East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

From another Rail forum:

The only circumstance in which diverted trains would need to use the diveunder would be a block at the flat junction at Werrington itself, since that would entail blocking the ECML and the flat route to Lincoln. As it happens, such circumstances are planned for the weekends of 12th/13th and 19th/20th November 2022 according to the Engineering Access Statement (that's weeks 33 and 34 for those who think in weeks!). This is to permit renewal of the S&C at Werrington Junction; the notes explicitly state:

"TRAINS TO TRAVEL FROM MARHOLME JN TO GLINTON JN VIA THE DIVE UNDER, THEN DIVERTED VIA GNGE BETWEEN GLINTON JN JN AND DONCASTER. NO ACCESS TO THE GNGE VIA WERRINGTON JN"

Those weekends could therefore be the first non-charter passenger trains over the diveunder.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thursday 25th November

Views from the Lincoln Road bridge. Apologies for poor quality of some taken on mobile phone at x20 and x30

New fence damaged already! Some activity at the end of Glinton Junction:

20211125_130539.jpg

20211125_130744.jpg

20211125_130753.jpg

20211125_130814.jpg

20211125_130943.jpg

20211125_130946.jpg

20211125_130957.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 5

Views from Hurn Road

The gate for the farmer to enter his field when he gets it back:

20211125_123248.jpg

The new gate being installed on the service road:

20211125_123437.jpg

20211125_123452.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Crun said:

Thursday 25th November

Views from the Lincoln Road bridge. New fence damaged already! Some activity at the end of Glinton Junction:

20211125_130744.jpg

Dive under not in use yet from this view.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Trackside ECML said:

Is it my eyes , or are the pictures way out of focus

Apologies. I used my mobile phone at x20 and x30 for the Glinton Junction shots which makes the images poorer in quality. 

Edited by Crun

15 hours ago, Crun said:

From another Rail forum:

The only circumstance in which diverted trains would need to use the diveunder would be a block at the flat junction at Werrington itself, since that would entail blocking the ECML and the flat route to Lincoln. As it happens, such circumstances are planned for the weekends of 12th/13th and 19th/20th November 2022 according to the Engineering Access Statement (that's weeks 33 and 34 for those who think in weeks!). This is to permit renewal of the S&C at Werrington Junction; the notes explicitly state:

"TRAINS TO TRAVEL FROM MARHOLME JN TO GLINTON JN VIA THE DIVE UNDER, THEN DIVERTED VIA GNGE BETWEEN GLINTON JN JN AND DONCASTER. NO ACCESS TO THE GNGE VIA WERRINGTON JN"

Those weekends could therefore be the first non-charter passenger trains over the diveunder.

Well I will put that in my Diary for November 2022--hopefully  I will still above ground and not kicking up daisy's 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

50 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

What an ungainly piece of trackwork at Glinton Junction! Why has it been done in that strange way?

Yours,  Mike.

It's difficult to do otherwise when avoiding diamond crossings and keeping clearance for two way traffic through the junction.

Using a crossover between the up and down lines forces the two turnouts on the down track further apart.

Werrington Jn. is the same and even more drawn out:

230906795_Screenshot2021-11-25173622.jpg.615704169ebe70b45b62adbb23bf9491.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've also read elsewhere that use of a diamond would have resulted in a 25mph speed limit through the junction unless a switched diamond is used, the angle of the junction determines whether or not a switched diamond is required. The issue with a switched diamond is that the components are bespoke for each site and therefore maintenance is expensive and protracted when replacement parts are needed.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It's difficult to do otherwise when avoiding diamond crossings and keeping clearance for two way traffic through the junction.

Using a crossover between the up and down lines forces the two turnouts on the down track further apart.

Werrington Jn. is the same and even more drawn out:

230906795_Screenshot2021-11-25173622.jpg.615704169ebe70b45b62adbb23bf9491.jpg

This shows how a telephoto lens works the other way round and can make the ungainly overhead view above seem rather neat, even though it is far from it in real life.  I suspect Glinton Junction is far neater on the ground than all the views we get from afar.

