East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium

Does this mean that we now have to issue redundancy notices to our intrepid reporters?

Serious, an enormous thank you to all the regulars who have kept up up to date on the project.

Should there be an RMWeb award of some kind for such achievements?

Jonathan

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Does this mean that we now have to issue redundancy notices to our intrepid reporters?

Serious, an enormous thank you to all the regulars who have kept up up to date on the project.

Jonathan

I'm still hoping to photograph trains exiting the dive-under from the southern ramp. One or two goals to achieve yet... What do others think?

Edited by Crun
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Crun said:

Peterborough to Birmingham cab camera, passes by the Werrington Junction dive-under and mentions it:

That's a really good video.

It was well presented, with good information captions at interesting places along the route.

I particularly like the fact that the old MR lower quadrant near Ketton was commented on.

Considering the line's importance as a freight route with a regularly passenger service, the signalling is a right mish mash.

IMHO It really needs a full re-signal rather than the piecemeal replacements it's had in the last 100 years.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

It might not be the best video in the world but it was taking part in the event that counted.
I, along with Richard Elms and Trackside ECML were privilaged to be invited by LNER to be on the first official passenger train to traverse the Werrington dive under in both directions.
We had known about this event for awhile and LNER explicitly asked all invitees not to reveal any details on social media until after the event had taken place.  As you can image it has been hard to resist joining in with all the speculation that has abounded in recent posts.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 4

14 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

Perhaps we will be put out to grass like those horses at Hurn Road before going off to the knackers yard.:crazy:

Meanwhile, I'll take the redundancy money for a better video camera.:D

Thank you for the recognition Jonathan.  I must say from my point of view it has been a pleasure being out and about to keep everyone up to date with what has been an excellent project in our back yard.  Thanks also go to everyone here who has followed this thread, joined in numerous conversations with expert knowledge and observations, humorous anecdotes and other trivia.  I must say I have learned a lot more about railway workings and operations and above all constructional engineering from following this thread and engaging with those contractors around the site.  As they say, you are never to old to learn.:senile:

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I hope that I, along with the others, have been able to convey something of the magnitude of the project bearing in mind we were usually confined to public paths in the area.

You never know, if something else comes up locally, you might have to put up with us again :D

• Like 7

I'm really going to miss this thread. Thank you very much Crun, RichardE and Donington Road for keeping us up tp date with what's been happening.

The special rather reminds me of what the LNER, and LMS, did when they had a new train to show off, and quite right too! No publicity is bad publicity.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Seeing the video shows you just how gentle the convergence with the Werrington Jn. line actually is compared to how it looks when photographed from way back.

Coming back the other way over the ladder at Glinton Junction was so smooth you couldn't feel any movement.  The only indication it is there are all the lineside boxes.

The only way to avoid the squished up view of telephoto lenses would be to allow us me access to that nice tarmaced area adjacent to Glinton Junction.:crazy:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1