Which Flying Scotsman?

Garry D100

• RMweb Premium

This might help the discussion:

IMG_2871.jpg.ca4854f27b3b7ceb7f2a0aa2857ea68e.jpg

Top:  R 3437 Firdaussi, with gloss Apple Green finish, an A3 in mid-1930's condition:  banjo dome and high sided, non-streamlined tender.  Left hand drive, as it was built as an A3 from new.  Large cab cut-outs.

Middle:  R 3627 Flying Scotsman, in 1950 condition with BR blue satin finish, streamlined dome and streamlined, non-corridor tender.  Right hand drive (she was originally built as an A1) and with the small cab cut-outs.  She was converted to left hand drive in the early 50's.

Bottom, R 3081 Flying Scotsman, the NRM collection model, by now with left hand drive, streamlined corridor tender, electrification warning flashes, double chimney and smoke deflectors.

The original banjo dome was superseded by the streamlined dome on A3's, and to my knowledge was never carried by 4472/60103.  The differences between the tenders are not huge, and could be remodelled with a little care.

And for completeness:

IMG_2872.jpg.e13962f3084c5a47e3e5829d648333ad.jpg

This one is a hybrid:  Hornby's R3132 Book Law (body), renumbered/relettered as Prince Of Wales in 1949 condition, converted to RHD.  With GNR railed tender, swopped from R3518 Gay Crusader.  The round dome was carried by A1's and some A3 boilers into BR days, Flying Scotsman carried one until 1947, I believe.  60054 still needs to have the large cab cut-out converted to the small one.

Not shown:  smokebox without the rectangular panels, as Flying Scotsman would have had before her conversion to A3 in 1947.

Phil.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ribird said:

I’ll just stick with a Royal Lancer and deal it not having the right tender. If they make one later, I’ll swap tenders.

Also, Royal Lancer is in GNR condition, i.e. it's got no bufferbeam cutouts, higher saftey valves, chimney and cab roof ventilator and short travel valves. I'm not sure when these features were modified to suit the LNER loading gauge.

3 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Also, Royal Lancer is in GNR condition, i.e. it's got no bufferbeam cutouts, higher saftey valves, chimney and cab roof ventilator and short travel valves. I'm not sure when these features were modified to suit the LNER loading gauge.

They were, just remembered that but didn’t notice it on the model. Back to square one, just have to wait for the right model release.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this topic up again, what would be a good A1/A3 for a 1942 condition that is not in wartime colors (doesn’t have to be Flying Scotsman)

What would be a good place to look up old photos of engines during that period?

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2019 at 03:59, Ribird said:

Bringing this topic up again, what would be a good A1/A3 for a 1942 condition that is not in wartime colors (doesn’t have to be Flying Scotsman)

What would be a good place to look up old photos of engines during that period?

R3439 Woolwinder for an A1.  Gloss finish can be toned down with satin or Matt varnish.

R3518 Gay Crusader for a RHD A3, if you are prepared to rename/renumber in pre-1946 style shaded font.

Yeadon’s register, volume 1 is an excellent reference source for understanding the evolution of the A1 and A3 locomotives over time.

• Agree 1

Hi All,

I have arrived late to this discussion.

What about the Flying Scotsman in BR green?

i know the one shown below is era 11 (& I am unsure when the German smoke deflectors were fitted, but I am sure someone on here can advise). Removal of the warning flashes would of course have to be done to make a potential candidate if you are flexible on the double chimney etc.

Unless  of course Hornby have provided this previously in a 1960's condition - I recall a weathered version a few years back.....

IMG_2811.PNG

24 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

i know the one shown below is era 11 (& I am unsure when the German smoke deflectors were fitted, but I am sure someone on here can advise). Removal of the warning flashes would of course have to be done to make a potential candidate if you are flexible on the double chimney etc.

Unless  of course Hornby have provided this previously in a 1960's condition - I recall a weathered version a few years back.....

IMG_2811.PNG

The version shown is as she is now hence modern warning flashes and corridor tender. Hornby have done 60103 in weathered late BR condition with non corridor tender. The deflectors were added in early 1961 and removed on preservation in 1963 ,then again in preservation in 1993 -1995 and 2000 onwards (minus the time for lengthy overhaul)

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

IMG_2811.PNG

He did say 1942 condition. 

Hi Hilux5972,

Thanks for the feedback.

Reading Garry’s original post he said ‘around 1970’s - 1980’s’.

I know the BR green was more applicable to the 1960’s & the Hornby weathered version was based on 1963 (so still a little out of the requested time line).

A little modellers license could always be applied if the inclination took him.... 

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 03:58, Chamby said:

R3439 Woolwinder for an A1.  Gloss finish can be toned down with satin or Matt varnish.

R3518 Gay Crusader for a RHD A3, if you are prepared to rename/renumber in pre-1946 style shaded font.

Yeadon’s register, volume 1 is an excellent reference source for understanding the evolution of the A1 and A3 locomotives over time.

Ok, I have to ask what is RHD?

Where would one fine Yeadon's register?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ribird said:

Ok, I have to ask what is RHD?

Where would one fine Yeadon's register?

Yes, RHD means Right Hand Drive.  Externally the most obvious difference is that the reversing lever and the ejector pipe (runs parallel to the boiler handrail) are on the drivers side.  A1’s were originally built as right hand drive, then converted to left hand drive in the 1950’s.  They were all converted to A3’s before this time, so a RHD A3 is one that was originally an A1, after conversion to A3 but before Conversion to LHD.  Examples include Flying Scotsman and Gay Crusader at nationalisation.  Later members of the class were built as A3’s from new, and were only ever left hand drive.

Yeadons Register is a large series of books featuring details of each class of LNER locomotives.  Volume 1 covers the A1/A3 class.  It gives details of dates, rebuilds, boiler and tender details, conversion dates etc for the full class, plus illustrative photographs of detail differences throughout the history of the class, including renumbering dates.  If you want to model an individual locomotive at a specific point in time, it is a most helpful guide.  Yeadons guides for all main classes of LNER locomotives are available from some model railway booksellers, and you can often pick up second hand copies on Amazon.

Phil

Edited by Chamby
Correction
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Chamby said:

Yes, RHD means Right Hand Drive.  Externally the most obvious difference is that the reversing lever and the ejector pipe (runs parallel to the boiler handrail) are on the drivers side.  A1’s were originally built as right hand drive, then converted to left hand drive in the 1950’s.  They were all converted to A3’s before this time, so a RHD A3 is one that was originally an A1, after conversion to A3 but before Conversion to LHD.  Examples include Flying Scotsman and Gay Crusader at nationalisation.  Later members of the class were built as A3’s from new, and were only ever left hand drive.

Yeadons Register is a large series of books featuring details of each class of LNER locomotives.  Volume 1 covers the A1/A3 class.  It gives details of dates, rebuilds, boiler and tender details, conversion dates etc for the full class, plus illustrative photographs of detail differences throughout the history of the class, including renumbering dates.  If you want to model an individual locomotive at a specific point in time, it is a most helpful guide.  Yeadons guides for all main classes of LNER locomotives are available from some model railway booksellers, and you can often pick up second hand copies on Amazon.

Phil

Where would one find/buy this?

Just ignore this. I misread part of this.

Edited by Ribird