Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Ken, I too love the Immingham, and I look forward to seeing the D16 progress, my very first loco build was a PDK 4mm version. Whose is this one?

Hi Rob. It's now sold by Gladiator.

Thanks for that Poggy1165. I bet if you had the practice I've had you could give me a run for my money. You should like the one just opened on the bench, LNER D16. I will be on and off with this build as I really want to get some work done on the layout. Before the next batch arrives in May.

I don't think it is just a matter of practice though is it? Some of us have years of that and still struggle.

When time is money it is surprising how the mind can become more organised and methodical, as long as you can turn off from all distractions and realise there is a dead line or pay day to aim for.

For most of us it is a leisure activity and is taken at a leisurely pace.

I like the bit about the cab doors were missing so you just had to scratch build them and hey presto there the were! It would take me weeks to notice they were missing and as for scratch building them ... that is the reason why so many kits remain incomplete.

I'm really looking forward to the D16 build also. I don't always post but I always keep an eye on your progress Ken, which is very quick :lol:.

ATB Mick

Hi Kenton. You are probably right. I have honed a very methodical way of building any model over the years.

Hi Rob. Yes it is a D16 and you are right, the kit is not on Geoffs website. I will enquire about that when we meet later next month to see what he wants building next.

The Whitelegg tank is now ready for my pal, John. I wish he would have a bit of weathering, it's a bit unreal seeing all his stock looking in ex-factory finish. Oh well, each to his own.

post-150-0-48945900-1303719411_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-33958400-1303719446_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-04666500-1303719473_thumb.jpg

Now on with the D16. Tender first. So far so good. The only fault so far is the brake rodding holes were a bit out, so redrilling cured that. As usual the centre axle has been sprung.

post-150-0-69393000-1303719386_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ooooohhh... D16...! yahoo_mini.gif

It'll be interesting to see how this kit works around the smokebox saddle... see if it's correct width or not..

Will it have the early or late valancing? There was one D16/3 at Stratford in '46 with the early valance that I'm desperate to build at some point... I really need to clear some engines off the workbench... sad.gif

JB.

Ooooohhh... D16...! yahoo_mini.gif

It'll be interesting to see how this kit works around the smokebox saddle... see if it's correct width or not..

JB.

Oh hecky thump, now I am nervous. Especially as the intro to kit says it is not designed as a scale model but as a 'working' model in 0 gauge. (Not come across an intro like that before) And the fact that such an illustrious modeller in the form of our JB is watching.

Anyway, to the build. As we succumbed to the beautiful weather we took a stroll along the prom, othwise the tender would have been completed today. Just the castings to add now.

I find that bridge across to the loco a weird set up, but then again it is an eastern creation. :rolleyes:

post-150-0-25865700-1303745732_thumb.jpg

BTW looks like it's not a Gladiator offering even though I got it from him.

And the fact that such an illustrious modeller in the form of our JB is watching.

Just pretend I'm not here... laugh.gif

I find that bridge across to the loco a weird set up, but then again it is an eastern creation. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with Eastern Region laugh.gif

I believe there should be a secondary fall plate underneath the main one on the tender too... Just to make doubly sure that no one fell through.. A few engines had them including J15's and the like I think..

JB.

Just pretend I'm not here... laugh.gif

Nothing wrong with Eastern Region laugh.gif

I believe there should be a secondary fall plate underneath the main one on the tender too... Just to make doubly sure that no one fell through.. A few engines had them including J15's and the like I think..

JB.

I know, just that I meant it's different than the good 'ole GWR & LMS that I love and very familiar with.

Thanks for the tip about the secondary fall plate. This does not appear on the one and only drawing I have. The photos I have seen are not at the correct angle to see this.

Do you happen to have a photo/sketch/drawing that shows how this arrangement works please. I am building this model purely to sell on and wish to make it a reasonably accururate model. Regards Ken

Got the tender boxed off ready for cleaning and priming. Now on with the chassis. (Tomorrow is an away day from the bench).

The chassis is very straight forward. It is designed so the front section is soldered to the body, the rear section will slot into the front half and will have just one fixing bolt at the rear. Looks like it will work OK. The split is just in front of the leading brakes where the spacers are. The motor will fit on the leading axle and the rear driver is sprung. the motor is the Slater's unit.

I will introduce side control to the bogie and depend on lead weight to keep it on the track. Balance cannot be decided until the last stage of construction.

Here we are so far. (Forgot to mention, she is going to be in the final build condition, dictated by the kit)

post-150-0-65293800-1303846661_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-12776600-1303846683_thumb.jpg

Hell, there's not much metal above the arches for the bogie wheels :O

I know, that's probably why that front part of the chassis is soldered to the bodywork. (In other similar models I have added strengthening strips when the chassis built all in one lenght)

After a day up on the Wirral visiting mother it was back to the WB today. A good day sorting out the problems with the kit. The Valences are 2mm short so had to add filler pieces. The boiler is also 2mm short so a in fill will have to be fabricated.

The running plate was quite tricky to get the twin double bends spot on. (It was all one piece do accuracy was critical.) The front half of the chassis is now soldered to the running plate, so that is all nice and firm.

Still it is going OK.

post-150-0-17656700-1304012898_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken, I've just checked my Yeadons, and yes there should be a secondary fall plate underneath the top one... Only a simple affair, a length of curved plate hinged from the loco lower/main footplate and resting onto the lower/main footplate of the tender...

Hope that helps...

JB.

Hi Ken, I've just checked my Yeadons, and yes there should be a secondary fall plate underneath the top one... Only a simple affair, a length of curved plate hinged from the loco lower/main footplate and resting onto the lower/main footplate of the tender...

Hope that helps...

JB.

Thanks JB, that helps. Ken

You're slowing down Ken... I wanna see this one !! laugh.gif

JB.

Haaa! I've been swanning around the Bavarian Alps for the past week. Very enjoyable too. Now I have to get my modelling head in gear.

I was in Munich and Garmisch a few years ago.. Love the place !

JB.

I agree, Germany is amazing. We stayed in Langenau, visiting Nuremburg (saw the birthplaces of the Nazi's and stood below the podium where where Hitler gave those ranting speeches, the SS barracks etc etc), Rothenburg, Trier, Ulm and Neuschwanstien Castle (probably the most enchanting and beautiful castle ever built. That's why Disney used it as inspiration for Sleeping Beauty').

Now to the sad bit, my mother was taken to A&E last night, very ill, and will be there for a time. So, We have a LOT of issues to sort now, so modelling will be erratic for a while I guess. I will keep in touch as and when. Ken