The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Wurzels

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

Scrumpy 'n' Western as a genre post-dates the original Wurzels I believe.  They who supported the late Adge Cutler half a century ago :O  I've also encountered a Brizzle-based outfit by the name of Surfin' Turnips once or twice who assisted in some alcohol-fuelled enjoyment.

Pleased to hear the Wurzels can still sell out a gig.  I have a very well-played copy of The Very Best of Adge Cutler on vinyl (and also now converted to MP3 files) plus a few more recent downloads.  
The "classic" Banner- Baylis - Budd line-up is no more meaning the only genuine west-country Wurzel in captivity, Pete Budd, has now been joined by "Sedge" Moore.  Surely not his real name ;)

Twice Daily remains a favourite and Drink Up Thy Zider has to be sung upon entry to Brizzle.  While driving to a modelling exhibition a few years back I encountered a case of "Thee's Gotten Where Thee Cassn't Back'n Hasn't" in the city centre though it was more a case of the elderly Toyota than the brand new Combine Harvester ;)

Scrumpy 'n' Western as a genre post-dates the original Wurzels I believe.  They who supported the late Adge Cutler half a century ago :O  I've also encountered a Brizzle-based outfit by the name of Surfin' Turnips once or twice who assisted in some alcohol-fuelled enjoyment.

Pleased to hear the Wurzels can still sell out a gig.  I have a very well-played copy of The Very Best of Adge Cutler on vinyl (and also now converted to MP3 files) plus a few more recent downloads.  

The "classic" Banner- Baylis - Budd line-up is no more meaning the only genuine west-country Wurzel in captivity, Pete Budd, has now been joined by "Sedge" Moore.  Surely not his real name ;)

Twice Daily remains a favourite and Drink Up Thy Zider has to be sung upon entry to Brizzle.  While driving to a modelling exhibition a few years back I encountered a case of "Thee's Gotten Where Thee Cassn't Back'n Hasn't" in the city centre though it was more a case of the elderly Toyota than the brand new Combine Harvester ;)

Must look up the Surfin' Turnips.

"Sedge" is definitely a local nickname.

Now I thought that "Thee's Gotten..." was a Fred Wedlock* number - never heard it being performed by the Wurzels...

*(Bristol music hero in the same 'folk/local comedy' vein as Brum's Jasper Carrott)

• RMweb Premium

Fred Wedlock*

*(Bristol music hero in the same 'folk/local comedy' vein as Brum's Jasper Carrott)

Ah, the oldest swinger in town, produced by an old musical friend of mine, the great Chris Newman, himself one of the greatest guitarists you've never heard of.

I've also encountered a Brizzle-based outfit by the name of Surfin' Turnips once or twice who assisted in some alcohol-fuelled enjoyment.

But Gwiver, surely you've heard the 'Cornish Wurzells', they played* regular 'way down west'.

And all the olde Adge Cutler songs were there to........ 

* past tense because unfortunately they have all just retired according to their webpage at http://www.thecornishwurzells.co.uk/ 

However, that's the only reference I can see to them being retired, nothing on the FB page and not here either.

• RMweb Premium

Cornish Wurzels - yes I have heard of them, but never heard them.  A lot of English expect us Cornish to be standing in fields with a piece of straw between our lips and muttering "oooh-arrrr".  Us doesn't do that. Us d'spake in our own di'leck.  Tez they up Zummerzet as oooh-arrrs ;)

Fred Wedlock - played fairly regular gigs on the university circuit when I was (allegedly) studying; caught a couple but something in the ale from the union bar must have filtered my memory of the nights.

...and I met him on the stage in Chippenham where the Wurzels will appear next week.

Geoff Endacott

I had the pleasure of being the compere at his first appearance in Bedford.  Fred took the mick out of me something rotten!  Much later, he signed one of his LPs for me.  He wrote: "Oh no, it's that bloody Chris again".  I miss him dearly.

Chris

Archived