London's East End Diesels

Baby Deltic

Following on from the London's East End Railways Vol. 1 & 2, a new book has now come out called London's East End Diesels by D. Brennand. Published by Book Law Publications it is a wonderful photographic record of classic diesel traction around London's east end from their introduction in the late 1950's up to around 2004. This is a GM free product and features classic diesel classes up to class 60 and DMU's from Met Cam lightweights up to class 127. There are also a couple of shots of EMU's, electric loco's and a class 73 EDL. The book has 92 pages, the first 28 of which feature black and white prints, and colour thereafter. A must for anyone interested in or modelling the area in the diesel era. Stratford, Devons Road, locations on the Poplar branch, LTS, NLR, LLS - Cambridge routes and others feature.

ISBN 978-1-909625-57-0

Picked up a copy at the Nottingham show.

Here is my review :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Wot 'e sed ^^^^

And I'm a northern oik; not usually venturing south of Birmingham, let alone Watford. :)

Fortunately they had plenty for sale on the Book Law stand and at a bargain price of 17 quid. Got to say I think it's an outstanding book! Brings back loads of memories of trips into London via Liverpool st, some pics of Devons Road I've not seen before and loads more.

Highly recommended  :no:

This is indeed a superb book, full of wonderful images and worth every penny. One small thing did slightly irritate me however, the author's statement on page 22 that 'such frivolities as painting locomotives in special liveries is a practice that has just about disappeared from the national network'. This could not be further from truth, for example; 91111 in 'For the Fallen' livery, 91101 Flying Scotsman, Class 57s in Northern Belle colours, London Underground liveried Class 66s, and even HST Power Car 43129 in Bristol 2015 European Green Capital colours, to name but a few.

Thanks for the reviews folks. I will order mine once I am back home after Easter.

I have both of the East End Railways volumes and they were a fascinating read with lots of great images, so I'm looking forward to this photo album.

• 2 weeks later...

Have received my copy now, and have to say that it is as good as I had hoped.

The rear cover colour photo of D8407 with a train of limestone hoppers is worth the price of the book alone, in my view.

My copy arrived in the post this morning and it is superb. I hadn't realised that is was a soft back book but that doesn't detract from the quality, just like volume 2 of Londons East End Railways.

For those who are considering getting a copy I would highly recommend, 92 pages of photos, the first 30 pages in black and white and the rest in colour. I do like the sight of green locos with full yellow ends, and pre TOPS numbers. I always found trips to Stratford and LIverpool Street quite exotic being a WR resident from South Wales. I used to love seeing class 31 and split headcode 37s that we never got around here. One trip in September 1971 I noted 8055 & 8056 as Liverpool Street station pilots, and the two Baby Deltics on shed. All four of these locos are in the book so quite a nostalgia trip for me.

Truly this is an excellent book and well worth the pennies asked. It records a time of great interest to those of us of a certain age who can recall the sudden transition to diesels in East Anglia. The best bit about the whole era was that "steam" type operations continued with goods workings and semaphore signals and the like. I grew up in these days and was still enthused by the green monsters and the variety we seemed to have on the region. I now have most of the classes covered by models and the class 125 is not far away it seems. Additionally, we had the superb Clacton Electrics (Class 309) which were really the acme of emus and their like has not been seen since, their replacements being uncomfortable and slower. They were happy times when you could go to somewhere like Clare in Suffolk and see a green Brush 2 (31) on a train of a dozen wagons meandering across the Suffolk landscape.

(wipes tears of nostalgia from tired eyes and shuffles off!)

Martin Long

Actually, I made my comment about the photo of D8407 before I had reached the last few pages of the book, and so had not come across the image of D1056 near Tottenham South Junction, on page 83, with a freight bound for Temple Mills.

Pure quality.

• RMweb Premium

Actually, I made my comment about the photo of D8407 before I had reached the last few pages of the book, and so had not come across the image of D1056 near Tottenham South Junction, on page 83, with a freight bound for Temple Mills.

Pure quality.

Hi Jonny

It doesn't compare with the photo of the BRCW Bo-Bo D5408 at Stratford Low Level (Page 43). :imsohappy: The Heljan model that keeps saying "Buy Me, Buy Me" :yahoo: when I am in John Dutfield's Model Railways might win and be added to the off region locos for Brisbane Road. :declare:

Archived