Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New Models from Hornby May 2016

robmcg

Two new steam models today from Hornby, among several other new things, Southern Railway olive green T9 No.116, narrow splasher, watercart tender, lovely, but the Hornby photo shows yawning gap between frames and running plate below smokebox/front bogie.

Shades of 44694 with reversed dome.

Also 90021 Crosti 'heavily-weathered' with what appears to be an orange dust pass with a spray gun below the waist.

post-7929-0-71629200-1463196852_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-77568900-1463196889_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the real thing will be better than the photos, the T9 in particular has perhaps not been assembled correctly and can be easily and quickly fixed by the buyer, if indeed the production models ave an upward bend as shown.

edit; I don't mean to be negative but at £130+ for the T9, lovely though it is, one would expect it was assembled straight. The 9F could be considered a possible start to weathering, perhaps,    O but for a pennyworth of tar....  I would have bought the T9 already but for the bend.  As it is I will wait until someone takes the plunge and we can find out if they are like the pic., or the pic is wrong..   and after Book Law, Minoru, some Castles....

Cheers

p.s. I will fix the T9 AND the 9F with photo editing if you want me to, Hornby !   :)

• RMweb Gold

Well oddly enough,Rob,I bought a 44694 from Transport Models of Preston just over a week ago ( via e bay ) with its dome correctly positioned. I asked them to check first before I purchased. They quicky did so and I am well happy.Just thought I'd mention that.

Looks like the Crosti has taken the same route through the slurry pit that the "weathered" K1 did!  You'd have thought that the flack that that particular model drew would have been an incentive to look at some actual pictures of traffic-worn Crostis (there's no excuse, Google throws up quite a few) and devised a more effective weathering scheme!

Oh well, anyone who gets one might feel that anything they can do with added weathering effects won't detract from the models visual effect, its not like making an error on a pristine loco.....

I saw one of the newly released Crosti's in Trains 4U, Peterborough last week.

It looked a lot better than previous Hornby weathering attempts, there were even some water streaks on the boiler and tender. A first for them I think, fortunately nothing like the K1 or Blackmotor 700 efforts!

• RMweb Gold

The well known Africa Korps version of the Crosti !!

T9 looks very poorly assembled, hopefully a one off.

OK ....  Bear in mind these are digital images from a Hornby website and not photos of the "real thing". We've been caught out with such like before.What you see there is not what you always get.Rails or Hattons will soon enough reveal that when they put them on their websites.

The daft thing is why on earth do Hornby publish such images , it makes the Loco look awful. They have done the same with the Book Law ski ramp images and sadly the Loco is that bad.

Perhaps they don't want to be accused of a cover up !!

The daft thing is why on earth do Hornby publish such images , it makes the Loco look awful. They have done the same with the Book Law ski ramp images and sadly the Loco is that bad.

Perhaps they don't want to be accused of a cover up !!

I very much agree. I've seen advertisements for both Bachmann and Hornby locos with bits broken or handrails misaligned. Who quality checks these photos?

Reminds me of the close ups they have on QVC showing so called diond rings and all you can focus on are the greasy fingerprints.

Well oddly enough,Rob,I bought a 44694 from Transport Models of Preston just over a week ago ( via e bay ) with its dome correctly positioned. I asked them to check first before I purchased. They quicky did so and I am well happy.Just thought I'd mention that.

Likewise from Invicta. There were two left. One had the dome the right way round and the other the wrong way. One was sent to me and the other back to Hornby. Nice model, if It has its hat on properly.

I saw one of the newly released Crosti's in Trains 4U, Peterborough last week.

It looked a lot better than previous Hornby weathering attempts, there were even some water streaks on the boiler and tender. A first for them I think, fortunately nothing like the K1 or Blackmotor 700 efforts!

I think you'll find that it's a Trains4U bespoke weathering job - not a Hornby production model. Steve was showing me them the other day - they are done individually by one of the staff and are not a mass-produced weathering job. (CJL)

I don't mean to be negative but at £130+ for the T9, lovely though it is, one would expect it was assembled straight.

