Barnetby Freight

Hi All

Has anybody been to Barnetby recently as I've been told it's a good place to see some freight trains, but not sure of the situation at present.

If so what is the best day for freight.

Where is the best place to photo.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob, i manage a 1 or 2 visits a year despite only living in Hull! I have not been for a while so cannot comment on the present situation due to the economic down turn.

My visits have been on different days and unless you are heavily into the freightmaster timings it is purley pot luck as to what turns up.

Typically around 7-8 freights/light engine movments an hour. I have seen more and have seen less. I have waited over 30 minutes and then 3 turn up together!

There is a HUGE footbridge at the station whic gives good views.

Wrap up well as it is very open when there is a bit of wind.

Hope this helps

Paul

• RMweb Gold

If you are a member of freightmaster you will often get the weekly plan which obviously makes it easier to predict whats likely on a given day.

Unless you pick a day where the coal has run out you should get a steady stream of 66s and 185s with some 153s, some 170s, and the odd 60.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Thanks to all who responded to my Question, seems like its worth a visit when the weather picks up.

How would Barnetby compare with Water Orton, better or worse.

Cheers

Bob

Depends on what you consider better ...

More freight at Barnetby but mostly coal or ore, more variety, liners, steel, infrastructure etc at Water Orton.

3 60s working through Barnetby today.

• RMweb Gold

Barnetby has proper signals too - gives you the chance to get set up for a shot as well as looking good.

Barnetby has semaphores - I'm sure a lot of drivers consider colour lights just as proper :rolleyes:

Guest Digital

Barnetby has semaphores - I'm sure a lot of drivers consider colour lights just as proper rolleyes.gif

It's a while since I was last at Barnetby.

This is how the semaphores looked back in 2001!!!!

[ attachment=26008:60028_Barnetby_280901.jpg]

John

Just a small point. I was asking about Barnetby recently and the pub by the station does excellent food (check which days) I'm told. There are also other fodder depots near by. :)

36E

Chip shop in the Main St is first rate!

birdseyecircus - what's the cruise ship on your avatar?

Me and the missus recently travelled down Australia and over to New Zealand on a cruise.

Very interesting to be in harbours and see the freight traffic.

Some were quite busy and some had special trains come into the harbours to take punters to local attractions.

Living nearby, I know Barnetby well. If you come by road, continue along the A18 towards Grimsby instead of turning off to Barnetby. Turn right in Melton Ross, park up where you can, and walk back to the road overbridge. Some excellent shots to be had from there, in both directions, plus there is a footpath on the south side of the line towards Barnetby if you want video without traffic noises.

Archived