Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Models Hornby Could Make, but probably won't.

robmcg

If the premise is 'from what they already have in CAD' ( I believe tooling is created as a complete production kit for a class of locomotive) then the streamlined final version of the P2 is in reasonably easy reach. Just need to persuade them that BR green is a viable livery, prototype be damned.

Backdating the K1 to a K4: passenger liveried, named.

if they have made a good tender choice on the Q6, the Thompson B2 offers from B17 and B1, with an NER tender.

• Like 1

The obvious one for me, though I am not sure how many they would actually sell ( I have bult my own so would not buy one), as the power plant/chassis is pure Star is the .... Bear

post-9992-0-54914500-1462694465_thumb.jpg

Another low investment but again how many would sell is the streamline Castle and King. New body only required.

post-9992-0-54811600-1462694488_thumb.jpg

The Dean single can be modified to a 2-2-2 Queen or any or the later domeless boilered 4-2-2. But again, how many would sell to recover investment?

post-9992-0-84253000-1462694849_thumb.jpg

And finally. Can someone tell the insurance companies that I do not want a meerkat or robot toy, to make me to buy insurance from you....... But this might. :)

post-9992-0-21947000-1462694475_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Dear All,

I have often wondered when manufacturers of 00 RTR  will run out of viable new models, and I think in these uncertain times it might be dangerous to expect even the common and popular engines to be made.

Thus my mind turns to an engine for which Hornby has the tools and theoretical ability to produce, with high quality, and there are actually many detail variations... which may or may not render it easier.

I speak, as an example,  of the Urie-designed built-under-Maunsell  H15 class 4-6-0.  The first of these were 1914 rebuilds of 1903-7 compounds, interesting times indeed! And the last, built in 1924 were not withdrawn until late 1961 or so, my dates might be a bit out, apologies, but they certainly cover the entire age of C20th steam.

Here are some pictures I have concocted from mostly King Arthurs of the great 2007-9 era, the drivers from Black 5s, other bits from here and there, all edited,  great fun.

SR 355 rebuilt in 1914 from E14 4-cylinder compound built in 1907 thus watercart etc...

attachicon.gif335_H15_1928_shed_portrait4_crop1_2abcdef_r1200.jpg

SR 521 in 1928

attachicon.gif521_N15_portrait5_Urie_cab_3abc_full_r1200.jpg

SR 475 in 1931

attachicon.gif475_H15_1930_shed_portrait4_2ab_r1200.jpg

BR 30521 in 1959 withdrawn in 12/1961 and cut up at Eastleigh... 

attachicon.gif30521_Portrait15_3ab_full_Urie_boiler_H15_r1200.jpg

Beautiful engines!  

What others are there which Hornby could produce but probably won't?

Cheers

I wouldn't hold your breath. Given Hornby have had the tooling to produce Southern liveried Athurs with Watercart / 6 wheel tenders and non smoke deflector fitted examples, but have consistently failed to do so, I don't see them embarking on a H15

Its something of a frustration that while the designers of Hornby's models generally allow for lots of variation, the marketing side seem to be very un-imaginative, simply turning out repeat versions of the same tooling configuration then wondering why they don't sell.

Edited by phil-b259

Easy choices 

All still exist original or being or new rebuild at present time.

G5 J21 J27 Q7 Aerolite (NRM Special?) 

Others 

B17 Footballer in LNER Green 

Sentinel rail car

P2 Streamlined non Railroad , chassis (other than valve gear)  and Tender already done.

C7 

etc etc etc

Interesting thread

Hornby already have an ok Duchess tooling, they've had it for the best part of 15 years now and still they haven't done 6253-6255 which only needs a new tender top. I know that they will probably never do 6256-6257...

With the design clever nonsense of a few years ago, i thought the W1 and Turbomotive would have followed the Duke and P2. Probably a missed opportunity there but i underatand with the uproar that design clever brought.

Caprotti Black Fives would sell but they won't make them.

How about more types/diagrams of the super detailed coaches? They seem to think a first/third/brakethird/fullbrake are enough for LNER/LMS modellers. Though I'd hazard a guess that 2018 will see a LNER dyno caach with Mallard.

Plundering the pre-Grouping stud is the only way to go for unique locos.

It'll never happen, but the late 19th and early 20th century locos of the London and North Western Railway need to be recognised.  WE NEED Claughtons, Experiments, Prince of Wales, George Vs, Precursors, Jumbos.  IN fact all the simple, effective engines that pulled the LNWR out of the mire of Webb Compounding and were ground down under the dead hand of Derby after the Grouping.

And how about some Caledonian locos to keep Scotland happy.  Apart from the Pug and the Caly single, there's nothing to represent this major pre-grouping company.  Some Dunalastairs and a Cardean might do the trick!

I could go along with the suggestion of a Great Bear, but how about those uglys, the Krugers?  We could have the 4-6-0 and 2-6-0 variants and how about their successors, the Aberdares?

