WIGAN EXHIBITION 1st & 2nd October 2016

Eaton

As promised the LAYOUT LIST FOR 2016

1 ACTON PARKWAY OO West Coast Mainline Post 2000 by Halifax M.R.C.

2 ALDBOURNE OO9 English Narrow Gauge, early 20th century by Adrian Ponting

3 BARCLAY ROAD N BR (WR) 1966/72 by Norman Hambridge

4 BLACK COUNTRY BLUES EM BR Mid1970's by the Staffordshire Finescale Group

5 BRIDGWATER (S&DJR) O S7DJR early 20th century by Trevor Gibson

6 BURNDEN ROAD OO DRS Depot 1995 to present by Geoff Griffiths

7 BURNTISLAND 1883 P4 NBR by the East of Scotland 4mm Group

8 BURNSHAW NORTH WESTERN N BR WCML 1967/71 by David Forshaw

9 CALDERSIDE P4 BR (ex-Caledonian Branch) by the West of Scotland 4mm Group

10 CLIFTON & LOWTHER N BR WCML 1656/66 by Eric Farragher

11 CROWSNEST WHARF O16.5 Light Railway 1926 by Trevor Hughes

12 DALLAM N 2001 in the Warrington Area by Simon Fenton

13 ELLESMERE OO 1957/66 BR (WR) in North Wales by Phil Greaves

14 FANGFOSS Ong 1900 Norwegian State Railway by Richard Chown

15 FOSTER STREET N LMS in the North West by Paul Price

16 GREAT ENDON OO Northern/Balfour Beatty in the North West by Jeremy Davison

17 HAZELBANK OO BR The 'Waverley Route' by the Scottish Diesel & Electric Group

18 HEWORTH SIDINGS N UK Modern Image by the Yorkshire Area N Gauge Society

19 HORFIELD 1955/61 OO BR (WR) in the Bristol Area by the Horfield Group

20 LLANRUG OO9 Freelance Narrow Gauge in North Wales by Stan Williams

21 MILL LANE 7mmFS BR Mid1950's to Mid1960's in the Midlands by Colin Salmons

22 NITINAT LUMBER On30 Vancouver Island Logging line by Colin Hayes

23 OAKLEY GREEN OO BR (SR & WR) in the 1970's by Jamie Mathlin

24 RACOON JUNCTION On30 16.5 mm NG USA in the 1940's by Tony Kell

25 RISHTON N BR 1950/60 in the Northwest by Blackburn & East Lancashire M.R.S.

26 SALTDEAN O LBSCR 1890 in Sussex by Peter Smith

27 SNUG END OO BR 1948/1966 by Graham Gatehouse

28 SOUTHWEST LANCS LIGHT RAILWAY OO( Light Railway by Roger Christian

29 STOKE-BY-NAYLAND P4 BR (ER) 1957/1971 by David Hawkins

30 TROUTONS OO 2005 Post Privatisation by Chris Burnage

31 UNDERHILL OO9 1964 on the Isle of Stoner Railway by John Wooden

32 WIDNES VINE YARD OO 2007/8 BR Sectorisation by Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

33 WYANDOTTE SIDINGS HO 1954 Southern Pacific in Northern California by Ken Smith

The List of Traders for 2016

A1 Models

Aspire Gifts & Models  New for 2016

Bill Hudson Transport Books

Book Law Publications

C-Rail

Cheltenham Model Centre

D.C.Kits & D.&E. Videos

Deltic Preservation Sale Stand

Digitrains Ltd.

Direct Train Spares of Burnley

Durham Trains of Stanley

Eileen's Emporium

Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways Sales Stand

GFB Designs

Going Loco

Green Scene

Grimy Times

Invertrains Model Railways

LMS Patriot Co. Ltd.

Mad About Trains

Megapoint Controllers

N Brass Locos

Parkside Dundas

Peco Publications

Pennine Models

Roger Carpenter Photographs

Sawyer Models

Severn Models

Shawplan Model Products

Skytrex (2013) Ltd.  New for 2016

Stevenson Carriages & Millholme Models

Sweets of Yesteryear

Ten Commandments

The Bespoke Signs & Print Shop

The Junction Box

Todmorden Model Supplies

Train-Tech  New for 2016

Treemendus

TTCDiecast.com  New for 2016

Wizard Models / L51

Will BCB be as is now, or in the new Roundy format ?

I think it's in the straight and narrow format but I'm meeting Steve Roberts, our Exhibition Manager, this evening so I'll confirm which arrangement and get back to you.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's in the straight and narrow format but I'm meeting Steve Roberts, our Exhibition Manager, this evening so I'll confirm which arrangement and get back to you.

Keeping the BCB team on the straight and narrow is always a bit of a challenge!

Correct though; the layout will be in "traditional" end-to-end format for Wigan.

post-1648-0-04902900-1463306905_thumb.jpg

EXHIBITION TASTER No. 1

This is the stock that will run on 'Bridgwater S&DJR', Trevor Gibson's O Gauge layout that will be making its first exhibition appearance this October at Wigan. I was lucky enough to see the layout in its new purpose built home a couple of weeks ago and it looks very impressive. It will be one of those layouts where the modelling will be of a consistently high standard. The unusual station building with all its fine detailed timber and ironwork is beautifully represented. Hopefully more photos will follow shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

EXHIBITION TASTER No. 2

post-1648-0-66170900-1464085626_thumb.jpg

This is one of Andy York's photographs of 'Black Country Blues' by the Staffordshire Finescale Group. If you are trying to solve that problem of how to tackle a backscene then this layout has a solution. The backscene is produced photographically by stitching together several photographs using 'Photoshop' and then having the result enlarged to fit the layout and then printed out in one continuous length. The result is ultra convincing.

