Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Tony.  Thanks for the heads up. Although sounds par for the course with this kit.

The trickiest parts have now been done.  I have to clean up the solder along the edges of the roof though.

The rest of the tender should be fairly straight forward.

post-150-0-42368900-1411753119.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 3

Detailing is now well under way. Should be boxed off tomorrow .    The tender has not been that bad to build, the business end of the loco may be a different story.  Time will tell.   The only real issue was the coal shut, but that is not uncommon on many kits to get one that fits perfectly without fair amount of fettling.

The tender cab was also a bit of a pain to get it all to fit. I had to do a bit of chopping and filing on that. Got there in the end.

post-150-0-05042800-1411847179.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

Oh dear, what can I say. This is an awful kit.  The faults are many.  To start with the frames are not of equal length . The coupling rods do not match the axle holes.  The coupling rod bush holes are enormous and will require reducing by a considerable amount to accept the Slater's wheels.

The front cylinder etch is not the same size as the rear etch. To cap all that the frame spacers are of differing widths and (excluding the front ones, of course. As the frames are wider in from the cylinders forward.) The front frame spears were too wide, nowhere near matching the front footplate etch.

I have remedied all that and now looking at getting the slide bar castings to fit. That problem also meant altering the slots in the cylinder front etches.

Looks like this will be a long build.

post-150-0-60081400-1412106813.jpg

Edited by jazz

I remember when I had an unbuilt one Ken - a friend phoned up:-( in a Yorkshire accent ) 'Have you got one of those Acme Ivatts?'. 'Yes' I replied...  'Well chuck it in't bin, its rubbish!'. My friend has made two! I got shot of mine......

Cheers

Tony

Edited by dibateg

Not fit for purpose in my opinion, I thought most of the El- Crapo  type kits had disappeared.

It is not a class of loco I would choose but for the unwary first time kit builder it would be enough to put him off for life.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, what can I say. This is an awful kit.  The faults are many.  To start with the frames are not of equal length . The coupling rods do not match the axle holes.  The coupling rod bush holes are enormous and will require reducing by a considerable amount to accept the Slater's wheels.

The front cylinder etch is not the same size as the rear etch. To cap all that the frame spacers are of differing widths and (excluding the front ones, of course. As the frames are wider in from the cylinders forward.) The front frame spears were too wide, nowhere near matching the front footplate etch.

I have remedied all that and now looking at getting the slide bar castings to fit. That problem also meant altering the slots in the cylinder front etches.

Looks like this will be a long build.

attachicon.gifIMG_2369.jpg

But other than that it's OK? ;-p

I have as much as I can on the chassis until the body now needs to be started. This is to enable the positioning of detail parts such as steam pipes, lubricators, footplate supports etc., etc.

It has been a long haul to get the chassis to run without tight spots due to the already mentioned inaccuracies.  A lot of adjustments to the axle and coupling rods was in order.

All in all, a lot of colourful cussing and new inventive swearing under the breath.

Result is now a free running chassis.

Now onwards with the body.

post-150-0-55897700-1412279284.jpg

• Like 8

Oh dear, what can I say. This is an awful kit.  The faults are many....

Ah, a typical day with an Acme kit. The last one I had I felt like taking it up the local clay pigeon shooting range, loading it into a trap and shouting 'Pull!'

We definitely need a 'Heroic' button added to the forum software for anyone completing one ;)

I think with ACME kits it all depends on there parentage. I have done a few and they were not to bad I had worse. I think this one is known to be a nightmare. The 2MT was not to bad at all, only my changes complicated it.

The modified Hall I did although a rebuild was very nice to reassemble.

Hi Adrian. A glutton for punishment award?

Right on Peter. This is an ex College Models kit. I too, have built some OK Acme models.

Edited by jazz

Hi Adrian. A glutton for punishment award?

Right on Peter. This is an ex College Models kit. I too, have built some OK Acme models.

That's the award Ken. I'll get Andy on to Warner's - I'm sure they'll sponsor it.

Chris (2manySpams) might be interested to know that Mike Williams was the owner and designer of College Models kits, and of course he's now the owner of Agenoria and designed Chris' 1366 kit... circles within circles....

• RMweb Gold

That's the award Ken. I'll get Andy on to Warner's - I'm sure they'll sponsor it.

Chris (2manySpams) might be interested to know that Mike Williams was the owner and designer of College Models kits, and of course he's now the owner of Agenoria and designed Chris' 1366 kit... circles within circles....

I'll let you tell Chris.There's an award I'm sure he'd like to give him.... 

• RMweb Premium

Explains a lot!

I'll let you tell Chris.There's an award I'm sure he'd like to give him....

Indeed.

I have had the pleasure of constructing some of Mike's kits he has produced since taking the helm of Agenoria. I found them to to be OK. (1366 ws not one of them)

I built this model of Agenoria as soon as he launched it.  I am quite pleased with the model, although I did not make it a working model as I wanted a display model only. I did start off intending it to be a working but after snapping two drill bits trying to drill to the cylinders, gave up on that idea. The pillar drill and small drills were too much I guess. (Maybe a lathe might have done better had I owned one.)

Anyway here she is on the widow ledge.

post-150-0-53881500-1412366253.jpg

Noe to the Ivatt.  Slow progress sees the cab/firebox/boiler/smokebox almost ready. I have to fettle the firebox front casting to sit between the frames . That will then allow the firebox sides to fit nicely just over the outside of the said frames.

The pony truck was very fiddly to construct but now look the part after a couple of alterations. i.e the length of the truck arms were 7mm too long and the front and rear spacers were too wide (or the centre spacer too narrow depending how you looked at it)

Get the basic body solder together tomorrow and then the lengthy home run can start.

post-150-0-98922600-1412366798.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 2

I feel the important aspects of the build in now completed. Meaning the rest is now detailing, yes, there is a LOT of that to do.

It took a lot of readjusting to get it all to sit together correctly, or as close as I could it to. The white metal steam pipe on the buffer beam was just too fragile to be of use. It snapped twice with just the smallest nudge. So I'm scratch building one using wire, tubing and coil expansion spring.

The smoke box front casting was too small, so I soldered a sleeve insert and then finished it of after soldering the casting in place with 20thou wire  around the edge and careful filing to blend it all in.

post-150-0-72182400-1412452312.jpg

• Like 4