Model Rail 220 April 2016

dibber25

On sale March 10.

Packed with practical features, advice, inspiration and real layout-building!

News:

Nuremberg Toy Fair report.

Drax Biomass wagons

Reviews:

-     Richard Foster examines Heljan’s LNER ‘O2’ 2-8-0.

-     Minitrains ‘OO9’ Baldwin 2-6-2T

Layouts:

- Market Rasen ('OO')

- Tormouth (‘2FS’)

Inspirations

History by the Line. Chris Leigh’s guide to architecture that will set your layout apart.

An Englishman’s Home. Paul Lunn designs layouts with a castle theme.

Don't Panic - Paul Lunn helps Mike Harris plan his dream layout and begins to investigate forced perspective.

Workbench: 

Detail your embankment. Peter Marriott cultivates that modern, unkempt look.

Improve a Dapol church. It’s cheap and venerable but George Dent can still make this plastic kit into something special.

Create a statue. George shows how to make a great ‘bronze’ monument.

Create exterior finishes. Bea Broadwood is a master model building maker. She demonstrates her techniques.

Build your own castle. Chris Leigh shows how easy it is to build a castle keep like the one on the cover.

Plan your castle. Paul Lunn shows how to fit a castle on your layout.

Layout wiring – 3. George Dent deals with wiring reverse loops.

Solder-free finescale track. Peter Marriott combines C&L and Peco.

Regulars:

Q&A, Show & Tell, Exhibition Diary, Backscene with some truly awful puns!

post-1062-0-08599700-1457361373_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry to say Chris, I'm getting sick of model rail.

I've been a subscriber for over 10 years but the last year or so it has become more or less the same every month.

It's either top ten this,top ten the other. And fewer layouts and rolling stock articles. Yes there is some decent stuff but it's getting very 'samey'

Can't you restart model railway constructor, my favourite mag as a kid!

I'm sorry to say Chris, I'm getting sick of model rail.

I've been a subscriber for over 10 years but the last year or so it has become more or less the same every month.

It's either top ten this,top ten the other. And fewer layouts and rolling stock articles. Yes there is some decent stuff but it's getting very 'samey'

Can't you restart model railway constructor, my favourite mag as a kid!

Can't recall doing a 'top 10' anything recently. Maybe I wasn't concentrating. I've actually been pushing for more 'constructional' articles and that's what we've had in recent issues. True, it's at the expense of layout articles (there's still at least two in every issue, which is the same as when we started Model Rail, and one more per issue than the Constructor). Frankly, I'm one who has been keen to reduce the number of layout articles, due to the repetition which results from four magazines using around 20 layouts a month. It simply isn't sustainable. Anyway, sorry you don't like what we're doing. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

It probably isn't'top' tens Chris. But ten ways or ten this. Anyway it's a bit irrelevant.

I used to really look forward to the magazine coming out, but I'm finding that it holds my attention for less time every month. It might just be me but track plans leave me quite cold,irrespective of how good some are. It's not an attack on anyone, I thought I'd let you know and see what others think.

Cheers

It probably isn't'top' tens Chris. But ten ways or ten this. Anyway it's a bit irrelevant.

I used to really look forward to the magazine coming out, but I'm finding that it holds my attention for less time every month. It might just be me but track plans leave me quite cold,irrespective of how good some are. It's not an attack on anyone, I thought I'd let you know and see what others think.

Cheers

We always need to know what people think and comments are always read and considered. The numbers thing - usually on the cover - is a sales tool. Those in the know say that numbers catch people's attention and covers are all about grabbing attention. You have four seconds to make someone cross the store to pick up your magazine. I've been signed up for a day course on 'cover tasters' (the words we put on the cover) so I'll soon be wise to what the latest thinking is. (CJL)

YOU have been signed up for a cover's course! They should be taking a course from you especially for your 60s MRC covers!

I'm flattered that my boss thinks I'm still worth training! Also flattered that you liked the MRC covers, though to be fair the concept for the mid-1960s cover pictures was the work of the great Colin Gifford - I merely built the models and tried to make them do what Colin wanted (not very easy with the crude models of the time). It would be great to re-do some with modern models and camera techniques, and without Photoshop. They would be illegal now, as the 'smoke' came from Colin's cigarette! Incidentally on the cover of MR220 the only Photoshop is the sky, to block out the ceiling of my workroom. (CJL) 

"Plan and build your own Castle"

Perhaps you should send a copy to the NRM - they could use £4.5 million to build a new Castle locomotive.  It doesn't HAVE to be GWR, they could make the Scottish contingent happy and build an example of the Highland Railway class.....

Sorry - I've just sat through the lurve-fest on BBC 4 and I needed to say something catty.......

• RMweb Gold

I'm flattered that my boss thinks I'm still worth training! Also flattered that you liked the MRC covers, though to be fair the concept for the mid-1960s cover pictures was the work of the great Colin Gifford - I merely built the models and tried to make them do what Colin wanted (not very easy with the crude models of the time). It would be great to re-do some with modern models and camera techniques, and without Photoshop. They would be illegal now, as the 'smoke' came from Colin's cigarette! Incidentally on the cover of MR220 the only Photoshop is the sky, to block out the ceiling of my workroom. (CJL)

I remember reading in an MRC annual about the making of the covers,legendary!

