing with  insurance companies and working out how to convince them that a pile of papier mache was once expensive laser friendly taskboard  stock that cost $120 to ship from the USA...

All my cardboard and ply got soaked and now has mould all over it, but - and I know this has nothing to do with model railways - I've found enough dry veneer bits to have a play with marquetry using the emblaser, to make a lid for a jewelry box  ...

post-22541-0-61394500-1466332844_thumb.jpg

mainly so I can get permission from the other half to get an emblaser2!

Now back to working out insurance forms...!

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5

Hi Chris,

the marquetry is superb. Maybe even a way to raise funds for the hobby...

Sorry to hear about the flooding. I hope you was able to rescue the items your heart is set on, all other things can be replaced. Good luck with the insurance companies!

Michael

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the kind wishes.  I do have some ply I can send you, it arrived as 1,5mm, now its about 4mm , kind of spongy  and speckly green!

Let me know i f you want it and we can work something out.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi all!

My name is Sam. I've recently joined the Darkly Labs team and it has been truely fascinating learning the ins and outs of the Emblaser, but more specifically, looking through all the amazing creations it can achieve.

After looking through much of the content in this forum, I just had to ask if anyone would object to us sharing some of your creations on our Facebook page? We think people would love to see your work!

Have a nice day Emblaserers!

Thanks,

Sam

• RMweb Premium

Hi all!

My name is Sam. I've recently joined the Darkly Labs team and it has been truely fascinating learning the ins and outs of the Emblaser, but more specifically, looking through all the amazing creations it can achieve.

After looking through much of the content in this forum, I just had to ask if anyone would object to us sharing some of your creations on our Facebook page? We think people would love to see your work!

Thanks,

Sam

no problem from me 

Nick

who is still waiting for plywood supplies........ :O

• RMweb Gold

Owdo Sam, good to see you. I've not got much to show at the moment, unless you count long strips of bricks for a platform. Im really enjoying the learning curve though.

I thought I'd have a go at getting Trolase ADA over here before the UK. No retailers as far as I can see, but Trotec are just down the road in Vancouver. They are wholesale only, but you never know, I might be able to persuade them as I can feasibly use it in my work... If not, then I'll be importing it I suppose.

Edited by JCL

• RMweb Premium

Having declined Chris kind offer of soggy plywood in my attempt to find an alternative supplier I tried 4dmodels, postage charges  where such that I added a couple of try me sheets.  Result their 0.8mm ply does not cut ( it would at numerous x multiple passes I suspect but gave up after trying 10 cuts and a very chard edge)  so I suspect it is marine /  exterior grade.  However the 1mm mfd cuts very well 3 passes 100% 11mm second.

post-1480-0-01144600-1466524674_thumb.jpg

its the giant coin shot again

post-1480-0-22692700-1466524669_thumb.jpg

funny  how photos always show the bits you missed  to be honest drawing the bricks sent me slightly  :fool:

post-1480-0-12081800-1466524671_thumb.jpg

Building i intended for the area groups shunting plank time I add the overlays and bits it should be alright

Nick

edited for pp spelling

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

Where did the 1mm MDF come from? Anywhere local (said he, hopefully) ?

Best

Simon

Simon

4dmodels London,  excellent if expensive mail order with  next day delivery although I believe they have a retail shop if your i that area

Nick

Hi guys

Having spent the last few days entertaining relatives I thought it was time to get back to the workbench.  I've been trialling various materials at various settings on the Emblazer.  Hopefully the attached 'PDF' will be of interest.

Interestingly I had the same results with 0.8 ply that Nick got - and MY ply was reputedly laserable...

.materias and cutting info.pdf.

If anyone has trouble opening it I can put it up as a '.doc'

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys

Having spent the last few days entertaining relatives I thought it was time to get back to the workbench.  I've been trialling various materials at various settings on the Emblazer.  Hopefully the attached 'PDF' will be of interest.

Interestingly I had the same results with 0.8 ply that Nick got - and MY ply was reputedly laserable...

.attachicon.gifmaterias and cutting info.pdf.

If anyone has trouble opening it I can put it up as a '.doc'

Regards

Ian

Ian

looking at your results I would suggest faster speed and multi cuts work better with less burning  , good quality  0.8mm interior ply does cut ( as per my wagons) trouble is the suppliers whose wood cuts is  out of stock  :rtfm:  :rtfm:  :rtfm:

NIck

• Like 1

Hi all!

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, but I've sure  had a crappy month -  floods, then on the weekend I killed my laptop with a full cup of coffee and this morning my dog (who made a small cameo appearance in post #1 of this thread) passed away, but enough about my woes, in regards to your question I'm happy for you to use any pictures  that you think Facebook worthy.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by monkeysarefun

Sam - no problems!

Chris - 'B****y hell mate - all that's missing is the 'four horsement'...  Best wishes for a csppedy resumption of what passes for 'normality'

Giles - re 'Slate'.  I WAS wondering - having a fair amount left over from a house rebuild...

Anyone want any placemats - probably with railway designs thereon??

Hi all!

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, but I've sure  had a crappy month -  floods, then on the weekend I killed my laptop with a full cup of coffee and this morning my dog (who made a small cameo appearance in post #1 of this thread) passed away, but enough about my woes, in regards to your question I'm happy for you to use any pictures  that you think Facebook worthy.

Cheers,

Chris.

• RMweb Gold

That slate is fantastic, like Ian I am looking to do a gift for some neighbours who have helped us a lot over the last year. He's a Canadian Pacific man, so a beaver on a stone coaster would look good. I just need to find a slate coaster. :) Aha, my wife is going to North Wales tomorrow with her folks...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That slate is fantastic, like Ian I am looking to do a gift for some neighbours who have helped us a lot over the last year. He's a Canadian Pacific man, so a beaver on a stone coaster would look good. I just need to find a slate coaster. :) Aha, my wife is going to North Wales tomorrow with her folks...

Slightly worried by 'laser cutting' ' Beaver' 'Wife' appearing in the same sentence.

Should I be?

Regards

Ian