Yep. Doesnt Happen Here!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There's quite a lot Hornby could do to refresh the appeal of existing models. They have, for instance, covered barely half of the possible loco/tender combinations of Bulleid Pacifics.

The most common, obtainable without new tooling, is the typical late-50s switch of a cut-down 4500g tender to a wide-cab, non-rebuilt Light Pacific whose 5500g tender had been transferred to a rebuilt loco. This would also expand the number of badge-less locos that could be covered in BR green, of which (IIRC) Wilton has, so far been the only solo listing plus Watersmeet and Combe Martin in train packs. None of these, of course, being wide-cab locos.

Badge-less wide-cab + wide tender locos have also been completely neglected and are currently only achievable by repainting unless one is very lucky with the badge/nameplate removal process (or applies terminal levels of weathering to hide the scars). 34102, Lapford springs immediately to mind as a prime candidate; much-photographed and a survivor right to the end. 34110, 66 Squadron would fall into both the wide-cab + narrow-tender and no-badge camps and has unique appeal for those who want something a bit different, having been the only Battle of Britain without a badge.  

The final ten, plus 34011 Tavistock, 34043 Combe Martin and 34065 Hurricane if modelled in post-1952 condition, should have the BR pattern ash-pans but maybe the chassis from the rebuilt model could be adapted to suit. That trio were also the only locos to have the early crest applied to cut-down 4500g tenders. 

For the rebuilds of both sizes, coverage could be greatly increased just by making more tender bodies. Most of the first-series MNs ran with 5000g tenders throughout their careers and the lack of one means that a third of the class has been virtually ignored. The BR 5250g re-body as used (mainly incorrectly) by Hornby Dublo and Wrenn, was applied to light and heavy rebuilt Pacifics with suitable underframes already existing for both.

There are also several variations on a theme of M7 not yet covered and a couple of LSWR 4-4-0s that could be based around the existing T9 chassis and tenders.

John

EDIT: To correct typo on number of Tavistock

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A bulk standard BR Castle with Single Chimney, late BR Crest and Collet tender. As far as I'm aware this is combination has only ever been made as a limited edition. How about a mainstream release ?

I'm assuming you mean what could they produce from their existing tooling? What about one of the later Britannia's with larger tender (sorry can never remember what it's called) Firth of Forth etc.

Blue Grey Mk1s

... What about one of the later Britannia's with larger tender (sorry can never remember what it's called) Firth of Forth etc....

Hornby offered both 70050 and 70052 among the earlier introductions of the current Brit. Bought a 70052 cheap as a spare mechanism, apparently didn't sell well, and was sorely tempted by 70050 when that too went on offer (I'll not mention the price as you will feel a pang). They are a minority of the class, and the poor things had to wallow in the ordure of LMR's lack of locomotive cleaning. All rather different from the obvious care with which they were kept at Canton, Norwich and Stew Lane.

I sometimes sneak the BR1D behind 70039 when representing the brief period the class ran regularly on the ECML: the Brit is enhanced by the visually more imposing tender. (It's not all roses though, no one at Hornby can have attempted coupling on this tender at the closer spacing, as the ensemble forms a near rigid unit once you have suceeded (think 3 metre minimum radius), and then is the very devil to get apart again.)

Reading the Hammond books on Triang/Hornby , I was amazed that they did a prototype of a GWR "City of Truro".

If they had forged on ,we could now have had a slew of Western 4-4-0 derivatives which would have been fantastic.

Flowers , Bulldogs , Atbara's , etc.

Ain't gonna happen now

• Like 1

....I sometimes sneak the BR1D behind 70039 when representing the brief period the class ran regularly on the ECML: the Brit is enhanced by the visually more imposing tender.....

The BR1Ds seem to be quite sought-after on eBay as spares - forty pounds for tender only is not unheard of. Took me ages to obtain one to represent a BR1E for use behind 71000.

How about the Thompson A2/3? Has anyone ever done one? Don't think so.

There can't be many pacifics that haven't been done.

And a Raven A2.

I think both of these would sell in reasonable numbers.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby offered both 70050 and 70052 among the earlier introductions of the current Brit. Bought a 70052 cheap as a spare mechanism, apparently didn't sell well, and was sorely tempted by 70050 when that too went on offer (I'll not mention the price as you will feel a pang). They are a minority of the class, and the poor things had to wallow in the ordure of LMR's lack of locomotive cleaning. All rather different from the obvious care with which they were kept at Canton, Norwich and Stew Lane.

I sometimes sneak the BR1D behind 70039 when representing the brief period the class ran regularly on the ECML: the Brit is enhanced by the visually more imposing tender. (It's not all roses though, no one at Hornby can have attempted coupling on this tender at the closer spacing, as the ensemble forms a near rigid unit once you have suceeded (think 3 metre minimum radius), and then is the very devil to get apart again.)

Interesting. I knew they'd offered them before but I thought they were tender powered, didn't realise they'd done loco powered ones