It will be interesting to see how many votes are cast in the model of the year awards run by model rail now they have split from the rmweb/ brm run ones earlier in the year. I personally can't be bothered to go through the rigmarole of voting again.

Good luck anyway

Cheers

Mark

Afraid I have to agree with the lack of interesting articles.Perhaps less concentration on beginners and unimaginative modelers. A few articles on the less common items available from cottage industries too.

The Mag  used to be pushing innovation now it seems to be following all the other sheeplike mags. Sorry was particularly bored with this months articles.

Frankly, I'm one who has been keen to reduce the number of layout articles, due to the repetition which results from four magazines using around 20 layouts a month. It simply isn't sustainable.

I'm not so sure that it matters that layouts are repeated in magazines - after all it's only duplication that you will see if you buy them all and I doubt all enthusiasts purchase half a dozen model railway mags each month. Besides daily newspapers don't share out the news - they all report the same stories. It's a matter of having different photos and reporting a unique approach/angle.

G.

actually looks more interesting than the constant dibble of articles about layouts. There needs to be variety, and something to inspire people to get modelling. Suspect many of those who grumble either don't build models or no longer build them. Just need to find someone to do some drawings and we ill be back to the good old days of MRC. Having said that, other magazines(which have been around for a long time) have managed to have some drawings in every issue. Given how (relatively) easy it is to scan something for 3d printing, it should not be that difficult to scan some items and use software to create accurate drawings.

I still think there is not enough about the new technologies coming through, apart from the pieces Chris has done on 3D printing. Laser cutting/etching is commonly used now, but silhouette cutting is still very much used by craft people, but is not very different to methods used before plastic took over.

Historic building, a big subject, but looks like mainly stone not brick. The brick is said to have been the most important part of the industrial revolution. Without the brick it simply would not have happened , or would have been a lot slower to develop. It is taken for granted, and more often than not , done incorrectly on models. Would make a good follow up to historic buildings.

There needs to be variety, and something to inspire people to get modelling. Suspect many of those who grumble either don't build models or no longer build them.

Variety means being inclusive of a wide range of article types - including layouts (of all scales), not being restrictive and ditching them. But, of course, it's a matter of balance.

I can't see that there is any connection between grumbling and not modelling. Often it's a matter of being inspired and encouraged and seeing decent models, including layouts, is part of that. For some, who are unable to get out and visit exhibitions, viewing layouts in magazines and on forums is often the only way they get to see what can be achieved in the railway modelling hobby.

G.

• RMweb Gold

We always need to know what people think and comments are always read and considered. The numbers thing - usually on the cover - is a sales tool. Those in the know say that numbers catch people's attention and covers are all about grabbing attention. You have four seconds to make someone cross the store to pick up your magazine. I've been signed up for a day course on 'cover tasters' (the words we put on the cover) so I'll soon be wise to what the latest thinking is. (CJL)

As a subscriber I actually pay little or no attention to the covers - just a glance at the picture or a longer look if its a picture which interests me.  And even before I started subscribing the only thing that I looked at on the cover was the picture in order to make sure the newsagent or whatever had put the latest issue on the shelf instead of the previous one.

My view is probably a bit old fashioned but I have always liked a cover picture which 'showcases' something important in the contents or illustrates a theme which that issue is addressing.  Spoiling with lots of 'post-it notes' simply doesn't appeal to me and I don't take any notice of them anyway.

As a subscriber I actually pay little or no attention to the covers - just a glance at the picture or a longer look if its a picture which interests me.  And even before I started subscribing the only thing that I looked at on the cover was the picture in order to make sure the newsagent or whatever had put the latest issue on the shelf instead of the previous one.

My view is probably a bit old fashioned but I have always liked a cover picture which 'showcases' something important in the contents or illustrates a theme which that issue is addressing.  Spoiling with lots of 'post-it notes' simply doesn't appeal to me and I don't take any notice of them anyway.

Yep, I agree with that. And, of course, the cover is hardly a 'sales tool' to subscribers - they've already effectively purchased the magazine so there is little point in trying to sell to them.

G.

• RMweb Premium

I like layout articles, which is why I suppose I like Railway Modeller , as there is usually 5 or 6 , and increasingly liking BRM , with I think three this month. I get the point there are less layout subjects to go around , but you can look at them from an alternative point of view. I think the BRM article looking at the locomotives of Glendevon is a case in point, concentrating on the locos , but showing the layout to fine effect. Nice Scottish locos , should someone from Hornby or Oxford be taking note.

I haven't seen this edition, but from the cover ,it suggests there's just too much on structure modelling . I appreciate some will, but I'm not really interested in telling my Victorian from my Roman artefact, which the cover suggests.

