2nd, small Cardiff show, Saturday 21st Jan 2017.

naturol

• RMweb Gold

I am a couple of layouts shirt.

Tony

This could have been a lot worse......

• 3 weeks later...

The Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2017

With a trade presence by Lord & Butler, Cardiff Model Rail Centre, Penarth Road, Cardiff.

Saturday 21st. January, 2017 10:00am – 4:30pm

Scout Association Headquarters, Fields Park Road, Pontcanna, Cardiff CF11 9HX

Admission - Adults £3.50p, Under 14s Free

Ample free parking

Public Transport – several Cardiff Bus services stop outside ‘The Halfway’ public house, Cathedral Road which is less than five minutes walk to the venue.

. . . . .o o o o o 0 0 0 0 0 o o o o o . . . . .

In cooperation with Messrs Lord & Butler, several local modellers have agreed to exhibit their layouts in a one day show where all proceeds will be donated to local charities.

Further information will be published shortly, but some of the exhibits and demonstrations so far offered include.........

Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings
Brian Rolley
Early 1970s dingy urban goods yard inhabited by a handful of wagons and a diesel shunter or two, which is operated using a card system, based upon the ‘Inglenook’ principle
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88144-rosamund-street-low-level-sidings/

Wales, rails and steel
Marc Smith
Beatifully modelled 4mm scale ‘00’ South Wales steel works setting with thunder, lightning and rain effects.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/21148-my-new-project-south-wales-steelworks/page-1

Sheep Lane
Rob Gunstone
4mm scale ‘00’ overgrown sidings somewhere off the Somerset & Dorset Joint, in its’ dying days, which features some fine examples of weathering..
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94613-western-diversion/

Trevanna Dries
Wayne Crowley
4mm scale ‘EM’ china clay dries somewhere in Cornwall, and which can be operated in several eras including ‘Speedlink’ and early privatisation.

Penny Lane
Joshua Lovell
A 4mm scale ‘00’ work in progress, and featuring a night setting . An EWS depot with a wagon repair depot servicing mainly steel wagons. Mainly EWS locos with the last of the earlier railfreight sub sector making an appearance,.

Moose Creek
Brian Tucker
3.5mm scale ‘HO’ set in blizzard conditions, somewhere in the Canadian north west. Featuring Canadian Pacific and British Columbia Railway locomotives, both steam and diesel.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85615-moose-creek-a-world-from-abercynon-fach/

Hafod Road
Steve Dodd
4mm scale ‘00’ – a larger layout which can be operated in different eras.

Moorland Road
Chris. Locke
4mm scale ‘00’ set in the late 1960s / 1970s BR green to blue transition period; all in a length of 7’6”

Other layouts......
In addition members of the (I) Pontypridd Model Railway Club will be displaying a U.S. themed ‘HO’ scale layout,  (ii) members of the Bay Model Railway Group will be exhibiting a British Railways Southern Region terminus in 4mm scale ‘00’ featuring third rail electrification, and (iii) Chris. Lock has offered his BR 'green diesel era' layout

Invited DEMONSTRATORS include amongst others........

Hywel Thomas
An accomplished 4mm ‘EM’ scale modeller. Hywel will primarily be demonstrating the construction of buildings for his Morfa Bank Sidings layout, set in the Port Talbot area in the early 1970s. Some of Hywel’s work can be found here:-
http://emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_morfabank.html

Graham Tierney
Another renowned modeller, Graham will be demonstrating some of the techniques used in building rolling stock and structures for acclaimed Cardiff 4mm Group layouts Aberdare, Ynysybwl and the clubs current project Pencader.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/33493-ynysybwl/

Barrie ‘Baz’ Jones
Not just building wagons, and weathering them, but their loads as well
Also, once you’ve seen what Baz can build from the household items other folk discard (e.g. an operating wagon tippler), you’ll never throw anything out again !
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115627-shepcote-lane-tippler-sidings/

Watch http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117565-cardiff-small-model-railway-show-2017/    for further information, and any updates.

Brian R

post-1599-0-74342800-1480935122_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to this second show. If it's as good as last year it'll be a good 'un!

Mr Rolley sir, at the risk of sounding pedantic, could I please add that the name of the layout is Trevanna and not Trevenna. This is because I've been told there is a layout of that name but it isn't mine.

Cheers

Mr Rolley sir, at the risk of sounding pedantic, could I please add that the name of the layout is Trevanna and not Trevenna. This is because I've been told there is a layout of that name but it isn't mine.

Cheers

Consider it done Wayne.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to this second show. If it's as good as last year it'll be a good 'un!

Cheers

Trevor has a nice Cornish ring to it.

Rob.

Consider it done Wayne.

Thank you good sir.

Trevor has a nice Cornish ring to it.

Rob.

