Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi all. On with the David Andrews SR  U Class.  A delight so far. A good days work today has the tender almost build.  Very nice to build.

The chassis is very simple but strong and effect very much looking the part when under the body.

post-150-0-67248800-1407520055.jpg

post-150-0-56558500-1407520074.jpg

• Like 9

Really chuffed with todays progress on the chassis.  All going very well.  Everything fitting spot on with no tweaking. The only exception was a small modification to the centre spring hanger to clear the piano wire springing.

A few brake gear pull rods to laminate there.

post-150-0-18221900-1407684883.jpg

P.S.  I know the centre brake is upside-down It is not yet fixed in place :mosking:

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

Had to break off for a couple of days, so it's onwards again. Yesterday afternoon was taken up with getting the cylinders/castings/rods sorted out to run smoothly.  There is very little clearance for the leading coupling rod bushes to clear the slide bars.  I reversed the bush and soldered the crank pin to it. This, coupled with no side plat to the wheels gives just enough clearance.

post-150-0-32468900-1408003369.jpg

• Like 9

The body is now well under way.  Everything fitting together very nicely.

The firebox wrapper needed to be annealed then is was very easy to bend to the correct shape.  Provided the top ornery are spot on the rest just followed with no problem using steel bending bars.

post-150-0-57724500-1408131604.jpg

• Like 7

Almost there now. Just added extra pipework over what was shown in the instructions.

All else went very well according to the instructions.  Just the cab interior to tackle next along with buffers and couplings.

post-150-0-72700000-1408380429.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Steve. I will be starting on a JLTRT GWR 72xx tank.  But I have another project before I start on that.  Then off to Telfords bash.

I still build 7mm locos for myself, although I do not have a 7mm layout at present. The German HO is where the 7mm used to be i.e. the garage.  Although the garage would be large enough for both, the in-house planning officer says NO.

I still keep looking at the garden but on a three tier slope of about 12' it would be very difficult. Unless you want a very high viaduct for most of the line.

• Like 1

Just completed final assembly. Just some painting to do around the motion.

Not a bad build to do at all.

The smoke deflectors are temporarily attached with wire through the running plate and small hooks over the handrails. A permanent fix can be done after painting.

post-150-0-15317700-1408643197.jpg

post-150-0-88104600-1408643216.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a fantastic week in London.   I will now have to get the modelling head in gear again.

I will be at Guildex on Sunday, please look out for me wearing the RMWEB badge with Jazz on it.  It would be great to meet y'all on the forum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. What a busy time since Telford's Guildex.  Spent a week in London the off to Paris for week, all very enjoyable too.  Just spent the rest of the time tackling the JLTRT GWR 2-8-2 72xx tank.

A lot of time it took too.  Most went together extremely well, other areas took some alterations, especially to get it through the Peco points.

Loved the resin smokebox/boiler/firebox.  Very well cast and a perfect fit.

A few photos of the build. There should have been more but playing with the camera doing some stitching photos and other tricks, I accidentally deleted the wrong ones. :boast:

post-150-0-31236000-1411553317.jpg

One of the problems showing no swing for the trailing axle.

post-150-0-22635300-1411553283.jpg

Cured by making an exaggerated taper the frames.

The final results

post-150-0-83722700-1411553379.jpg

post-150-0-06181700-1411553406.jpg

Now onto the next build, An Acme Ivatt 2-6-0 Mucky Duck. That should be a head scratcher what I've been told.

• Like 7

You did a nice job on the Ivatt class 2 Peter.

I stared on the tender on the Acme Ivatt Class 4 today.   Going fairly well so far but not a perfect for the etchings to go together without some fettling. Time was spent on getting all those rivets punched out in straight lines, makes me kind of dizzy does that. (Makes things so much easier when they are etched on.)

Todays work has the tender chassis almost completed and a start on the tender body. This is to have the tablet catchers modifications added just to complicate things a little more.

That and the fact it has tapered buffers in the kit, they will need to be changed for the correct parallel type.

post-150-0-49862900-1411666547.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7