I like track plans and planning articles. I also like layout articles and the Toddler is my favourite mag. What I don't like is reviews that run to several pages with larger-than-life photo's. Generally speaking if I want a J15 I only have a choice of one, and if it is deficient in any way then I'll have to modify it. What would be useful is side-by-side reviews (Adams tanks for example), but unfortunately one will come off worse.

Ed

Yep, I agree with that. And, of course, the cover is hardly a 'sales tool' to subscribers - they've already effectively purchased the magazine so there is little point in trying to sell to them.

G.

Yes, subs copies don't really need a cover. However, it is THE MOST VITAL sales tool in the newsagents' shop and before you can sell a subscription you have to get a new reader to pick up the mag in a newsagents store. The cover has to really work to do that and numerous highly skilled people have input into what goes on the cover and how it is presented. It's design takes longer than any other page in the magazine. The picture always relates closely to the content but in the majority of shop displays it is hidden and you only see the masthead. As to the layout content, I have a personal dislike of duplication and it does no one any good when the same layout appears in two magazines in the same month (as happened at least once last year). In the days of Model Railway Constructor it was always considered 'bad form' to provide one's layout to more than one magazine but in today's clamour for layouts, that protocol has largely been ignored. In fact, although there are two conventional layout features in MR220, there are also the MR staff project layouts (mine and Mike's this month) and Paul Lunn's layout design features. Surely that should be enough layout material - just trying to keep MR a bit different from the pack. (CJL)

I have a personal dislike of duplication and it does no one any good when the same layout appears in two magazines in the same month (as happened at least once last year). In the days of Model Railway Constructor it was always considered 'bad form' to provide one's layout to more than one magazine but in today's clamour for layouts, that protocol has largely been ignored. )

Most ordinary punters aren't really going to see it as duplication (unless they purchase all the model railway mags every month) and especially if they show different photographs and have a different angle/approach. I'd guess it is mostly those in the business, like yourself, who are more likely to consider it as duplication as you are more likely to see all the publications when making comparisons and checking out the competition.

G.

Most ordinary punters aren't really going to see it as duplication (unless they purchase all the model railway mags every month) and especially if they show different photographs and have a different angle/approach. I'd guess it is mostly those in the business, like yourself, who are more likely to consider it as duplication as you are more likely to see all the publications when making comparisons and checking out the competition.

G.

I think it is important for readers to have choice. Four magazines all looking the same, doing the same things, reviewing the same new models and featuring the same layouts, doesn't give modellers choice. That's why Model Rail is deliberately doing things which are different and offering an alternative to the other three. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

My copy of 'Hypocaust Monthly' ;) (CJL will know what I mean if others haven't seen it yet) arrived this morning and it is definitely different in its approach but the interesting thing is that while it has a strong emphasis on historical buildings it has an equally strong emphasis on how to build some for yourself, definitely a different angle on putting some buildings on your layout and overall it has a nice feel of 'how to' about it.

Some people will probably hate it and wonder what castles and hypocausts have to do with model railways but I think the mag shows exactly how they can become involved in layout design and that the spirit of John Ahern is alive and well as far as that sort of scenic feature is concerned.  And while I'm definitely not up for Stokesay castle - which I love as a building, and have glimpsed trains from - the issue has planted one or two ideas that could be relevant to the Marches.  However with the floors uncovered like that the hypocaust might best be presented as the site of a dig rather than one which is preserved as most of those in Britain seem to be roofed over.

I am afraid I have to agree with russ p; the April magazine popped through the letter box a couple of hours ago.  I eagerly opened the wrapper and what did I find?  Another disappointing issue, just the same as the past few months; Chris says MR is going in a different direction, but I'm sorry but that direction has little appeal to me.  And the one thing I applaud MR for is their excellent reviews; just two this month.  MR has little control over what is submitted for review but I guess this is partly reflects a lack of releases in blue boxes and by the Hornby situation, talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

I've voted with my wallet; I've phoned up and cancelled my subscription. Sad indeed, I have every issue back to when they were inserts in Steam Railway(?).

Martin

I have written previously on RM on what I believe is the falling quality of the contents of Model Rail of the past while - or has it been since Ben moved on?  Mine arrives by an advanced subscription payment so I don't buy it monthly on the strength of the cover illustration.  But if I was considering buying it over the counter I fear that now I wouldn't be bothering to purchase it given the present quality of the contents - cover or no cover illustration!

It seems that MR has moved into the market for modelling for beginners - which is no bad thing.  The magazine has little appeal for a modeller like myself who has been whittling plasticard and the like for more years than I would care to admit.  And if the MR is now for beginners, the article on 'Creating Realistic Pantiles'  was a bit odd - since when was 1:48 a model railway scale? Working to that scale should surely have come with a health warning for those beginners who will end up with mighty big pantiles if they are 00 or N gauge modellers.  Again this article on pantiles looks like advertising dressed up as modelling exercise - the paints being only available from the author of the article.   Not really satisfactory in my opinion.

Castles? At least we were spared Harry Potter's Castle this time!  Seems to me that a lot of effort has gone in to the MR with the final articles lacking substance.  

Time to cancel the subscription methinks - which is sad as I have read every MR since those days when it was a few pages of inserts.  

Archived