Funny you should say that Rob, I've heard from the original owner that the layout was nicknamed 'Trev' on account of the name originating from the Trefry Tramway.

Another invite has been issued to Penarth based retired tool maker and model engineer Mr Lionel Stout. Demonstrating his scratch building engineering of static and move able engines. Some warm air engines and his commission work for myself in the construction of the motion for my travelling crane on my new 0 gauge layout Adit A2.

Never exhibited before his knowledge and engineering is of the highest order.

UPDATE as at 17th December

I'm back from Spain !

Paul GANDY creator of the excellent 2mm scale 'Haverfordwest' which features many military vehicles will be demonstrating his casting techniques.

CAR PARK - I am informed that the adjacent car park is 'pay and display' on Monday to Friday, but not on weekends.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Just adding a pic of my "Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel" layout. Hasn't been out in ages, and is unlikely to appear at many more shows in future.

Might even sell it, to free up some space....

Yes, it's set in South Wales.... at night.... and in the rain! ;)

Tidy.

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks well worth a trip (by train of course) from Newtown.

Three questions:

Where does one find the buses near the station not they have closed the bus station?

And any idea which route numbers? They have all changed since I lived in Cardiff half a century ago.

And the most important: is there a way of identifying other RMWebbers?

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Three questions:

Where does one find the buses near the station not they have closed the bus station?

And any idea which route numbers? They have all changed since I lived in Cardiff half a century ago.

Jonathan

Cardiff bus have a decent website to verify things.

I suggest the 63 from Westgate street and hop off at the Halfway Hotel stop. Walk across the road to us.

In terms of recognising us as RMWebbers.....you will hear Br2975 and naturol before you see them......as for me think 'shirt'.......

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob.

For anyone who wants to keep clear of me I am about 6 ft 3 with whitish hair and beard and glasses and will be wearing a dark blue jacket advertising (discreetly) Newtown Model Railway Society.

I'm disappoinbted by the lack of funny handshakes, passwords etc though.

Jonathan

Three questions:

Jonathan

Currently, Cardiff Bus services and terminii around the city centre are totally user UNfriendly

Services 25 & 62 operate from Westgate Street (near the former Jackson Hall) to Cathedral Road. Alight at "The Halfway" near Llandaff Fields, across the road, near the old trolleybus turning circle is Fields Park Road walk along that street  until you come to a large car park and the changing rooms for the fotball/rugby pitches. The Scout HQ will be to your right at the far end of the car park.

If the weather is fine, you could walk from Cardiff Central station, it would take 20 minutes maximum...........from the 'front' of Cardiff Central station bear left and  cross Wood St to the Millenium Plaza, go through the gates beside the Millenium (oops Principality) Stadium  and take the walkway between the stadium and the River Taff. When yoy reach Canton Bridge (or Cardiff Bridge, to give it its correct title) cross the road, then turn left and cross Canton Bridge, going through the gate into Sophia Gardens. Follow the path that goes diagonally across the grass towards the car park and join the small road. Follow the road toward the National Sports Centre and carry on past it, carryiong on with the SWALEC Stadium on your right.

Carry on along this road, with Pontcanna Fields on your right and the caravan park to your left, eventually you'll reach the changing rooms described above, and you'll see the Scout HQ

Harder to describe than walk, but that route is pleasant and keeps you off the main roads, OK any roads !.

As for identifying RMwebbers........................there will be few if any  NON-RMwebbers taking part

e.g.

nhy581 will be operating his "Sheep Lane

Marc Smith will be operating "Wales Rails & Steel"

Danemouth & Minster  will be operating "Bishops Way"

br2975 (me) will be operating "Rosamund Street"

Brian Tucker will be operating "Moose Creek"

Wayne37901 will be operating "Trevenna Dries"

Doddy171 will be operating "Hafod Road"

valleymodeller will be operating "Knotts Landing"

bazjones1711 will be demonstrating, as will

HGT1972 who will also be demonstrating

naturol will generally be "faffing about"

To name but a few

If last year is owt to go by, there will be a good sprinkling of RMwebbers pasing through as well.

Stop and chat, don't come all that way and not put faces to names and avatars !

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks, Brian. I shall try the walking route if the weather is kind. I used to know my way around pretty well but almost none of the buildings you mention (except the road bridge!) were there when I lived in Cardiff, and worked from a base in Canton for several summers as a student. It is bad enough in the areas around what used to be the public library and Queen Street - and then the yuppie area to the east of General Station! Bring back the single decker trolleybuses, I say!

Jonathan

Mr Rolley Sir,

Minster and myself will be operating Bishops Way, nor Priory Hill.

I do hope the programme is correct!

Regards,

Dave

It will be when I make a start on it !

PS

(Is it London Transport or BR Southern Region ?)

Regards

Archived