Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

• RMweb Gold

Here's a few more pictures from this evening's work.

I've put in the missing trunking to the cabinets (I still need more cabinets!) and I'll weather it up tomorrow morning before work...

post-18825-0-51835800-1508877932_thumb.jpg

...and I also put a catch pit in between the main and the branch...

post-18825-0-34589300-1508877895.jpg

Here's the view looking back towards the station from the road...

post-18825-0-68252700-1508877907_thumb.jpg

I also managed to add these little gems.....

post-18825-0-85334000-1508877900_thumb.jpg

.....a nice sleeper stop, and a sleeper bolted to the wall as per Castle Cary.

That's about it for this week and there's not much else that'll get done now as I'm away crashing trains on Tidworth at Weymouth this weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to help Dave do some more work on Crofton, his mammoth N Gauge layout and on Thursday I'm doing nothing.....except catching up with the Paddington (station, not the bear!) series.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 16

Hi Mike

Love the S&T/civils work, the cabinets and cable troughing look great.  I am at the stage where I need to add my cable trough.  I have resorted to home made versions (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106602-family-8x4-oo-layout-kadee-coupling-effort/?p=2898300) which I am happy with, but I wand to improve the concrete effect which is so hard to replicate. 

Can you offer any advice on how you paint/weather yours?  Also, is your trouging made or bought?

Regards Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Love the S&T/civils work, the cabinets and cable troughing look great.  I am at the stage where I need to add my cable trough.  I have resorted to home made versions (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106602-family-8x4-oo-layout-kadee-coupling-effort/?p=2898300) which I am happy with, but I wand to improve the concrete effect which is so hard to replicate. 

Can you offer any advice on how you paint/weather yours?  Also, is your trouging made or bought?

Regards Paul

I've sent you a PM Paul

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few more pictures from this evening's work.

I've put in the missing trunking to the cabinets (I still need more cabinets!) and I'll weather it up tomorrow morning before work...

attachicon.gifTrunking.jpg

...and I also put a catch pit in between the main and the branch...

attachicon.gifCatch Pit.jpg

Here's the view looking back towards the station from the road...

attachicon.gifThe other side.jpg

I also managed to add these little gems.....

attachicon.gifEnd of the line.jpg

.....a nice sleeper stop, and a sleeper bolted to the wall as per Castle Cary.

That's about it for this week and there's not much else that'll get done now as I'm away crashing trains on Tidworth at Weymouth this weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to help Dave do some more work on Crofton, his mammoth N Gauge layout and on Thursday I'm doing nothing.....except catching up with the Paddington (station, not the bear!) series.

Does Croft on have an rmweb page? Couldn’t find anything with search.

I too missed Taunton this year but now have no excuse to miss next year.

I've got a full set of Hornby FGW Dynamic Lines coaches and the recent GWR Green livery (none weathered unfortunately as can't afford for someone with the skill set to do this for me.... take note all you self proclaimed expert weatherers) (or DCC chipped) which I would quite happily bring along for you to use if you need more rolling stock for the event as i'm only just up the road.

You think you'd seen it all with the kid in the green jumper excitedly watching you previously....... well guess what.... You ain't seen nothing yet as  I too can get hold of a green jumper....

watching this thread with interest, more excellent photos and text Pleeeeeeease.

Yours Aye,

Giz

Round and round and round she goes..... will she stop nobody knows............. this is exciting!!!!!!        :locomotive:

• Like 2

Hi

Congratulations on your Taunton invite......

Taunton Railex is a MAJOR show......

Perhaps now you might appreciate that your modelling is if not excellent then at least superb.....

As lots of people on here have already said.....

If your layout wasn't good.....You wouldn't have been invited.......

Hopefully will be able to visit the show.....It's a hike from here in west Cornwall but would be worth it.....

Hope to see the layout in a years time....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Congratulations! That's superb! I'll definitely be attending to see this fantastic layout at Taunton for sure.

I'm starting to struggle to tell whether the pictures are of your layout or real locations!

