Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jazz

I wondered if you could help me I already have a set of 10 inch GW rolling bars although he does not produce longer ones as far as I know could you advise me where I may be able to purchase some longer ones ideally 17 inch rollers.

Regards,

Paul.

2 hours ago, Paul Williams said:

Hello Jazz

I wondered if you could help me I already have a set of 10 inch GW rolling bars although he does not produce longer ones as far as I know could you advise me where I may be able to purchase some longer ones ideally 17 inch rollers.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul.  I also only use the GW 10" rollers.  I have asked a couple of my colleagues and they have no idea where you can get bigger ones.  Theirs are very old ones now.

Hi Simond

Thank you for the lead to Metalsmiths website it says currently unavailable due to modifications although I will give Barry a ring Monday morning as you suggest to check what is happening as I have some rather long Southern region pull-push coach roofs to curve.

Regards,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul. Apologies for the delay. I've been away.  I have not built that kit but others I have built marketed by Slater's have been very good.  Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Ken

On 31/07/2023 at 13:34, Paul Williams said:

I am thinking of purchasing a Rising Star Southern A12 Jubilee 0-4-2 tender loco kit could you give me your thoughts on the accuracy and quality of their kits I believe this kit is marketed by Slaters now?

Roger Scanlon built one of these. Richard Lambert (Dikitriki) posted a photo of it on his Heyside thread on Western Thunder. Roger posts on WT.

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/heyside-7mm-l-y-late-50s-early-60s.552/post-79719

Dave

It's been a while since I posted any progress on the WB.  A two week holiday and a new kitchen has taken up my time.  During the kitchen installation and repainting the walls and ceiling after the electricians replaced the original ceiling light with LED spotlights I did manage a bit if time on the WB to complete the Gladiator Jubilee class.  Here is a photo with it ready to paint today.

(Now looking forward to the visit to Guildex.)

jubileereadytopaint.JPG.8a11ab58f4709223ecec29f09bc5ec0c.JPG

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, S.D.L. said:

Do you keep notes of the issues / errors on the kits you build for future reference or just go back to this blog and photos?

I do not keep notes of issues encountered.  I do remember issues I came across in the builds and tend to use the remedies in the builds of other kits.  I do not use the order of construction as found in build instructions and mostly just use the diagrams in the instruction sheets.

• Like 1

I have slowed right down with the builds until I meet Geoff for the next batch. This will be after Guldex.  This one is A DMR Products J17. A first for me of this brand. I do like the fact that all bends and rolling is pre done.  Some off the etched holes are way too large which does let the kit down.   I have done the tender and awaiting the loco to be completed before sorting out the drawer bar assembly. (It does need a little touch up on the beading the photo shows up.)

holdentender2.JPG.2c34d6b7afe26e936f2193a0294ab8d0.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9

The J17 body is very slowly underway.  Still trying to spin completion out until after Guildex.  Not going together very well needing lot of adjustments to get things to fit.

Patience is key there.

holdenJ17body3.JPG.46100860d8b75b95d4d60d44edf83e26.JPG

• Like 13

More on the body done.  There is still a fair amount of detailing to do on the cab and under the running plate.

Plus other bits and pieces to still add.

So, here she is so far

J17bodywellunderway.JPG.38f3e401b2e136804eec4f8893636d54.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Paul.  I have never had any problems David Andrews kits they go together very well.

I have very little experience of the DJB offerings. Personally I'm not a fan of the pewter castings.  They do go together OK though.

PS.  I got confused between DJB and DJH kits.  The DJB kits are just fine kits to build.

Edited by jazz

Hi again.  After a very enjoyable Guild event at Bingley Hall plus a couple of extra days spent around Stafford area, the DMR J17 is finally ready for delivery.  Just waiting to meet up next week for the next batch.

J17finished2.JPG.28d25bc57e56446764cebff29e78430f.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Starting a new batch of builds with this Chowbent Castings 2 cylinder Stanier 2-6-4.  So far, so good.  The chassis is assembling reasonably well.  (I hope the valve gear runs well, it's looking promising😏)

chowbent2-6-41.JPG.b4d01aa020efdb7d7281734983926518.JPG

• Like 12

On 19/09/2023 at 11:07, jazz said:

Starting a new batch of builds with this Chowbent Castings 2 cylinder Stanier 2-6-4.  So far, so good.  The chassis is assembling reasonably well.  (I hope the valve gear runs well, it's looking promising😏)

chowbent2-6-41.JPG.b4d01aa020efdb7d7281734983926518.JPG

Quite a rare beast now these Chowbent kits. I've heard good things about them so I keep an eye out for them coming up for sale. No luck yet!!!

JF