Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

• 1 month later...

So with the Gaugemaster show closing in faster than a heat seeking missile, I'm busy finishing off half started jobs!

Justin's fence has made so much difference to the look and feel of the scenery - a lot less chunky! In fact, have a look at his website www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk as he's got some cracking stuff on there that can be adapted to suit loads of different applications, and it won't break the bank either!

Anyway, that's Justin's free plug out of the way, now back to the modelling. I've got the yellow lines in for the station car park and although they're a bit bodged, I'm sure they'll look ok once I've weathered them in..

attachicon.gifNo Parking.jpg

Disguising the join in the fence has turned out a bit of a disaster but it'll have to do for now....

attachicon.gifFence Joint.jpg

The line painting has started on Oak Road too....

attachicon.gifLine Painting.jpg

and finally, I've added the kerb stones...

attachicon.gifRoad Repair.jpg

I'll try and get a bit more done over the weekend and get this area finished so I can move on to the station and start getting the lights and signage in place, before moving on the the other end of the layout.

Cracking work Mike - looking forward to your trips to Sussex.

• RMweb Gold

Looking very realistic, love the patch repair on the road.

Pictures must have been taken a few years ago as there are no potholes to be seen!

Keep up the great work.

Cheers Kevin

Believe it or not, there's hardly any potholes in the road outside Castle Cary station!

• RMweb Gold

After 8 solid hours of modelling yesterday, I made a little bit more progress...just!

The car park is causing a few issues due to being way too narrow and I'm undecided on how to arrange the parking spaces. It's likely that it'll just be short stay with the spaces running parallel to the kerb and it had already been assumed that there was a larger car park off scene to the front of the layout.

post-18825-0-78003200-1534154189_thumb.jpg

I repainted the road surface and added the give way lines, along with other road markings on Oak Road (for those of you unfamiliar with the layout, Oak Road is the road to the left of the station when viewed form the front and goes on to to join an A road) and some more patch repairs. More undergrowth and bushes were added to the fence, and to the bank that leads down to the stone yard.

post-18825-0-69773100-1534154164_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-54585100-1534154173_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-36075400-1534154182_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-96124000-1534154159_thumb.jpg

I'm going to spend the rest of this week getting as much done on these two boards as I can, and then I'll move on to the other two boards and do the same, at least that way, although it STILL won't be finished for Gaugemaster, it won't be massively obvious that it's far from complete.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I thought I's stick this picture up as once the toilet door screens go in, this view will be fairly different...

post-18825-0-04160100-1534249107_thumb.jpg

The station building isn't a particularly great fit on the platform but I think I may have found a solution - it bolts down so I'll add some Plasticine to the bottom which, when compressed, will hide the gap....I hope! 

It's amazing to think how much scenic material I've actually got through to make it all look realistic....and I'm still only half way there. 

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 10

I thought I's stick this picture up as once the toilet door screens go in, this view will be fairly different...

attachicon.gifGet me the weedkiller.jpg

The station building isn't a particularly great fit on the platform but I think I may have found a solution - it bolts down so I'll add some Plasticine to the bottom which, when compressed, will hide the gap....I hope! 

It's amazing to think how much scenic material I've actually got through to make it all look realistic....and I'm still only half way there. 

Just goes to show you how much scenery is out there in real life!

Looking great and credit to you

• RMweb Gold

Two steps forward, three steps back! Well not quite, but I realised yesterday the main road was too wide!

post-18825-0-23010400-1534348438_thumb.jpg

No real dramas luckily as I just moved the kerb over...(ignore the poorly painted white line)

post-18825-0-70943300-1534348444_thumb.jpg

....and then used filler to make the pavement!

post-18825-0-00129700-1534348454_thumb.jpg

I have no idea how I manage to measure things wrongly but it's a trait I could really do with losing! Even the fence posts were put in the wrong place!!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Got a little bit more done yesterday - I rebuilt the warehouse after knocking it off the board, and added a worker to the fire door. I've also built up one of the portakabins for the stone yard and started weathering the digger.

post-18825-0-76040400-1534502868_thumb.jpg

I'm not overly happy with the door bar as it's a bit messy, so at some point, it'll be tidied up!

post-18825-0-54348600-1534502876_thumb.jpg

I'll get the main road finished off this evening and then start adding the bushes and undergrowth.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I managed to gather some pace on the other end of the layout too this week and the main road has progressed nicely...

post-18825-0-96662200-1534680811_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-36391800-1534680802_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-49554300-1534680793_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-87159900-1534680820_thumb.jpg

There's still some things to do like adding the give way triangle, finish the pavements and sort out the road surface over the bridge so that it sits flat. I've also done some work on the platform lights too with some excellent transfers from Railtec. The Oak Road signs will need to wait a while so if you see it at Gaugemaster or Worthing, the signs will just be plain white!

post-18825-0-41318700-1534680829_thumb.jpg

....only another 21 to go!

Similarly, I'm not happy with the backscene boards but until I can work out a better way of making them (Paul has suggested MDF which I'm inclined to agree with), I'll have to make do with the warped plywood ones.

At least it's going to look a lot more complete by the end of the month!

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 13

Looking really good Mike! Stunning work on the road - it really looks the part!

I had the same issue with the ply warping - I've swapped the thin ply for 18mm ply as opposed to the MDF route, whilst the boards are significantly heavier it's made a huge difference to the strength of the boards. Hopefully that's helpful!

Keep up the good work!

Will