Edited by Shoey
  • Like 1

I've been following this thread for a while now and i've really liked the look of the layout and how its coming along. Very smart and the modelling is excellent, despite what the men of tweed at the exhibition said. If you make it up north with it i'll gladly come to see it. 

To go just infront of your sleeper in the demic loco siding one of these railway stop signs (don't know the official term) may look smart as i've seen a couple about in sidings that have been curtailed. 

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

To go just infront of your sleeper in the demic loco siding one of these railway stop signs (don't know the official term) may look smart as i've seen a couple about in sidings that have been curtailed.

I make such things on Shapeways if your interested

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9ZCF3YJ4E/00-em-p4-3x-track-possession-limit-boards?optionId=62249122

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Wow, that took a loing time to read through, not sure how I had missed this one before, but after our get together Sat night at 'spoons in Weymouth, I thought that I had better have a look!

Much as the other comments, simply superb work and certainly inspirational stuff.

There is a lot to be said from learning from your mistakes.

Will keep following!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Wow, that took a loing time to read through, not sure how I had missed this one before, but after our get together Sat night at 'spoons in Weymouth, I thought that I had better have a look!

Much as the other comments, simply superb work and certainly inspirational stuff.

There is a lot to be said from learning from your mistakes.

Will keep following!

Thanks Richard. Nice to meet yourself and Ray at the weekend too.

• RMweb Gold

These little beauties arrived at Grapefruit Towers this morning courtesy of Scale Model Scenery....

post-18825-0-96983300-1509449711_thumb.jpg

Considering these are laser cut card, the detail is amazing and they'll complement the concrete and blue versions already in situ. I'll get some more pictures up this evening once I've put them together and painted them.

While the layout is residing in my office, I thought I'd get the camera out and take a few pictures of the track to highlight the 'naked eye to close up' discrepancies and it's an interesting comparison. The ballast doesn't look a million miles away but the rail colour and height always seem to look wrong - this is highlighted in the 'camera of death' close ups which also shows the ballast to still be on the large side!

post-18825-0-39735600-1509449724_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-88843300-1509449728_thumb.jpg

I'll add the findings to my book 'A Beginners Guide to Rivet Counting' by MDJ Buick  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

And here's a couple of random pictures, the first, of the main line through the station....

post-18825-0-20426500-1509449717_thumb.jpg

.....and the second, a view of the yard trackwork back towards the Ansford Road end....

post-18825-0-46658200-1509449734_thumb.jpg

I particularly like this shot as the track joints don't line up properly. This isn't a mistake, I copied it from Eastleigh yard  :D

• Like 17

Well this evening's exploits saw me take a paint brush to £240 worth of 'hard to get' XC HST coaches, and their corresponding power cars.....some people may think it's madness but I just couldn't stand looking at the Hornby plastic any longer! I'd already attacked one of the TFs and turned it in to a TCC so doing the rest of the set was the next logical thing to do.

Great layout! You mention converting a TF into TCC. How did you do it? Any photos?

• RMweb Gold

It must be getting close to Christmas as another parcel arrived this morning......

post-18825-0-52644700-1509537346_thumb.jpg

Ignore the piston, these are the lamp heads for the posts I've made up. There's three different types, as per Castle Cary and it now means I'll have some station lights that look the right size! These are samples to check everything fits and they're also hollow inside so I can add bulbs or LEDs if I want to.

I make no apologies for the shameless plug in the picture because Alan's work is superb and if you ever get the chance to see him at any exhibitions, please have a look at his fantastic N / OO / O Gauge figures.

There's quite a bit of stuff that I can crack on with now but I need to finish off the O Gauge MK3 coach before the Reading show and if possible, I'd like to take it along to Warley at the end of this month. 

On a further note, Ian's Tidworth is at Thorncombe show on the 11th of this month so if you're down that way, pop along and see us.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I cant post any pictures yet but the station lights look very good. There's a little bit of tweaking needed in terms of size but overall, Alan's done a sterling job! 

Compared to the DCC Concepts lights, they're half the size and I'm really looking forward to getting them fitted because they'll make the world of difference to the platforms.

• Like 4