Heaton Lodge Junction

I think I’d go for fibreglass.  

It’ll mean making a mould (perhaps for a quarter of one tower) then casting as many parts as needed & bonding them together, but they can be ultra-thin, and really quite light - and importantly, they’ll stand up to the rigours of a travelling exhibition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You will have to have the set up for mgr unloading shed at power Station to go with your cooling tower's that was at railriders layout at York as a loaded train entered a identical empty mgr and matching loco emerges at the same speed and at same time loaded train disappeared in to scenery from shed! , very convincing, if distant memory serves me well I think it was in N gauge? would be impossibly large in 7mm!,  but then again somebody probably said you can't make a scale model of ......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’ve been giving this idea a lot of thought.

It’s finding a material that can be made into the basic cooling tower shape, is light enough for two people to carry and stays in shape and doesn’t bow.
Possibly aluminium sheet? Not sure. 
6m is a tad high but 3m high is doable I think. 

These basic MPD sheds are big enough and I’ve a load more to build yet.!

Going to add drainpipes, change the roof structure to corrugated iron, ladders and air conditioning units for starters. 

63353026-975F-4DB2-A3BC-E098E8F3275B.jpeg

I'm sure I saw an article in a mag, the name of which currently escapes me, about a retired Indian civil engineer who's hobby was fashioning large cylindrical model based structures from old, large industrial kitchen cooking pots. I'll see if I can dig it out.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2021 at 13:02, HeatonLodge40 said:

Next stop is the South West - probably Bristol. If anyone knows of a venue big enough  (that isn’t £25,000 a day in that location) - I’d be extremely grateful to know about it.

Much bigger exhibition next time with all the trade & lots more layouts. 

100% for the Bath and West Showground site.

2 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

You will have to have the set up for mgr unloading shed at power Station to go with your cooling tower's that was at railriders layout at York as a loaded train entered a identical empty mgr and matching loco emerges at the same speed and at same time loaded train disappeared in to scenery from shed! , very convincing, if distant memory serves me well I think it was in N gauge? would be impossibly large in 7mm!,  but then again somebody probably said you can't make a scale model of ......

Does any one have a vid of the coal unloading at rail riders?

12 hours ago, Simond said:

I think I’d go for fibreglass.  

It’ll mean making a mould (perhaps for a quarter of one tower) then casting as many parts as needed & bonding them together, but they can be ultra-thin, and really quite light - and importantly, they’ll stand up to the rigours of a travelling exhibition.

I think that is the best idea yet Simon. Thanks!

• Like 1

In other news after trawling the net for hours I’ve finally found enough working searchlights for the lighting gantry towers. 

These are from a company on Amazon called Evemodel who seem to do dozens of lighting related bits for model railways. 
At £15.99 for 5 they are great value. I went for the OO size as the O are overscale in my opinion.

Trouble is I need minimum 30 for each gantry! And there’s 7 gantry’s. 

2671A1A5-8575-4474-B75D-1FC0C3D40FFE.jpeg

• Like 10

er, if you want Drax, you're going to do more than scale up an undersize N gauge one!

https://www.drax.com/power-generation/inside-cooling-tower-looks-like-no-place-earth/

Standing at over 114 metres high, each of Drax’s 12 cooling towers are 86 metres in diameter at their base, 53 metres at their summit, and could comfortably fit the Statue of Liberty inside. Everything about them is huge, but they are not the unsophisticated masses of concrete they appear from afar.

“Look at a cooling tower and you might think it’s a substantial, thick structure. It’s not,” explains Nick Smith, a civil engineer at Drax. “It’s basically like an egg shell. It is the shape that gives it its strength.” For the majority of their height, a typical cooling tower is between just 178 and 180 mm – or 7 inches – thick.

Even for a modeller like Simon, who clearly isn't scared of doing stuff on a grand scale, I think 2.6m high, and 2m diameter at the base might be a bit of a challenge... 

more here

https://www.ft.com/content/1a1d5f45-c699-4876-af21-fe02c9cb998a

Ratcliffe and Didcot were similar, maybe a bit bigger...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Simond said:

Standing at over 114 metres high, each of Drax’s 12 cooling towers are 86 metres in diameter at their base, 53 metres at their summit,

That's going to need its own framework to hold it at baseboard height. I make it 2 metres diameter by about 2.7 metres high.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

1 hour ago, Simond said:

Standing at over 114 metres high, each of Drax’s 12 cooling towers are 86 metres in diameter at their base, 53 metres at their summit

The Tinsley Towers by the M1 were only 76 m high, according to an extensive (2 mins) internet search. That might bring things down to a manageable scale?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

The Tinsley Towers by the M1 were only 76 m high, according to an extensive (2 mins) internet search. That might bring things down to a manageable scale?

I've got the solution to the hight issue!

Model them post demolition! Couple of inches of tangled steel rebar and crushed concrete :scratchhead:

Sorry!....I'll get back in my box now...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Superb work SImon and congratualtions on a successful first outing. Seeing all those flight cases brought back happy memories of an earlier life and knowing how much I spent on mine 15 years ago, I know there is an impressive investment there. Looking forward to this coming "dahn sarf". :)

On another note regarding the next outing for HLJ - I’ll be posting the details on Monday. 

Much larger event this one with hopefully a good number of multi scale layouts, lots of trade etc 

Its not long either - Friday/Saturday/Sunday April 8/9/10th :)

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

On another note regarding the next outing for HLJ - I’ll be posting the details on Monday. 

Much larger event this one with hopefully a good number of multi scale layouts, lots of trade etc 

Its not long either - Friday/Saturday/Sunday April 8/9/10th :)

Finger poised over the Ryanair website!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Well the second tower is coming along nicely. 
I still can’t get the solder to adhere to the brass even with a 100W iron. 
So I’m back to a blowtorch and a lot of flux. It’s works well if you heat up the brass first..

F23A3994-425C-483B-88C7-251558A2EE8B.jpeg

I know it may seem an obvious question.

Have you cleaned the brass first - it looks quite tarnished.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I still can’t get the solder to adhere to the brass even with a 100W iron. 

Just a point... Ive had brass section with some sort of coating. This stopppedv solder penetrating, and once heated, changed its composition or something and just sat there! No penetration or flow. I assume the blow torch totally blasts the stuff (if any is there) away. A 100W iron should cope... Have you tried an active flux, and also tinning the parts then sweating them together? 

• Like 1