WIGAN EXHIBITION 1st & 2nd October 2016

Eaton

BRING A FRIEND

Over the years we seem to have built up a pretty loyal visitor base which has enabled us to continue and build upon the reputation of the Wigan & District Model Railway Society which disbanded in 2006. This is now the tenth exhibition that our little band has held. In that time the exhibition has doubled in size both in terms of layouts and floor space.

We have tried to bring layouts to Wigan that have rarely been seen in the North West. This year three layouts have travelled from Scotland. Already for WIGAN 2017 we have plans to bring a Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway inspired layout from the south coast. In order to bring more such layouts we need the revenue from extra visitors, so if you have visited before and enjoyed the experience we ask you this year to consider bringing a friend, and remember accompanied children gain free entry. This would have the effect of spreading the word, and there is no more effective publicity and it would benefit us financially. Of course if you could rustle up three friends you could purchase an Advance 4 for 3 Ticket and everyone would gain entrance for £7.50 each. However you would need to act speedily as your application would need to reach Samantha by Monday 26th October.

As we have no clubrooms or club layouts to support you can rest assured that this potential extra revenue would have a significant effect on WIGAN 2017 to the benefit of all our visitors.

By Monday 26th October.....????

• RMweb Gold

This little ditty obviously refers to Samantha:

There was a young lady called Blight; who could travel much faster than light. She went out one day; in a relative way; and came back the previous night!

The old ones are the best!

Paul.

P.S. I have been granted a pass for Saturday. "Oh good, you won't be clogging up the house." was the response when I asked for permission.

Our Road Signs have gone up this morning but the directions to the Robin Park Sports & Tennis Centre are fairly straight forward. From whichever direction you are approaching Wigan, firstly follow the BROWN WIGAN METRO SIGNS for 'ROBIN PARK'. When you are in the vicinity of the Sports Centre you should follow our WHITE & BLACK 'MODEL RAIL SHOW' signs, these will direct you to the venue, but just as importantly passed all the available Car Parks.

EXHIBITION TASTER No. 9

post-1648-0-30805200-1474900547_thumb.jpg

Another large OO layout that is sure to be a draw at our Exhibition next weekend. This is the Wakefield Railway Modellers Society's 'Troutons'. It is a model of a container yard complete with working container cranes ( I'm sure there is a more technical name for them). The layout also features mainline running as well as much shunting. So in short, there's a lot going on.

post-1648-0-56095200-1474964789_thumb.jpg

We always make a point of making sure the 'modern era' is well represented at our Exhibition. Here is 'Acton Parkway' a very modern through station situated just south of Manchester. It is primarily a station built for the benefit of commuters and shoppers journeying to Manchester, Liverpool or Birmingham. Again it is built to OO standards but this time by the Halifax Model Railway Club.

Please also note that our Advance Ticket facility is now closed.

post-1648-0-12480100-1475061531_thumb.jpg

Eric Farragher's 'Clifton & Lowther' is a steam inspired layout set in the late 1950's to early 60's. It is a representation of the West Coast Main Line just south of Penrith, a spot that Eric remembers train spotting in his youth. Built to N gauge standards of 2mm to 1ft. it shows the benefits of this scale by placing the railway firmly in the landscape.

Another layout at Wigan 2016 this coming weekend that will repay a lengthy lean on the barrier.

Please note DO NOT PARK on the adjacent Robin Park Retail Centre car park to go to the exhibition. This car park is privately managed.On event days (and other times also) they have a "security" guy who will stick a £100 fine ticket on your car even if you simply just walk off the shopping site (to the exhibition hall /sports centre alongside). I'm local and know of people who have been done. Similar at Asda. Use the main car park just up the road (opposite the cinema) - though you might have to pay on "event days"

Just been today to Wickes by car - the works mentioned by pharrc20 above only affect internal entrances to the Retail car park & won't affect exhibition parking if you heed the above warning. Loire Drive / other car parks are totally unaffected by this work.

The signage around town has changed from "Robin Park Stadium" to "DW Stadium", don't worry, it's the same place !!

