Heaton Lodge Junction

1 hour ago, SHMD said:

Today, Rails of Sheffield had a stall near the entrance. Mainly shifting "boxes".

There was also a small display by Peco near the exit, some leaflets and a small circle of 00 as a 6'x4' demo layout.

Heljan had a couple of Display cabinets, adjacent to the Peco bit, with some 00 and 0 stuff in.

In between them was (and will probably remain so), the biggest model railway I have ever seen.

The overall experience would, IMHO, benefit from a Cafe and a couple of Traders selling actual modelling materials.

Kev.

Suppose that's what we use to call a model railway show!...

..I beleave this is just a bit different....hence city center and timings of this and future shows

More a attraction than a model show looking at pics and feedback job done...

Edit seen the bosses comment above about more layouts and trade....so a modelrailway show!

Read other post before posting ....i

Edited by bradfordbuffer
I'm a idiot!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

It’s all I could do to allow them to open the toilets. 

And one of those wasn't working on Friday.

The layout itself was very impressive and to be really critical I would have to get very picky on such things that as a former S&T man I would have given somebody a bad time for the amount of scaly rust in some places.  The colour is not wrong, in those days we still had straight through toilet pipes. Removing the Bangers and Mash from point fittings was not fun.

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

And one of those wasn't working on Friday.

The layout itself was very impressive and to be really critical I would have to get very picky on such things that as a former S&T man I would have given somebody a bad time for the amount of scaly rust in some places.  The colour is not wrong, in those days we still had straight through toilet pipes. Removing the Bangers and Mash from point fittings was not fun.

You could remove obstuctions on a Saturday....on over time....time and a turd! (Time plus ⅓ overtime)

Recycling at its best

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

I popped down to see Heaton Lodge yesterday with two pals, one of whom is into model railways and one who isn't. All three of us were blown-away by the sheer scale and spectacle of it. It was great to just stand and watch trains passing and take in all of the little details. To me it didn't matter that there wasn't a café or traders - we were all there to see Heaton Lodge and we knew it wasn't going to be a normal model railway show.

Thanks to Simon for going to the effort of putting it together and putting it on display. It was great to see!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Let's be fair now covid seen off ⅓ of punters rail service not so bad in the North some new longer stock and its not that bad....the fault is every one wants to travel at same time....I shudder to think how trai s going to be over the next 2 weekends for Xmas shopping to the big centers like Leeds and Manchester....

Train  travel is expensive but so is fuel and parking for your car...I'm alright jack got my staff travel passes ...used twice since march 2020! What a waste....out and about next year

It has been horrendous on weekends in/out of Leeds, York & Manchester with shoppers and drinkers for at least the last 3 weekends let alone next weekend!

Back home with a pot of Yorkshore Tea! 

Spent a fantastic few hours at HLJ. My (decidedly NON-railway) daughter also enjoyed it. She was happy to seek out the detailing, spot Thomas (she's 22(!)), and shake her head as I (most of the time) predicted what was comining out of the dive-under purely on exhaust note! 

Apart from a troublesome Cargowaggen deciding it wanted to sulk alone, everything ran beautifully, and I was once again that long-haired, motorcycle riding, 20 something standing on Woodend Bridge. 

Pure magic. 

Lovely to manage a quick chat with Simon, the whole experience does you a great credit Sir! 

Now... Dare I sneak out next weekend??? :rolleyes:

IMG_20211212_123319.jpg

IMG_20211212_130503.jpg

IMG_20211212_131928.jpg

• Like 15

Visited with my 12 year old son on Saturday travelling from Leicester. His initial reaction walking in was WOW!  Dad can we build something like this…. No, sorry son.  Spent a good 2 hours watching and his favourite things were the scenery, trying to see the Grifter and the working sewage works. Asking him why, he said ‘it makes it interesting and real while waiting for the next train’. 

Thanks for bringing it out Simon. I look forward to seeing it again when you bring it out again. Amazing! 

jeff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well finally got to see HLJ today and wow, Simon mate it’s unbelievable what a masterpiece. Just an anorak moment though the box that used to control the junction was an Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly Box of 1903. 84 levers as well so a big one and not a LNWR one as stated on one of the information boards.

9CDAFD6C-F86F-4370-85B4-265602BDB5D0.png

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned - any ideas best parking nearby ? I’m booked to go tomorrow 

10 minutes ago, enginelane said:

The Trinity Walk car park about 500 metres away is very big. 

Another endorsement for Trinity Walk car park from me too.

It’s well sign posted off the local roads and I can’t remember how much I paid for my mornings parking, but I don’t recall it being extortionate by todays standards. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Trinity Walk car park is by far the easiest and not too expensive but you have to pay by card (when you leave).

We've been today, very impressive and even bigger than I thought - I hadn't realised how wide it all is. The proposed extensions look very interesting as well.

The figures showing how big it would have been in EM are startlingly close to the size of the Carlisle layout I've been building in France - and that's taken 11 years so far.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Trinity Walk car park is by far the easiest and not too expensive but you have to pay by card (when you leave).

We've been today, very impressive and even bigger than I thought - I hadn't realised how wide it all is. The proposed extensions look very interesting as well.

The figures showing how big it would have been in EM are startlingly close to the size of the Carlisle layout I've been building in France - and that's taken 11 years so far.

I've been messing with stats... A 4mm scale model of the model would take up 3/4 of my modest offering, at 800 mm long! 

• Informative/Useful 1