The models that Hornby use to photograph for their website is just the paint approval sample and not a production one.

I think you'll find that it's a Trains4U bespoke weathering job - not a Hornby production model. Steve was showing me them the other day - they are done individually by one of the staff and are not a mass-produced weathering job. (CJL)

That's strange because the box, which was positioned behind the loco,had an official looking Hornby tab with the wording "Weathered 9f Crosti".I didn't take much notice of the loco number. This was in the "new releases" cabinet at the back of the shop. Strange indeed !

I look forward to seeing the real thing via the larger retailers as soon as they receive stock. I bought a Britannia 70034 Thomas Hardy from Hornby two days ago and would so love to have seen a weathered version, no doubt TMC and others will provide this service eventually.  

There appears to be a gap between Hornby's timing for new models and retailers generally, logistics I suppose, as much as any marketing system plan?

But why don't they do weathered Britannias?  They used to...  tender drive versions like Anzac...  maybe they didn't sell?

p.s. I will fix Hornby's pics for them maybe today, for fun, if it is allowed to modify their images.

here is how perhaps the T9 pic could reasonably have been... presuming the models are assembled correctly.

post-7929-0-35638800-1463267050_thumb.jpg

I straightened the vertical pipe, added brake rods, front brake hose, straightened running plate, closed engine-tender gap, lowered fall plate...   

I look forward to the Rails Hattons Kernow etc actual models.

Here is the pre-order Hornby pic from Hattons... so take your pick. Hornby did all the work on this...  I just added a shaded effect background.

Better go and do something useful. :).

post-7929-0-92833100-1463268427_thumb.jpg

Here is a version of Hornby's other SR T9 116  R3457 catalogue pic, I changed perspective and added a brake hose but it's essentially the way the model will look I think.

post-7929-0-88336200-1463272889_thumb.jpg

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear.  The Crosti looks to have been side-tracked through Dapol's red-oxide weathering machine!  They worked iron ore trains and colour photos of those are uncommon but this spray just doesn't look authentic at all.  Neither does the gap on the T9.

• RMweb Gold

The T9's have arrived here and ours do have the small gap between the frames and footplate, however this is only seen when the perspective is from below the footplate - the footplate hides it once you raise your perspective. I do agree for £130+ it should be better but luckily some of us are discounting well below that  ;)

That's strange because the box, which was positioned behind the loco,had an official looking Hornby tab with the wording "Weathered 9f Crosti".I didn't take much notice of the loco number. This was in the "new releases" cabinet at the back of the shop. Strange indeed !

That's the one that Steve showed me. He said it had been done by one of the guys in the shop, together with a couple of other locos and a Met-Camm DMU. I guess it could have been done on top of the Hornby weathering but it's definitely a bespoke job and there's a premium on the price accordingly. Still comes in less expensive than many bespoke weathering jobs, though. (CJL)

The T9 is available to view now on the Rails website.

Thanks Ian, it looks very straight to me, within the limits of plastic running plates.  What a relief!   :)

I notice they have R3444 70034 Thomas Hardy also the R3356 weathered Crosti 9F illustrated now, the latter doesn't look as bad as Hornby's pics.

Here are my adaptations the rails pics, I added softer background, you can just see the gap between the T9  frame and running plate as Derails points out but it's very minor, for all I know on earlier versions of the T9 also.

Also note the vertical pipe by the firebox is actually vertical as it should be.

post-7929-0-72295600-1463443327_thumb.jpg

The weathered Crosti looks less dire than in the Hornby pics and might be considered a fair start to weathering, a matter of opinion, as ever.

Impressive for a RR model , but over £100

post-7929-0-10204600-1463443445_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Better than the Hornby pics for sure but doesn't look very heavily weathered to me.

Maybe Hornby got nervous after a certain heavily-weathered Grange didn't receive universal approval?

• RMweb Gold

Maybe Hornby got nervous after a certain heavily-weathered Grange didn't receive universal approval?

This looks just like the average "skirt-squirt" as applied to other factory-weathered jobs to me.The T9 seems the same as its earlier sisters.Great model...not without its flaws....but will it sell ?

Archived