Catering and the Law at Model Railway shows

russianlayout

• RMweb Premium

Who says they are?

They see a poster for what appears to be a commercial event where refreshments are being served from a group who they have no record of having the relevant hygiene certification from. At that point they contact the group with the regs.

They don't initially know the group fits an exemption, that would come up after a bit of discussion. It would be interesting to know if the discussion happened before the OP posted.

In the meantime the Internet goes into a "H&S gone mad" and "Council gone heavy handed" froth.

As others have said, the regs exist for a reason. If you take this approach and sit down with the inspector and ask for help and guidance you'll probably find them very reasonable. I bet talking to the local model railway group is nicer than dealing with a local takeaway who don't see why they need to bother cleaning more then once a year!

The same approach works re Child Protection as well.  When we started to get unaccompanied young people at our club after a gap of several years.  I rang the local Child protection team who were very helpful and gave us some very practical advice that has been easy to follow.  They also thanked us for being pro-active.  Communication is a wonderful thing.  What is held to be a minefield by some turned out to be not onerous at all.

Jamie

Who says they are?

The rest of the first posting, which goes on to list a large number of statements of what is permitted and forbidden.  That list is overstating the regulations.  I provided links to the regulations. 

They see a poster for what appears to be a commercial event where refreshments are being served from a group who they have no record of having the relevant hygiene certification from. At that point they contact the group with the regs.

They don't initially know the group fits an exemption, that would come up after a bit of discussion. It would be interesting to know if the discussion happened before the OP posted.

In the meantime the Internet goes into a "H&S gone mad" and "Council gone heavy handed" froth.

As others have said, the regs exist for a reason. If you take this approach and sit down with the inspector and ask for help and guidance you'll probably find them very reasonable. I bet talking to the local model railway group is nicer than dealing with a local takeaway who don't see why they need to bother cleaning more then once a year!

I completely agree about talking in a constructive manner with the local authority officials, and contacting them in advance usually helps. Communication with officials usually works well, and sensible & legal processes are usually the end result.

- Nigel

• Administrators

The rest of the first posting, which goes on to list a large number of statements of what is permitted and forbidden.  That list is overstating the regulations.  I provided links to the regulations. 

I completely agree about talking in a constructive manner with the local authority officials, and contacting them in advance usually helps. Communication with officials usually works well, and sensible & legal processes are usually the end result.

- Nigel

The point I was making was the OP appears to be the initial contact from the authorities. I'd expect the full rule book at this stage. As I said, they probably didn't know if any exeptions applied and I wouldn't expect them to aply any until they were. It's unfair to expect any official to understand the exact position from a single poster, but it's enough to spur them into action.

What we don't know is if any discussions were held and what the result was. My guess is that the OP went up before any discussions.

What every year; that's making hygiene a bit of a fetish isn't it?

I do find the 1 to 5 hygiene rating far more useful than waiting till they get prosecuted. I may know that the takeaway round the corner has had cockroaches but I wouldn't know that in a strange town and the rating allows me to make my own risk assessment (which is normally to go elsewhere if it's less than four)

I noticed a few weeks ago that the American Diner near me has closed down. I had a closer look  and noticed that their hygiene rating had been three though not for how long. So, even if it had remained open I wouldn;t have gone there (it was never that good anyway) and I'd guess enough other potential patients diners made the same decision.

• RMweb Gold

What every year; that's making hygiene a bit of a fetish isn't it?

I do find the 1 to 5 hygiene rating far more useful than waiting till they get prosecuted. I may know that the takeaway round the corner has had cockroaches but I wouldn't know that in a strange town and the rating allows me to make my own risk assessment (which is normally to go elsewhere if it's less than four) I noticed a few weeks ago that the American Diner near me has closed down. I had a closer look  and noticed that their hygiene rating had been three though not for how long.  

A local gastro pub type place (the former police station) had a low score and the iInspectors gave them advice on not only what needed to be put right but the best way to do it.  Subsequently, having allowed time for things to be improved, the Inspectotrs made a second visit - and promptly closed the place as not only had there been no improvement but it had got even worse, more like a gastroenteritis pub complete with mouldy food in the fridges.

Our local authority operates a 'scores on the doors' scheme for all catering establishments with a team going round checking premises and their general safety and hygiene standards and giving a mark out of 5 which is publicised and is also exhibited at the premises...

The catering facilities at our former venue (owned by the council) were inspected by the council. They scored one. The problem was then solved. It closed.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

We used the WI for our catering because they have members with registered kitchens. The prices are still reasonable and two 'club' organisations get the benefit :)

Most of the H&S scaremongering is lazy journalism that gets repeated as fact, as noted above its easy to ask the local council. There's a bit of a difference between a church fete / local small show and a reasonable club size model show in many cases so worth checking if your show fits in to the regs Mike mentioned by asking the council.

Overall the regs are there to provide a framework to provide safe food. If you follow basic hygiene well then it's very low risk but if you want to be covered by insurance they need to be factored in to the cost. It's always a minority who think they can get away with sloppy safety that cause the big fuss but it's also for those whose enthusiasm for the fun side of a show would make a mistake through not knowing safe storage temperatures etc for eggs and meat.

Think of the publicity locally and in forums if these regs hadn't made people think about food safety enough and there was a bout of food poisoning.

They aren't difficult to follow and if you can use outside caterers at the venue consider another group like the WI or even a catering college where the money will go to their activities or education over one persons pocket ;)

We use "York Against Cancer" for our catering and share the tombola profits with them. It relieves us of considerable stress and, like PAulRhb, two societies benefit. It also means we get good local publicity and the Lord/Lady Mayor is happy to open the show. Everyone wins, including our life partners whom aren't expected to become caterers for a weekend.

Paul

Archived