^^^^ It's that convincing, viewers often forget there is a layout in front of it...

That is the dilemma with backscenes, as they are as the name suggests a scene at the back. You may be able to make a case for the best backscene being the one you don't notice. However I still maintain that the one behind 'Black Country Blues' is something rather special.

• 2 weeks later...

EXHIBITION TASTER No. 3

post-1648-0-07410500-1465043116_thumb.jpg

One of Tony Wright's photographs of Burntisland 1883 which I rather like in black and white, which will be another of those layouts that is sure to attract a crowd at WIGAN 2016.

I have seen Burntisland many times, in fact I remember seeing it in it's original 'Challenge' form, but each time I have seen it there has been a new development. When it last appeared at Wigan in 2011 it was the newly installed working moving bridge designed by Thomas Bouch that connected ship to shore and made the train ferry possible that was the recently completed development.

A number of extensions have taken place since then the latest being the addition of a large Roundhouse. Burntisland is one of those layouts that is both an interesting and unusual concept and also superbly modelled, simply BRILLIANT!!

As part of my 'duties' I put together our Exhibition Guidebook which means I gather layout write ups and photographs from the layout builders and advert artwork from our traders. Not a difficult task one would think. However on the subject of layout write ups these can vary tremendously. Some layout owners will give you a pack that has a write up carefully written in an appropriate format accompanied by high resolution photographs, all very professional. Some can be very abrupt and are obviously not very high up on the agenda of things that need to be done., the layout itself being of a much higher priority.

Once in a while you receive something completely different and the attached download is one such example. I have included on our thread to give potential visitors the opportunity to read it before they see the layout as it very much sets the scene. I suspect that the writer has recently enrolled on a Creative Writing course and this might be his first assignment.

Dallam write up.docx

• RMweb Premium

As part of my 'duties' I put together our Exhibition Guidebook which means I gather layout write ups and photographs from the layout builders and advert artwork from our traders. Not a difficult task one would think. However on the subject of layout write ups these can vary tremendously. Some layout owners will give you a pack that has a write up carefully written in an appropriate format accompanied by high resolution photographs, all very professional. Some can be very abrupt and are obviously not very high up on the agenda of things that need to be done., the layout itself being of a much higher priority.

Once in a while you receive something completely different and the attached download is one such example. I have included on our thread to give potential visitors the opportunity to read it before they see the layout as it very much sets the scene. I suspect that the writer has recently enrolled on a Creative Writing course and this might be his first assignment.

attachicon.gifDallam write up.docx

If every layout sent you a "write up" like that you would need to be publishing a hefty volume rather than a handy guidebook.

Looking at it from the "other side" it is an area where better communication both ways would reap rewards. Many exhibition managers ask for a "write up" without saying " Please make it around 200 words and please attach a photo in such and such a format" or similar. I have seen lengthy descriptions like the one linked that have been butchered by poor editing and I have seen handbooks where some layouts have sent in a couple of lines and others have sent an essay due to lack of guidance and because the right questions are not being asked (both ways).

It doesn't need to be that difficult!

attachicon.gifDallam write up.docx

If I was compiling/editing the Guidebook I know which words I would include. They come to precisely 200!

I was not offering the download as an example of 'bad practice', rather the opposite. I shall reproduce it in full in the Guidebook as it has so obviously been a considered piece which in every way is designed to support and enhance the layout. In every way it sets the scene.

As regards guidance, the problem there is to offer it without being prescriptive otherwise every write up would be very similar. The size of our Guidebook is very much determined by what material we receive and as a rule of thumb we allow a half page per layout. If we receive an interesting write up or good quality photographs we may give a full A4 page. 

Guidebooks in themselves are rather an oddity. I know of many modellers who never buy one and I know of many exhibitions who produce not much more than a list of layouts and traders. I would like to think that the Guidebook should be informative and should give the visitor an extra insight into the concept behind the layout they are looking at. Why was it built, what makes it special, what interesting features should I be looking for, are all things I would like to know. The Guidebook would be the ideal place to tell me.

I was not offering the download as an example of 'bad practice', rather the opposite. 

No criticism was intended or implied.

I envy the space you have available as I have to fit details approximately ten stands, etc, including track plans on a single A4 sheet, printed back-to-back, for our annual show. Needless to say, there's no room for photos.

The 2016/17 Football Fixtures have just been published and as our Exhibition is directly opposite the DW Stadium, the home of Wigan Athletic they are eagerly awaited as they effect firstly the car parking and secondly the space at the 'Champions Bar' within the Sports Centre. Thankfully on 1st October the Latics are AWAY AT BRENTFORD!!

Phew!

I know, far from the heady days when they won the FA Cup but them playing away does make a difference to the car parking arrangements as they tend to charge £5 on match days. Hopefully it should now be free.

Archived