1248534971_2019-1012c.jpg.2d24db80af03d4bc34c73ef7e721bda5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

This shows how a telephoto lens works the other way round and can make the ungainly overhead view above seem rather neat, even though it is far from it in real life.  I suspect Glinton Junction is far neater on the ground than all the views we get from afar.

Several (many?) pages ago there were some shots from a drone which were striking in how very looooooong the junctions and diveunder approaches are. We get so used to telephoto photos making everything look very short, which has the effect of making the track look far more wiggly than it really is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Phil Himsworth said:

Several (many?) pages ago there were some shots from a drone which were striking in how very looooooong the junctions and diveunder approaches are. We get so used to telephoto photos making everything look very short, which has the effect of making the track look far more wiggly than it really is.

This is the post you are referring to Phil.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110286-east-coast-mainline-blockade-for-werrington-junction-diveunder/&do=findComment&comment=4573957

• Thanks 1

Can anyone shed any light on what these new signs are?

I have had a look on the Railway Signs http://www.railsigns.uk/ site but cannot see anything that they could be.

Look at all the photos first.

They are triangular in shape so facing both directions.  Also permanently fixed not temporary.  The middle one is obscured by the foliage which leads me to think that they are not that important to the running of trains otherwise I would have expected them to be lineside of the conduit channel.

The far one is 1 - III, the near one is 1 - II ? and the one under the A15 is 1 - I

IMG_0734tc.JPG.a96fd0a836d66e2f0dc0c9882d9aa291.JPG

IMG_0735c.jpg.2915fbbfac74442cc205352753cda1ce.jpg

IMG_0734ce.JPG.e5f961ad6aebc443d777f4dac363ebd2.JPG

IMG_0734cf.JPG.0b92b90c5a36d27b3bcf5efb5d51329b.JPG

IMG_0735cd.JPG.5d2bf189e05233095fb974dccd6c73be.JPG

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

They look like mileposts to me, but (the 'I' and 'III' would refer to quarter miles), but then what they've actually installed there or where the zero would be doesn't stack up particularly.

Guessing a bit on Google earth, the route is a bit under 2 miles long, so that kind of stacks up if it has a zero at the Peterborough end.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I don't think they are mile markers as they don't tie in with any of the current mileages, although they seem to be in miles & quarter miles.

The line to Spalding is counted in miles from London via Werrington Jn. which itself is at 79m 34ch and the Stamford line is miles from Manton Jn. which where the new Marholm Jn. is would be about 19m.

AFAIK A new short chord like this would normally (?)  be measured up or down from one or other of the mileages. e.g. at Marholm or Glinton Jns

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zomboid said:

They look like mileposts to me, but (the 'I' and 'III' would refer to quarter miles), but then what they've actually installed there or where the zero would be doesn't stack up particularly.

Guessing a bit on Google earth, the route is a bit under 2 miles long, so that kind of stacks up if it has a zero at the Peterborough end.

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

I don't think they are mile markers as they don't tie in with any of the current mileages, although they seem to be in miles & quarter miles.

The line to Spalding is counted in miles from London via Werrington Jn. which itself is at 79m 34ch and the Stamford line is miles from Manton Jn. which where the new Marholm Jn. is would be about 19m.

AFAIK A new short chord like this would normally (?)  be measured up or down from one or other of the mileages. e.g. at Marholm or Glinton Jns

3 hours ago, Zomboid said:

The new chord will have an ELR of its own, so no reason why it wouldn't start from zero at Marholm. And the distances do add up if that's the case.

The three signs I photographed are in the northern section.  If there is a one zero marker that would put it somewhere in the entrance to the north portal of the tunnel.  I don't know off hand the exact distance from Marholm Junction to Glinton Junction but it is the region of 1.5 to 1.75 miles.

• Informative/Useful 1

An article on the dive-under in the December issue of Modern Railways states it will open in early December subject to statutory approval. Must keep some time off aside for the opening day. Patience is a virtue...

Edited by Crun
  • Like 2