NS - new paint scheme

Willy

• RMweb Gold

Is it just a demo livery or one that's going to be rolled out though? There are lots of different ones including as recent one with a green 'ECO' band on the black as promotions but will they become standard?

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't a huge fan of their black colour scheme, so this is a bit more interesting. Surprised that they've picked the same palette as their biggest competitor though.

It's OK, but it's no Warbonnet.

Warbonnet must now be 80 years old, I think. ISTR a Leland A Knickerbocker did the design. Not the only primeval diesel garb to be unsurpassed in the modern era, really.

• RMweb Gold

It's not too bad,better than most British liveries at least they haven't changed their name to something stupid. You'd have thought they could of plated over the hole where the nose headlights were.

I'd have thought they would be better than the cab top one as I bet that must shine on the bonnet and in fog must be horrible

I get the impression that this is a special livery to highlight these new rebuilds and they will be painted in the standard black once the fuss has died down!

Willy

Anything is better than the BNSF scheme :)

The dragons teeth are a bit weak.... I would prefer something more angular to suit thee collection of boxes that is a current GE lok.  To be fair to the designers,  what are you going to do to tie together something that butt ugly?  The solid monochrome schemes work best, as they tend to minimise the effect of the random grills, lumpy bits and broken roof line.

>edit for idiocy<

the dragons teeth are in fact the horses mane from the horse head logo....

post-238-0-46825800-1463574889.jpg

makes me think of this

post-238-0-56714000-1463574992.jpg

I actually liked their black scheme. The logo on the black background actually works (at least a lot better than the old NW logo) for a simplified scheme.

I believe those are blue flames are to signify cleaner burning engines (ala Mercedes BlueMotion).

I don't think it's too bad colour wise. The mane doesn't really work for me because the rest of the silhouette isn't there to balance it out, but I could be tempted by a model of it. Would fit in with my embryonic model based on the ARR/Junebug line.

I like this scheme as a one off. Sort of a D&H heritage which makes sense given they just brought half of that railroad.

NS black is one of the better basic black schemes ever. Just the right amount of white to set it off.

• RMweb Premium

That's a massive rebuild, although externally it doesn't look that different it amounts to pretty much a new locomotive with a new traction package, bogies, control system, cab etc. Then again, NS seem to like major re-builds and bought up a lot of the convertible SD90/43MACs to rebuild, and they had their major rebuilds of SD60s etc.

I had the impression this was not intended as a new NS standard livery, but may be wrong. I am not really a fan of NS, but do have a lot of admiration for them on account of their heritage fleet. In a way I probably should like them as they include some of the railways I do like (PRR, Reading, Conrail) as part of their heritage.

Warbonnet must now be 80 years old, I think. ISTR a Leland A Knickerbocker did the design. Not the only primeval diesel garb to be unsurpassed in the modern era, really.

I presume you're including Armor Yellow...

Which other liveries that are still in use do you regard as having equal longevity...? FTR, personally I don't mind BNSF, as I consider it to be a close variation of the Great Northern livery as worn by the Cascade Electrics.

But surely D&H simply hijacked Warbonnet and replaced the red with blue?

The PAs were ex-ATSF units and due to their condition the D&H decided the only practical way to repaint them was to replace the red with blue and adjust some of the yellow strips: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=387759&nseq=59

However years before they got the PAs they had adopted the gray, blue, and yellow lighting stripe scheme: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=503493&nseq=23

That paint scheme was applied to Nos. 4000-4001 to promote an NS rebuild program to convert older conventional cab C40-9's from DC to AC motors, apply new safety cabs and increase horsepower from 4,000 to 4,400. NS classifies these as AC446CM. 4000-4001 are the only rebuilds to date and I understand the program has been canceled. So these two units are wearing yet another one of a kind NS paint scheme.

• RMweb Gold

I do like the various one off schemes NS do with the main hood in black and the wavy lines and bright cabs on the rebuilt SD60Ms. This one I have modelled in N scale.

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en/work-at-ns/veteran-employment.html

They have done various colour schemes.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/261771797068118747/

Archived