RMweb

Freemo Extravagnaza 2016

• RMweb Gold

OR

NSTrain.jpg

enjoyed Saturday and putting names to faces, still not sure if it's " my cupa tea" time will tell

Ray

The advantage is you can just turn up for the social side and join a crew if you want, you don't have to commit a module. Ian didn't crew a train all weekend but just helped Neil bring his modules and set up and break it down.

If we had too many without a module it might cause a problem but I always had a spare stack of trains to assign to anyone who wanted them on the traffic desk. Most want a break after an hour running s train so have a brew and chat and run one later. We seemed to have 4-6 trains moving most of the time and I counted eight running at one stage.

Dear Ray,

or....

norfolk-southern-extension-cord-line-jos

(no, that's not 2x shorty trains running "elephant style", google "extension cord boxcar Norfolk Southern")

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I hadn't realised GP38s were available with a high short hood, thought that kind of thing went out longer ago than that.

I hadn't realised GP38s were available with a high short hood, thought that kind of thing went out longer ago than that.

Southern and N&W continued to order their locomotives with high short hoods long after everyone else.  I believe the final HSH locomotives ordered were the Southern 7000 series GP50's.  I still encounter HSH GP38-2s on a regular basis here in New Haven, Indiana at the NS East Wayne Yard.

Jason C

Indiana

Do you know why they continued to order them like that? The benefit of a HSH isn't immediately apparent, unlike the improved visibility of a LSH.

I always preferred the Canadian style wide short hoods...

The High short hood was a historic thing , as was setting them up to run long hood leading. Athearn Genesis make a cracking HSH GP38-2 in NS colours, mine came to the meet but never got a run out.

Do you know why they continued to order them like that? The benefit of a HSH isn't immediately apparent, unlike the improved visibility of a LSH.

I always preferred the Canadian style wide short hoods...

Much as Superned says above; they not only ordered them with high short hoods, AFAIK they also ran them long-hood forwards (with the little "F" on the frames denoting such!) as well - again AFAIK, a legacy of the transition Era, so Steam Engineers would feel more 'at home' in the cab with the long hood basically in the same place a boiler would be.

Quite why Engineers elsewhere could manage to get used to short hoods :boast:  & the N.S. predecessors felt their Engineers wouldn't, I've not found out!!  :scratchhead:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Quite why Engineers elsewhere could manage to get used to short hoods :boast:  & the N.S. predecessors felt their Engineers wouldn't, I've not found out!!  :scratchhead:  :jester:

I heard it was argued it was to do with better crash protection with the long hood forward and a high nose also meant that the short end offered better protection from stuff kicked up over the nose if running 'backwards'.

Great weekend, thanks to all the people who made it happen and kept it running smoothly too.  Mostly spent the weekend on Yard work, although took out a train on Sunday afternoon and had lots of downtime too, just watching, chatting and taking pictures. Still not put that many names to faces really. Maybe I'll make bigger badges next year and we can write our names on them! (kidding)...

A couple of videos posted ..

Pics and run-bys etc... https://youtu.be/BzLdsZMJdZQ

Cabrides... https://youtu.be/yyRVoCKNrvQ

• Like 1