Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Tony.  It's still available.  You will find it in metal forming section under drilling tables.   It's the 12" table plus the bending attachments listed. You get a load of clamps and bending bars of various diameters.

Ken

many thanks - I hadn't noticed it as a "drilling table".

Sounds like an idea for a christmas present!

Tony

Tender all boxed off, went together extremely well.

Now for the business end.  This part of the kit was designed in 2014.  So this should be an interesting build. Starting with the chassis in the same manner as the tender.  The two central axles are sprung in my usual fashion.  All going as well as the tender.

post-150-0-31215000-1417024434.jpg

Tender ready for priming.

post-150-0-12509600-1417024445.jpg

post-150-0-71187200-1417024457.jpg

Loco chassis under way.

• Like 11

Hi all.  It's coming along very nicely.   The dummy valve gear is a nice touch even if quite basic.

All is going together well.  The clearances are minimal but will work with no problems. The only issue was the wheels centre bosses fouling the coupling rods. I had to pack them out with washers.

The brake hangers and brake blocks are made up of seven parts for each one, so very fiddly and there's eight to assemble but look very nice.

Still a bit to do on the chassis though.

post-150-0-12349700-1417293494.jpg

post-150-0-83615300-1417293505.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9

Just about completed the chassis as far as I can until the body is completed.

The bogie is a very his and simple fold up job. 

The chassis will easily negotiate 6' radius.  The only modification (as suggested in the instructions) is the removal of the half etched area on the frames above the bogie wheels. This is to allow them to swing on anything less than prototype scale curves. (Not found on typical layouts of course.)

I also decided not to add the vacuum pump but have fitted the actuating bracket to the crosshead.  The pump cannot be seen with the body in place so not real point it drilling out the casting and fitting it in my opinion.

Now on with the body. for a couple of days before having to move to another project.

post-150-0-94319800-1417342739.jpg

post-150-0-52926400-1417342749.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 3

Will do Peter.  The first small problem is this bracket, It will not fit across the splashers.  Files were used to correct gap. No problem doing that.

Placing the body on the chassis brought the next problem.  Following the instructions in fitting the cylinder wrappers. i.e. start with the holes for the drain cocks lined up with the cylinder covers and work upwards, results in the recess for the snifters being for too high to allow the body to sit down correctly.

I decided to make the recesses deeper and add new flanges made up of solder.

Of course ned time I will start at the top and work down, drilling new holes for the drain cocks.

The cab was no problem to build at all.

Great care bending the front and rear footplate extensions goes without saying.  (These are critical bends.)  The only other mod I did was to add another thickness behind the buffer beam as it looked too thin compared to photographs of 4702. 

post-150-0-71975500-1417429216.jpg

post-150-0-96615600-1417429242.jpg

Snifter valves too high.

post-150-0-58440400-1417429264.jpg

New recesses cut and flange made of solder.

post-150-0-78768600-1417429294.jpg

All sitting pretty now.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

A little bit more done today. The trickiest part so far, get the firebox wrapper bent exactly to shape.  Annealing it and much bending and tweaking to get it right.

I much prefer the resin cast variety these days, they are fool proof but unfortunately much more expensive.

Another small issue arose when placing the body on the chassis at the end of the session. The sanding operating rod sat on top of the cross rod on the dummy valve gear.  Only way round that was to cut a gap in the cross rod. This should be hidden when the covers are fitted to the footplate. See second photo.

post-150-0-98071800-1417467062.jpg

post-150-0-53571400-1417467073.jpg

• Like 7

Hi all. Today is the last day on the 47xx for a few days whilst I get on with another project that is unavoidable.

All told, this is a nice kit despite some minor issues that are easily sorted. The main thing is to plan ahead and figure out the build sequence that is best suited to you.  I always look at how the manufacturer suggest the build and usually find a better way to do that suits me.

I like the kind of instructions that are in this kit, i.e. written and exploded diagrams.  It's the diagrams that I mostly follow, only referring to written if I'm not sure exactly where or how a part is meant to fit.

Enough waffling,  The boiler is ready rolled and fits well to the front and rear formers. You will have to shave a little from the era end of the seam as it will overlap if you fail to do that.

The formers fit inside etched grooves and also have etched centre marks. I start at the top mark and spot solder my way round equally a alternating from one side the other. Checking as I go to ensure all is absolutely square.  Finished of by soldering the seam

Do not forget to solder 8BA bolts facing out from the formers, easily forgotten and cannot be added later.

After making up the smokebox and mating together it was quickly noticed the front of the boiler was not vertical.  Very easily rectified by filing back the bottom half of the protruding flange so it's flush with the former. Leaving the top part alone you will end up with it correct. Photos show the result.

Add all the boiler & firebox bands, bolt it all together and when all is square solder it all together.

post-150-0-95445600-1417543806.jpg

Boiler soldered up. I use those ply squares to hold things whilst soldering, saves burned fingers.

post-150-0-89582800-1417543836.jpg

The boiler front needs filing to get it vertical.

post-150-0-04608500-1417543852.jpg

Quite a bit off vertical.

post-150-0-60309700-1417543875.jpg

All squared off now. The bottom of the boiler should be parallel to the footplate.

post-150-0-92907300-1417543894.jpg

A really good fit on the chassis with no juggling required.

Back soon.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

Out of interest, have you built the Finney version of this loco?

Not yet, Steve. If there are no buyers for his Martin's business, I doubt I ever will.

Edited by jazz

We've not heard owt yet, have we?

Yet I was assured it would sell...........and not just by Martin.

Worrying times, and now Pat Legg from CPL, which was her late Husbands business has announced she is to retire, how many more !!!

Martyn.

Strange...I spoke to her today, and she stressed that the business will NOT be run down like Martin Finney did, but will be sold as a fully stocked going concern.

Nevertheless, I shall stock up on diesel couplings and crankpins. I'm not sure if CPL still do the gauge faces as decals?

If someone were to draw out gauges using, say a technical pen, how difficult would it be to reduce them for printing?

And can anyone explain "laser plotting"? MMP include "laser plotted" dials in their kits, you can light them from behind....how difficult is that to do?

How's the 47xx coming along? I'm pretty sure you have built a scorpio 61XX large Prarie, do you by any chance know roughly where in this thread before I go trawling through.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve.  I have no idea where it would be, it's a case of trawling I'm afraid.  Regards, Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve.  Just got back yesterday from two weeks in Florida doing work on our daughters house and relaxing enjoying some sunshine too.

So it's now back to the 47xx and hoping to finish it by Christmas, fingers crossed.

• Like 3