See you all there. (I'll be walking there !!)

Brit15

Please note DO NOT PARK on the adjacent Robin Park Retail Centre car park to go to the exhibition. This car park is privately managed.On event days (and other times also) they have a "security" guy who will stick a £100 fine ticket on your car even if you simply just walk off the shopping site (to the exhibition hall /sports centre alongside). I'm local and know of people who have been done. Similar at Asda. Use the main car park just up the road (opposite the cinema) - though you might have to pay on "event days"

Just been today to Wickes by car - the works mentioned by pharrc20 above only affect internal entrances to the Retail car park & won't affect exhibition parking if you heed the above warning. Loire Drive / other car parks are totally unaffected by this work.

The signage around town has changed from "Robin Park Stadium" to "DW Stadium", don't worry, it's the same place !!

See you all there. (I'll be walking there !!)

Very good advise!! The security guys on the Robin Park Retail Car Park are extremely efficient with their £100 notices. If you follow our signage 'Model Rail Show' White & Black signs they will take you passed the Robin Park Retail Park and up to the Cinema with the large car park opposite and as there is neither a Latics or a Warriors match over the weekend it 'should' be FREE.

Brit15

OK OK.......I give in after all the tasters.

Me and my pal are coming Saturday.

Gonna do it by car....1 hr 30 mins max from uttoxeter.

3 hours by train including the walk from the station in Wigan.

8.07 from Uttx but that means we have over an hours wait in Crewe for a connection, pity, I would much rather train it, but it would be gone 11 before we get to the exbn.

Bob.

OK OK.......I give in after all the tasters.

Me and my pal are coming Saturday.

Gonna do it by car....1 hr 30 mins max from uttoxeter.

3 hours by train including the walk from the station in Wigan.

8.07 from Uttx but that means we have over an hours wait in Crewe for a connection, pity, I would much rather train it, but it would be gone 11 before we get to the exbn.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Glad to know the tasters are working and your bringing a friend, brilliant!!!

Just to let you know another taster due tomorrow.

OK OK.......I give in after all the tasters.Me and my pal are coming Saturday.Gonna do it by car....1 hr 30 mins max from uttoxeter.3 hours by train including the walk from the station in Wigan.8.07 from Uttx but that means we have over an hours wait in Crewe for a connection, pity, I would much rather train it, but it would be gone 11 before we get to the exbn.Bob.

Hi Bob,

The 8:07 gets into Crewe at 9:02, there is train from Crewe to Wigan at 9:09, giving just 7 minutes to make the connection, National Rail website etc assume that you need 10 minutes for a connection at Crewe so I won't show up on route planning websites. Obviously if you are a couple of minutes late into Crewe then you will miss your connection and have the hour wait. It is a similar situation for the return trip were the 'gap' to change is typically 9 minutes.

Hope you enjoy whether you go by train or car

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

OK OK.......I give in after all the tasters.Me and my pal are coming Saturday.Gonna do it by car....1 hr 30 mins max from uttoxeter.3 hours by train including the walk from the station in Wigan.8.07 from Uttx but that means we have over an hours wait in Crewe for a connection, pity, I would much rather train it, but it would be gone 11 before we get to the exbn.Bob.

Bob

Why you catch the train fron Stone

Terry

post-1648-0-23853400-1475155474_thumb.jpg

As promised the final exhibition taster.

We usually attempt to invite an unusual exhibit to our exhibition. 'Fangfoss' is unusual by any criteria being of a Norwegian prototype and built to the scale of 7mm to 1ft. (O Gauge) but a track gauge of 24.5mm making it narrow gauge. This is out fourth layout to travel from Scotland and Richard Chown, the layout builder, may be familiar to regular visitor who may remember his French layout 'Allendenac' which appeared at our 2013 event. It featured a massive viaduct nearly five feet above ground level and some superb early locomotives.

• RMweb Gold

8.07 from Uttx but that means we have over an hours wait in Crewe for a connection.

Almost faster from Glasgow! 08:00 GLC 10:28 WGN.

Looking forward to it - see you all on Saturday.

Paul.

Archived