Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Here we go on another headscratcher. This time a Mercian Caledonian 4-6-0, McIntosh 903 name of Cardean. (An ex Sanspareil with an admitted limited amount of reworking.) 

Looking at the axle boxes, somehow they have to fit on the bogies.  I have already had to do some alterations on the actual bogies to get this far.

Caledonian4-6-0tender1.JPG.72be6327b66967cfdfa1faaa9bfb5191.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

image.png.dca78be8fb34362ad7ae1968965942d7.pngThis picture from the www shows a live steamer three and a half inch gauge. Looks like the axleboxes and compensating beams and spring arrangement is all fixed to the bogie with very limited clearances for going around a curve. How does it work? 3 1/2 inch gauge Caledonian Railway "Dunalastair" - Stock code 8336 (stationroadsteam.com)  Cheers, Ian in Blackpool

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Like 1

Hi Ian.  That photo does like like you said.  Thing is the kit instructions say the compensating beams are attached to the tender frames.   The bogies only have the axle boxes attached.  There was virtually no swing for the bogies. So I made the bogies a little narrower to allow enough swing to comfortable traverse a Peco cross over.  I think I have the axle box problem figured. That will be the last items to fit during the painting stage.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

After a short break it's back to the Cardean loco.  Not been going to well on the loco body so far. Making clearances for the large driving wheels was the problem. The instructions were not wrong when saying a lot of chopping away of the boiler and splashers were needed.

cardean body 3.JPG

• Like 11

Cracking on  bit with the Cardean loco.  What I'm finding a bit odd with this particular prototype is there are no photos of in service with no lamp irons on the footplate, just the one in front of the chimney. Also no vac pipes on the front.

cardeanwellunderway1.JPG.674069e688d10ef52479f76178528530.JPG

cardeanwellunderway2.JPG.0bf79d5024dc825d82ac6098cf7b093d.JPG

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jazz,

The Caledonian used route indicators (two short metal blades mounted on the smoke box).

There are various diagrams in the published literature but I can't see a link online.

https://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1509&p=10148&hilit=indicators#p10148

If you can access a copy of Caledonian Railway Locomotives  - The Classic Years, there is a photo on Page 188 of 904 outside Carlisle with indicators showing it will heading to Perth.

Other images here:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/vehicledetails/3143119/4_6_0_cardean_class_cr_

CR 903 Class

https://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/famous-expresses3.html

Edited by Argos
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Depends on the date you are building the model to Jazz. 

Originally (1906) it would have just the smokebox lamp iron and I think just an air front pipe to the rhs of the coupling. The lower lamp irons seem to have been added a bit later. 

They were rebuilt 1911/12 with superheaters. The cab sides were altered and I think the vac brake may date from then.

AB Macleod notes that "905 was fitted by Pickersgill with two large pop valves in place of the original four columns", a bit later than the superheating.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little change here building the Roxey Moulding kit for the LBSCR horsebox.  No brake gear provided except for the brake hangers and shoes.

horseboxbody1.JPG.fcbe6a2a63e79a6b1246c3e5fa0147e7.JPG

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Horseboxpainted2.JPG.7fa5c0b912ef8e477ab6c6866af87bc4.JPG

The horsebox is now ready for Geoff. All the very flimsy hinges etc were a bit of  challenge. Not to mention all the handrails to be made from wire  rod.  (Getting them to be identical was the fiddly part)

Edited by jazz
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Another van, this is the Ragstone Models bullion van.  Not very good instructions provided on the one regarding the braking system.  So I improvised on them.

bullionvan1.JPG.fc0359f24f77f7d770274ffe9233fe65.JPG

• Like 8

Got the bullion van ready for delivery now.  Next up is a David Andrews Royal Scott.  That should be a doddle as I've build quite a few of those under the Gladiator brand.

bullionvan2.JPG.458389c060012526c90c72fb3326bdc0.JPG

bullionvan3.JPG.c41ff3232a06a0f7a2416e7bc72d6db4.JPG

• Like 11

On 08/01/2024 at 16:25, jazz said:

Another van, this is the Ragstone Models bullion van.  Not very good instructions provided on the one regarding the braking system.  So I improvised on them.

Did you download the latest instructions from the Ragstone website? They appear to have a pretty good explanation of how the brake gear goes together.

http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/uploads/4/8/6/4/48647195/ck20_-_lbsc_bullion.pdf

Dave

1 hour ago, daifly said:

Did you download the latest instructions from the Ragstone website? They appear to have a pretty good explanation of how the brake gear goes together.

http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/uploads/4/8/6/4/48647195/ck20_-_lbsc_bullion.pdf

Dave

Thanks, I have downloaded those instructions, they make sense where the original ones didn't.

The Royal Scott tender is ready for cleaning and priming.  No issues with this assembly.  I enjoyed this build after a few dodgy ones.

So it's now go ahead with the actual loco build.

scotttender1.JPG.80cce6744d9c398045918b9f07df5136.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Having been away from the WB for a while here is the Royal Scott "Jenny Lind" chassis.  I'm going to start the body now before stripping the chassis down in preparation of painting and completing it. I have to decide the best way to attach the air pump to the crosshead and slide bar though. The slide bar being the trickiest job.

Amazing how grubby the wheels become when left on the bench for a few days.

scottlocochassis1.JPG.6b34d99404294f1ea245311962b987a3.JPG

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

At last I have the Royal Scott ready for delivery.   It's been a bit of a slow build with a few other things going on around the house, but that's almost done now.

I attached a hidden support bracket to the air pump which looked a bit iffy under the slide bar.

(I think I will have to adjust the s/box lamp iron.)😕

andrewsroyalscottready1.JPG.dbd043d2b097226a10c4dc4938a10676.JPG

andrewsfinishedroyalscott2.JPG.22c652e2e5a55d97f383430befed5825.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1