Hunslet 15" 0-6-0ST Judith Edge kitbuild

Ruston

Hi Chris

Can do - is it "urgent", or "when I next build a loco"?

I should say that with three loco kits in the cupboard, and the baseboards still not started, it might be a wee while before the latter, but here's a view of an assembled one - rear axle of my King, in cruel close-up.

If it's urgent, I can take something to bits and post a couple of pix, later in the week.

Best

Simon

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Not urgent Simon. As and when you are ready.

I have now made up and fitted the brake hangers and blocks. The boiler backhead has been painted and is fitted and a regulator handle made up from scrap etch and .8mm wire.

HE-023.jpg

Here it is alongside it's stablemate. This one is to be finished in the same lined livery but with the appearance of being a little better kept.

HE-022.jpg

Lining done but not as per the other loco. This one is in orange, to a slightly different pattern and with thicker lines. I used a lining pen on the other one but used masking tape and hand-painting on this one.

HE-026.jpg

Cab interior impoved. Yes, I know the pipe to the pressure gauge is too thick but I couldn't find anything thinner. The gauge is a spare casting from some other kit.

HE-024.jpg

I have made a couple of fire irons and the sign, which is legible but the camera won't focus that close, reads "The carriage of unauthorised persons upon this locomotive is prohibited".

HE-0025.jpg

If you're wondering why the chimney hasn't been fitted yet it is because the intention is to fit it with a Kylpor exhaust. Some people think these exhausts look ugly but I quite like them and it's my loco so rule No.1 applies.

There should have been a pressure gauge in with the resin mouldings, we might do the Kylpor chimney as an alternative eventually - I quite like them myself.

We have some more kits in stock now.

If there was I didn't find it. The cab roof inner is also missing from the etches. There are also no corner triangular reinforcings that go between the bufferbeams and the frames, although I don't think they're mentioned in the instructions so maybe that's an omission from the kit design, rather than just my own kit?

Lining done but not as per the other loco. This one is in orange, to a slightly different pattern and with thicker lines. I used a lining pen on the other one but used masking tape and hand-painting on this one.

HE-026.jpg

Cab interior impoved. Yes, I know the pipe to the pressure gauge is too thick but I couldn't find anything thinner. The gauge is a spare casting from some other kit.

HE-024.jpg

I have made a couple of fire irons and the sign, which is legible but the camera won't focus that close, reads "The carriage of unauthorised persons upon this locomotive is prohibited".

HE-0025.jpg

If you're wondering why the chimney hasn't been fitted yet it is because the intention is to fit it with a Kylpor exhaust. Some people think these exhausts look ugly but I quite like them and it's my loco so rule No.1 applies.

Very nice. Colour and tone of the cab floor planks are spot on to my eye.

Would they have had two brackets on the cab back for the fire irons to carry them more safely and securely?

Just laying them on the back shelf while still red hot - not good.

Also on some industrials I have been on the shelf is also the lid for one or two storage boxes for spanners and odds and ends.

Gordon A

I think you're right, Gordon. I fitted brackets on the cab back on the other one. I'll dig around in my scrapbox and look for something to make brackets out of.

That loco is going to be working very hard, you've got the regulator in the fully open position there!

It just happened to fit the position of the driver's hand to have it that way.

• RMweb Premium

If there was I didn't find it. The cab roof inner is also missing from the etches. There are also no corner triangular reinforcings that go between the bufferbeams and the frames, although I don't think they're mentioned in the instructions so maybe that's an omission from the kit design, rather than just my own kit?

The inner cab roof was a way of fixing the roof in the 4mm kit, it was left out of the 7mm version but the instructions evidently were not altered. This kit has never had buffer beam gussets.

Thanks, Michael. However the cab roof inner was supposed to work I guess I wouldn't have used it anyway as a couple of blobs of solder paint did the trick. I'll have to make some buffer beam gussets from plasticard.

The fire irons have been relocated to brackets on the rear wall of the cab, and the roof has been fixed on.

HE-027.jpg

I've made some guards for the cab rear portholes using scrap etch and wire.

HE-028.jpg

On Simond's suggestion I have replaced the 12BA screws with 10BA and have tapped the bushes to do way with the need for hex-headed nuts.

HE-029.jpg

Test-running on DC. There is something binding slightly. It runs nicely at mid to high speed but it's noticably slowing and speeding, each revolution, at very low speed.

HE-030.jpg

The problem was one of the centre holes on one rod. Fixed by slightly elongating it with a file.

For some reason the 12v DC controller kept cutting out, so I couldn't leave it running on the rollers. I fitted an old non-sound decoder and with current collectors fitted to just one axle, screwed the body on and gave it its first run on the rails. It seems to be OK and even negotiates pointwork one one axle pickup.

HE-031_1.jpg

The chimney is fixed with PVA glue so it can be easily removed once I have a Kylpor exhaust to replace it. Jobs to do are to fit current collectors to the remaining two axles, make and fit brake rodding, fill the bunker with coal and make and fit buffer beam gussets. And, of course, replace the decoder with a sound-fitted one, plus keep-alive and speaker.

It will stay ex-works until the Kylpor exhaust and nameplates are fitted then it will be given some weathering.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, chaps. It now looks better with the Kylpor exhaust (kindly provided by a forum member), sand pipes, brake rigging and weathering.

Royd-039.jpg

Royd-038.jpg

It also runs well and has been fitted with a Zimo decoder with Austerity sounds on board. I guess the sound of an Austerity 0-6-0 is as near as sound as can be got to a 15" Hunslet.

• 1 month later...

Archived