Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

A cracking good photo is that one.  Shows the rivets perfectly. The dome was quite tricky to get right on my first build of her. It will be interesting to see how I fare with the upcoming one.

Hello Ken,

Don't know if this might help, in a book i am reading about strange facts on the railways it mentions the LION was the star of a film called the Titfield Thunderbolt ( 1952 ) It features an original Lion built in 1838 still running under it's own steam.

HTH

Grasshopper J.

Yes, Lion was running under her own steam. all 80psi of it. She had been restored by the Stephenson Locomotive Society for the Liverpool and Manchester centenary in 1930. Unfortunately, by 1951, she could only achieve 15mph running light on the level, so when seen in the film with an improvised coach and toad, the method used was for one of the 14XX used in the film to push then brake sharply to stay out of shot.

Nick

Guest Isambarduk

"so when seen in the film with an improvised coach and toad, the method used was for one of the 14XX used in the film to push then brake sharply to stay out of shot."

Exactly, so not really under her own steam, then!

"so when seen in the film with an improvised coach and toad, the method used was for one of the 14XX used in the film to push then brake sharply to stay out of shot."

Exactly, so not really under her own steam, then!

Hair splitting, I think, David. She was certainly in steam and would have been making some contribution to continued motion.

Nick

Yes, Titfield Thunderbolt is one of my all time favourites. I have just received a copy of The Story of Lion. Published in 1980 by Merseyside County Museums.  Contains excellent photos and 7mm scale drawings.

Just coaches of the period to get drawings for next.

These are the coaches I made from the resin castings I produced late 1980's early 90's. (Long since gone)

post-150-0-25448400-1424984832.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

Hi Ian. You are quite right, (I missed that fact on his website).    Speed reading does have it's faults :scratchhead:

I will get in touch with him. One of the coaches looks promising for a little kit bashing or scratch building from his drawings. Thanks again.

Regards, Ken

Hi, I have made some of SER kits, a couple of wagons and a Horse Box.  They are nice kits  and go together well.  His etched brake gear is beautifully detailed, good drawings, and the instructions have been written by somebody as they built the kit, full of useful sequence tips so that bits can be painted when its easy.  Why give a plug for these kits? They are unusual being well researched models of early Victorian era railway equipment.  I model the HR  during the First War.  There is a great shortage of rolling stock for this period and especially earlier. If you want to model 1860s I can only think of two sources SER and Parlimentary Models (apologies for ommissions). To reproduce the stock in a goods yard photo from 1900 would require a lot of stratch building.

By the way I really enjoy your site, thanks for 72 pages of inspiration.  The quality of your builds and the speed you work at is wonderful. Real craftsmanship. Regards, MW.

• Like 1

Hi all.  Just and update, no replies from SER or Parliamentary models.  I have excellent drawings for and photos for LION.   The coaches have proved more of a challenge but I have excellent straight on side and end photos and from those work out the dimensions. All I need now is the time slot to start the project.

In the meantime I'm building another Carriage & Wagon B1.  

• Like 2

Hi Peter. It's to the usual standard of Carriage & Wagon offerings.  At least I know what to expect from the last build. (Can be seen on page 9)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.  It's been a while, (Still doing the house refurbishment). There is still quitw a way to go yet though.

This B! has been a long and frustrating build. Not being able to get into the flow of it at all with just grabbing the odd hour here and there.

Anyway it's all done and ready for the off for the off.

I have some interesting kit's to build over the next few months but first I have to get the house finished.  The fall will be a very nice break. A conducted coach tour starting with a trip down to the Eurostar. Then a short stay in France then a short stay in Switzerland and finally a stay in the Italian Lakes for a few days. Looking forward to another visit to Monaco & Monte Carlo. Hoping to see some railways along the way too. A very nice 70th birthday trip I think.

Anyway that's a while off yet and lots to do before then.

Here is the B1.

post-150-0-99003200-1427394107.jpg

post-150-0-57514200-1427394227.jpg

post-150-0-53315400-1427394248.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9

Looks very nice.

The trip sounds good, we drove from Paris to Italy just before Christmas. Very nice it is too, I have yet to go through the alps apart from in winter.

What are the interesting locos you have coming up?

Hi Peter.  Yes we did the road trip from here to Diano Marina and back and the Italian Alps a couple years back. Absolutely stunning scenery. Really looking forward to the upcoming trip.

The locos are: (not in order of build)       9F.         Pilgrim Models Churchward Mogul, the kit covers many variants).         Meteor SR P 0-6-0T.         GWR 4-4-0 County Class.

LMS Patriot            Malcolm Mitchell 43xx.            LMS Princess Class  

For my own collection:      GWR Bulldog.      GWR Dukedog.        LMS Ex NSR 0-6-2T L Class. (One of my own Kenscale kits I recently found unstarted on ebay.

GWR 22xx Collet Goods.          

So all that should keep me quiet for a few weeks. :mosking:

• Like 7

Now it's on with a rather odd kit. The Meteor Models  SR Class P 0-6-T.  I say odd because it has very old fashioned method of frame spacers (I have not seen this type of frame spacers for a very long time in kits)  Also things like handrail knobs, nuts & bolts, brace shoes and brake rodding. No mention of brake rodding is given so unless you have access to photos of them, you are on your own.

It purports to be a simple loco to build. I am finding it a very basic kit by todays standards.  

There is one good point, the boiler and roof is rolled and shaped. I have yet to see if they are accurate.  The white metal casting are not bad. 

The chassis is very basic with solid coupling rods. A bit of delving into the scrap box should see me OK for some detailing.

Here is the chassis so far. 

post-150-0-71375400-1427568456.jpg

• Like 4

Started to body and quite surprised really.  It is much better than the chassis, being quite accurate and the pre formed rolled and shaped etches are almost spot on. Requiring the minimum of tweaking.

Onward and forward with it.

post-150-0-17720500-1427623452.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 10