Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

Hi Scoobyra,

It was fantastic to see Oak Road this weekend, the atmosphere of the layout is just spot on and I can't wait to see it again with more detail, you should be very proud of the layout you've built.

In reference to out conversion, I have can confirm that the buffer stop TPWS positions are 55m from the buffer stop for the arming loop and than the trigger loop is 5.5m further towards the buffer stop.

Also, I'd like to say thank you for inspiring me to get Norwood Road out at some point this year and get some more work done on it!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree with St Simon it was great to see Oak Road and it’s excellent high level of realism and observation with its colours, textures and details. Truelly inspirational stuff.

Enjoyed the slightly renamed Bellmond Pullman too, not just because of the Bulleid Brilliance at the head of the train..,

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from a great weekend at Worthing, and before I go any further, I must give a massive thanks to Dave, Pete and Ian for their help in keeping the trains running - it’s one thing building a layout but it’s about as much use as chocolate teapot if you can’t operate it!!!! I also need to thank Worthing MRC for their fantastic hospitality and for inviting Oak Road along to their brilliant show.

So, the weekend didn’t get off to the best of starts as some lemon left the layout bolts back at the workshop......luckily, the transportation bolts got us out of the poop truck and we managed to get things up and under way. After a few false starts on Saturday morning we had trains going in all directions......until the Voyager started making a funny noise, and the XC HST decide to break down! Today went a lot better and we only crashed one train.......although why people seem to think it’s acceptable to let children climb all over a layout is beyond me? Let alone run riot!! Luckily, nothing got broken except a 37 snow plough (by me) although we did manage to leave the layout curtain in the car park, and forget the folder with the nice show plaque and layout signs in it!!

There’s a couple of electrical niggles to deal with tomorrow and then it’s scenery all the way until Taunton.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scoobyra,

It was fantastic to see Oak Road this weekend, the atmosphere of the layout is just spot on and I can't wait to see it again with more detail, you should be very proud of the layout you've built.

In reference to out conversion, I have can confirm that the buffer stop TPWS positions are 55m from the buffer stop for the arming loop and than the trigger loop is 5.5m further towards the buffer stop.

Also, I'd like to say thank you for inspiring me to get Norwood Road out at some point this year and get some more work done on it!

Simon

Thanks Simon, always useful to have people to ask for advice.

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree with St Simon it was great to see Oak Road and it’s excellent high level of realism and observation with its colours, textures and details. Truelly inspirational stuff.

Enjoyed the slightly renamed Bellmond Pullman too, not just because of the Bulleid Brilliance at the head of the train..,

Thanks Graham. I’m glad you liked my sense of humour

• RMweb Gold

For those of you that haven't seen Oak Road out and about, this is what it looks like....

post-18825-0-89252200-1538388387_thumb.jpg

People don't realise how big it is in real life so I managed to get a decent picture that shows the whole thing. That's Dave in the middle and the famous James Makin stood behind it.

Although there's still along way to go with the scenery and possibly a lighting rig (although it doesn't really need one), it's starting to look a lot better.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

It might not need a rig at the shows you've been to so far but it will at some as you get some really dingy halls ;)

It can be very minimal if you use LED strips. Some halls you get strong light behind you and the backscene puts the layout in shadow too.

It's a faff and expense but well worth it for those odd halls and you can easily recycle it for other layouts. Mine uses parts from my Swiss layout and the light bars were also used on my G scale and now my Lulworth and Harz layouts. The only new bits were extra supports to deal with shallower layout depths in the new ones, so I cut some down and made more ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

It might not need a rig at the shows you've been to so far but it will at some as you get some really dingy halls ;)

It can be very minimal if you use LED strips. Some halls you get strong light behind you and the backscene puts the layout in shadow too.

It's a faff and expense but well worth it for those odd halls and you can easily recycle it for other layouts. Mine uses parts from my Swiss layout and the light bars were also used on my G scale and now my Lulworth and Harz layouts. The only new bits were extra supports to deal with shallower layout depths in the new ones, so I cut some down and made more ;)

I just figured that if the exhibition hall was dark, it would be like being at CC on an overcast day  :laugh:

Thanks Simon, always useful to have people to ask for advice.

Hi Mate,

Just realised I've blundered with those measurements.

The Trigger Loop would be at 55m from the buffer stop and the arming loop would be 5.5m further back from that!

Simon

Hi Mate,

The Trigger Loop would be at 55m from the buffer stop and the arming loop would be 5.5m further back from that!

Simon

I wish I knew what you guys were really talking about............and I do say that tongue in cheek..................and admire it really :mosking: :mosking:  Just don't got looking at my layout for any technical correctness!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mate,

Simon

I'd already figured that and didn't realise you'd explained it wrong  :laugh:

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I wish I knew what you guys were really talking about............and I do say that tongue in cheek..................and admire it really :mosking: :mosking:  Just don't got looking at my layout for any technical correctness!!!!!!!

Ha! I'm just a law unto myself mate so don't worry about correctness.....I get rivet counters telling me I'm taking things too far!  :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Do you all really know what all that means? If so please feel free to explain :senile:

Simon and I were discussing the TPS Grids at the end of the bay line and I wasn't sure of the spacing. He quoted me some figures but got them round the wrong way....which I didn't notice...as I knew what he meant. The next issue is how to make the grids because the Peco ones are wrong for the smaller 'toast racks'

Simon and I were discussing the TPS Grids at the end of the bay line and I wasn't sure of the spacing. He quoted me some figures but got them round the wrong way....which I didn't notice...as I knew what he meant. The next issue is how to make the grids because the Peco ones are wrong for the smaller 'toast racks'

Yes I see now, I have some of the Peco ones I was about to fit but I never thought to check the size....good catch.

Really looking forward to your layout coming 'up north' next year.... or even the year after :scratchhead:

Edited by stock_2007

• RMweb Premium

goo

For those of you that haven't seen Oak Road out and about, this is what it looks like....

attachicon.gifThe Whole Layout.jpg

People don't realise how big it is in real life so I managed to get a decent picture that shows the whole thing. That's Dave in the middle and the famous James Makin stood behind it.

Although there's still along way to go with the scenery and possibly a lighting rig (although it doesn't really need one), it's starting to look a lot better.

d to see the layout out on the circuit. look forward to seeing it when I get a chance.

do you have a list of shows the layout is going to over the next year?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In my signature Phil  :good:

Cheers mate. My powers of observation are on the blink today.

Will be good to see the layout. I’m helping with Banbury on Saturday at Taunton so I’ll be able to see it then. Really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifThe Whole Layout.jpg

If I'd known you were taking this pic,  I'd have ducked (or crashed a train,  or both!)  :sarcastichand: