Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Just returned from a great trip to Kent.  Visiting Chatham Docks climbing all over a war ship, sqeezing through a submarine swinging thorough small hatches.   Another day on the Hythe, Dymchurch railway.  Another day hitting lucky by meeting up with the owner of the Col. Stephens railway museum at Tenderton station.  Being the only visitor as it was not a running day he took us my wife and I on a personal tour of the museum. All the others on the coach went off to the shops (not our thing). There was other places we visited with noting to do with transport.

Here are some photos.

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9

Now to carry on with the Agenoria Y5 0-4-0T which I had made a start on before shooting off to Kent.  I now have to sort out the unconventional brake gear trying to make sense of the unclear kit photo.

agenoriaY51.JPG.d32d808492eca0e8b3f349b7ffb82811.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a very busy time of late but in dribs and drabs I have got the next loco under way. This is a Javelin kit of the GWR Dukedog.  One of my favourite locos.

As usual with Javelin kits it's going together very well, the most difficult part being the tender side flares.  These require annealing to make it easier.

Looking a bit scruffy right now as it need a good cleanup.

dukedogtender1.JPG.8d406beee970cfa5861089600810b4c1.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

At last the Dukdog is now completed.  There has been far too many delays to get to the WB of late.  The computer has been playing up and spent four days trying to get it running right. 

dukedogfinished2.JPG.8ac5724f5a36a27c224ddc7e933f4eee.JPGdukedogfinnished1.JPG.349978b76e1ad021d2a04b4006d4d38c.JPG

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

At last got the PC sorted out and now working correctly again. So now onwards with a Gladiator Royal Scott class. As usual starting with the tender.  Sorting out the buffers tomorrow and starting on the loco itself.

I decided not to load the various stages as I have done so many it's all in builds of this class of tender.

lmsscotclasstender1.JPG.a230e97cbb38e229fa3c54f09f1626c2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The loco chassis is almost at the painting stage followed by adding the rest of the valve gear etc.  Going well at present. (The bogie front wheels need the correct ones added when I get them)

scottchassisalmostthere3.JPG.27cf8969b0053f1f924673ca477aa02f.JPG

• Like 10

Body is now underway. The cab requires the inside doing and rainstrips and vent.

The s/box/boiler and firebox might be assemble by end of tomorrow, assuming the long haired one has no other plans of course.

scottbody1.JPG.de613ad6684a9ab3753f57783289d612.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

Jazz,

As a (very) part time modeller, I’ve long enjoyed looking at your thread, great work and super pictures!

I’m finally getting a rebuild of a kit (Black 5, P4, rc) towards finishing. Seems fairly smooth running, though valve gear still to be done. 
I’m just not sure how to paint the chassis. I can drop the wheels out, but the cylinders eg are soldered in. Do you use a brush to get round them, or hang the whole thing and turn it round? Also, how do you finish wheels, motion etc.? I expect you have someone who does painting ,lining, weathering etc?

Photo attached of my original build, no paint on chassis.

Any hints much appreciated!

Steve

DSCF0840.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks Steve.  The Black 5 looks very nice. Regarding painting the chassis on my builds (I only prime the models and then just paint the chassis black for Geoff. He has his own painter for the bodies)

I do completely paint all models for my own collection though.

Back to the chassis. I always spray paint them. The wheels are removed first and the are also spray painted.   The valve gear is masked with tape and masking paint.  They also are removed where possible complete with the cylinders.  When reassembled all the remaining valve gear is added and then out comes the paint brushes to touch in where needed.

The Scott chassis is how far I get before cleaning and painting of it starts.  Hope this all helps.

Now for the Scott loco.   I got the s/box, boiler and firebox assembled. Now for all the detailing.

scottlocobody2.JPG.221b20a56da80af61bace2ed87d3938e.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Jazz, I’ll try and set the motion up with the cylinders unsoldered so I can get them out for painting.

At least it’s a Black 5, there’s a list of unlined ones in the book, thank goodness.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Rebuilt Royal Scott is now finished. The usual Gladiator kit that goes together very well.

Now for a week away from the WB.  We are preparing the kitchen for the new one.  Amazing how much you have in a kitchen until you come to move everything out.

Anyway here is the Scott.

royalscottfinished.JPG.087b87de5eee3f88ac2f1d8a622cb039.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

apologies Jeff.  We have spent a week in Newcastle and surrounding places of interest.  Pleased David answered your query about the smoke deflectors.

Now it's onwards with another Jubilee class again a Gladiator kit.  That will be a bit slow as the Wren kitchen arrives on Thursday then installation a few days later.

Edited by jazz
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jazz said:

apologies Jeff.  We have spent a week in Newcastle and surrounding places of interest.  Pleased David answered your query about the smoke deflectors.

Now it's onwards with another Jubilee class again a Gladiator kit.  That will be a bit slow as the Wren kitchen arrives on Thursday then installation a few days later.

Best of luck.

7 hours ago, JeffP said:

Best of luck.

Thanks Jeff. Wren are not doing the actual installation , we have our own excellent installers doing it. They are very meticulous with their workmanship.

59 minutes ago, micklner said:

You hopefully have been lucky.

My son has a Wren kitchen very poor quality e.g worktops different shades, etc etc. It was fitted by their fitters who were clueless.

That's one reason I'm not using their installers.  These guys I'm using refuse to accept faulty parts. I have seen their work and had even the slightest fault change immediately.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The kitchen is now installed and all back to normal after finding new places for everything.  My tiler is coming on Tuesday to install the tile and grouting on Wednesday.

We are delighted with it, everything is perfect and would certainly have them again should we ever move house. (That's unlikey we will move though)

Anyway, I have just completed the Jubilee chassis. (It was all an odd half here and there whilst the installers were here.)   The chassis was, as ever with Gladiator, no problems in assembly.

jubileenewzealandchassis2.JPG.f33cd2f1e4d1a9a36539ece166198ba6.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7