The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Invisible Indicators

Titan

Should not all BMWs be impounded as they do not seem to have working indicators :jester:

Mine does!  :angel:

And I know how to use them!  :yes:

My question would be why dont daylight running lights go out when you put the headlights on because putting the headlights on invariably means it isnt daylight anymore!

Yes I appreciate putting your headlights on during the day because of fog, heavy rain etc but the fact the headlights are on means the DRLs are no longer required.

• RMweb Gold

Then there are those who leave their indicators on, having thought about turning, and then changing their minds.....

If you're talking about Vauxhall Vectras the only way to make the indicators stop on those is to take the bulbs out.

If you're talking about Vauxhall Vectras the only way to make the indicators stop on those is to take the bulbs out.

Some of the best indicator controls were on old Citroens. They were rocker switches which were non self-cancelling, so it required the driver to remember and make a conscious effort to switch them off.

60754d1410597561-1976-citroen-cx2200-pal

• RMweb Gold

Mine does!  :angel:

And I know how to use them!  :yes:

My question would be why dont daylight running lights go out when you put the headlights on because putting the headlights on invariably means it isnt daylight anymore!

Yes I appreciate putting your headlights on during the day because of fog, heavy rain etc but the fact the headlights are on means the DRLs are no longer required.

The daylight running lights on my car go out when the headlights are on.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you can explain why you would need dazzling front LED lights on in clear daylight with perfectly good visibility? And how is it possible and legal (?) to have front lights on without rear lights, which is what I'm seeing a lot of lately even in thick fog!

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you can explain why you would need dazzling front LED lights on in clear daylight with perfectly good visibility? And how is it possible and legal (?) to have front lights on without rear lights, which is what I'm seeing a lot of lately even in thick fog!

It came like it. Actually the daylight lights aren't dazzling. I do think some cars are but the ones on mine are bright enough to be noticed I suppose but aren't so garish to be blinding. They are not for drivers they are for other road users allegedly. I am not sure why I am supposed to justify something that the manufacturer was required to install. For a car manufactured after whatever year it would be illegal not to have daylight running lamps.

Also if people can't turn on the appropriate fog lights in foggy weather that is because they are stupid not because their car has daylight lamps.

• RMweb Premium

Some of the best indicator controls were on old Citroens. They were rocker switches which were non self-cancelling, so it required the driver to remember and make a conscious effort to switch them off.

Citroen were often derided for oddball design touches, yet in many cases their quirky touches were far from being designed just to be wilfully contrarian or silly.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps you can explain why you would need dazzling front LED lights on in clear daylight with perfectly good visibility?

For the same reasons trains in the UK run around with dazzling bright lights (yes, as with cars the daylight settings are much brighter than when used at night).

Research says that having bright white lights on the front of your vehicle means it is easier for others to see - and thus having lots of lights is what we need whatever the mode of transport.

On road vehicles I believe it started out on HGVs, where collision rates went down after a trial and so they must be a good thing in the eyes of those drawing up the regulations

• RMweb Gold

As I wouldn't like to dazzle anyone when abroad I am intrigued to how my car requires no adjustment (according to the handbook) to the headlamps when driving on the continent?

• RMweb Gold

It came like it. Actually the daylight lights aren't dazzling. I do think some cars are but the ones on mine are bright enough to be noticed I suppose but aren't so garish to be blinding. They are not for drivers they are for other road users allegedly. I am not sure why I am supposed to justify something that the manufacturer was required to install. For a car manufactured after whatever year it would be illegal not to have daylight running lamps.

Also if people can't turn on the appropriate fog lights in foggy weather that is because they are stupid no because their car has daylight lamps.

Not asking you to justify what the manufacturers do, just thought you might know how they work, I think because drivers can see the lights shining on the road in front of them they perhaps think the rear lights are on. As for other road users seeing an oncoming car, a ruddy great car is difficult to miss...

• RMweb Gold

For the same reasons trains in the UK run around with dazzling bright lights (yes, as with cars the daylight settings are much brighter than when used at night).

Research says that having bright white lights on the front of your vehicle means it is easier for others to see - and thus having lots of lights is what we need whatever the mode of transport.

On road vehicles I believe it started out on HGVs, where collision rates went down after a trial and so they must be a good thing in the eyes of those drawing up the regulations

EU regs are such that within a decade ALL new cars sold will HAVE to be equipped with daylight running lights - so get used to them.

Well they need to sort the brightness out, they're getting on my tits.

So collisions with moving Christmas trees is reduced, but what about all the other things that can be collided with that are unlit and made less visible? Like trees, buildings, curbs, road signs, animals, and of course, people.

• RMweb Gold

Not asking you to justify what the manufacturers do, just thought you might know how they work, I think because drivers can see the lights shining on the road in front of them they perhaps think the rear lights are on. As for other road users seeing an oncoming car, a ruddy great car is difficult to miss...

I can't see the daylight lights shining on the road. They aren't projector beams. I usually have the headlights on the automatic setting so they come on if it is appropriately dark. The automatic setting can be confused if it is snowing so I feel it is then better to use them manually.

The DRLs on my J11 Qashqai dim when the headlights are on. I've seen other vehicles dim one side when the relevant indicator is flashing, which to me is more confusing and akin to a motor race starting when the red light goes out instead of when the green one goes on- the true meaning of each light being lost.

I've owned the Qashqai for about a year and soon read about the front indicator visibility issue, and can honestly say I've never witnessed a near miss or confusion caused by my indicators not being seen*, and ought to be a simple fix with a firmware upgrade should the meddling beaurocrats get involved (the same ones who won't allow cars to have an Autolock function in case they fail to unlock automatically in the event of an accident).

*But on the 20 minute drive to work tonight, I saw one Golf trying to out-drag another car at some traffic lights because he was too important to use the correct lane, two BMWs whose drivers were on the phone, and one Qashqai who thanked another driver for letting him into traffic. I also see plenty of cars with faulty indicators, by which I mean the function that automatically makes a car disappear out of their way when they want to move into that lane doesn't work.

Getting back to RMweb, here's one reason why I chose a Qashqai, the high flat load space with storage underneath and its ability to carry a layout on a single 6' board....

post-6819-0-70943200-1461987931_thumb.jpg

Archived