Scale2 wheel profile attempt

Hello,

A friend has had a go at turning up a test wheel to see if it is possible to [reasonably] work to 2 mm exact scale dimensions. 

He wasn't keen on the idea and felt that this [see photo] was his best shot at a 9 mm diameter test wheel. The flange width is too wide on this attempt, but he feels that if a 2 mm Scale Association wheel was used, it might be easier in the flange width department to skim some off the back of the tyre.

Just thinking aloud really - has anyone any thoughts please, but seriously, I'm not proposing this as another standard, it's purely for my own enjoyment / ambition

I'm sure that given a bit of wheel compensation, this exact scale 2 mm modelling will probably work, albeit at scale speeds.

Well, I'm an optomist and will keep trying - must now join the impressive 2 mm Scale Association. What is a PDF, I wonder ?

Thanks for looking,

Keith.

Sorry," the file is too big to upload" apparently - any ideas how to make it smaller, as being computer hopeless, I haven't a clue !

Would photographing the wheel on a white background help, or I've enlarged the wheel too much in the photograph ?

• RMweb Premium

I wish you the best of luck with this.

One thing you will have to bear in mind, is that you will have to clean you rolling stock wheels frequently. In past discussions* on this subject, it was generally agreed that the build up of 'crud' on the wheels would, over time, equal the depth of the flanges. Your track will also need to be 'billiard table' flat.

'Sorry for being such a pessimist. 

*Amongst 2mm Scale Association members

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your interest - please tell me which Forum, as I'm relatively new to all this, although old in the tooth !

RMweb Modelling Zone Special Interests 2mm Finescale

You can ask the moderators to have it moved there, if you want.

• RMweb Premium

PDF = product development fund (i.e. donation to help the Association to produce new products).

I can't help but think that true to scale wheel sets will also require true to scale flange ways on crossings, not to mention some form of springing. A nice engineering challenge!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

If you saw "Magazine in PDF" on the web site it means Portable Document Format. You will need to download the free reader software if you do not already have it. The link is only avalable to members though.

Thank you for all the interest and I've now sent an application to join the 2 mm Scale Association.

I was a member probably fifty plus years ago, so I'm vaguely familiar, but during the intervening years I've wandered into all sorts of scales / gauges up to 7 1/4" gauge.

This one is probably the most demanding.

It is my intention to try and model track dimensions including clearances and wheels exactly to 2 mm scale, or as near as realistically as possible. Some basic form of springing will be used, I imagine.

Can anyone recommend a suitable etched 2 mm scale wagon chassis please, preferably with some form of springing, which I could use as an initial test-bed ?

Thank you,

Keith

Hello keidal,

Yes go for it. The wheel turned by your friend looks just fine to me. And yes go for exact scale flangeways on you pointwork and just keep skimming the backs of the wheels so they pass through. Don't worry too much about crud build up etc - its not too much of a chore to keep wheels clean. Some of my best friends and acquainteses are 2mm finescale modellers but be aware that 2mm finescale is nowhere near protoscale 2mm. That it is workable is beyond doubt, I have built two successful proto Z layouts in recent years.

More info if you would like it, regards, Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Hello keidal,

Yes go for it. The wheel turned by your friend looks just fine to me. And yes go for exact scale flangeways on you pointwork and just keep skimming the backs of the wheels so they pass through. Don't worry too much about crud build up etc - its not too much of a chore to keep wheels clean. Some of my best friends and acquainteses are 2mm finescale modellers but be aware that 2mm finescale is nowhere near protoscale 2mm. That it is workable is beyond doubt, I have built two successful proto Z layouts in recent years.

Pay attention now children, the Master is here.

Hello keidal,

I can't even begin to imagine the fiddle factor involved in that! 

• RMweb Gold

I can't even begin to imagine the fiddle factor involved in that!

It's ok, the Baron doesn't believe in fiddle yards:-)

I'm more than happy with standard 2FS but as Brian says it's a long way from proto 2mm, more a sort of course EM equivalent. Its the fact that standard N is so crude that makes it look fine. I think you should go for it, I'm fascinated to see the results - Brian's ProtoZ ZOB is a joy, it'll be at Taunton this coming weekend.

Jerry

Its the fact that standard N is so crude that makes it look fine.

Standard N gauge, of course, isn't a defined wheel standard. About the only thing you can be sure of is that the track gauge is 9mm.

The wheels, certainly in the past, were of the manufacturers own standards and varied considerably - and yes, they did tend to look crude. However, with the advent of lower profile rail (such as Peco code 55) and finer N track-work (like British Finescale's new kit track), proper N wheels standards have started to be adopted, such as NMRA, and are pretty much now commonplace on the main manufacturers N gauge output. These are considerably finer (in profile, flange depth and tread width) and bear no relation to the older 'pizza cutter road rollers' - which, of course, look crude compared with 2mmFS. The newer finer N standards looks a lot finer and less crude although, of course, not to the extent of 2mmFS.

G.

Archived