Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Well day off today, and finally managed to do a bit of modelling for the first time in ages.  I acquired some modern tail lamps from ModelU at Bristol, which arrive in a rather snazzy red plastic colour!  So two coats of white paint later, along with gluing the small jewel into place, and tail lamps are fitted to the first of the Dapol 08s.

IMG_4891.jpg   IMG_4893.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

Now Steve at Railtec kindly sorted me out the transfers for Tinsley's 'unofficially' named 08210 Tuxford, and they've been sat here for a couple of weeks, so next job was to renumber the 08.  Now that isn't as easy said as done!  A discussion with Rod (dmudriver) of West Kirkby Town fame, and Jinty was had as the numbers and decals have apparently been paint stamped on, rather than transfers.  Personally I think the paint had some superglue mixed in with it ... as all three of us have had several goes at trying to get the numbers off.  In the end, we've all resorted to a similar method which involves a sharp blade!

In my case I have a little clay trowel (purchased from the Range for a couple of quid) that I got for doing various things with DAS clay, but the side angle proved sharp enough to remove the number paintwork without really damaging the blue paint underneath, so in my case, I finally got there!

IMG_4900.jpg

New numbers applied - if your not already aware the actual scale size ones are TOO BIG for the model, as Dapol's cab side is a few millimetres short. Steve has kindly resized them slightly to make them fit, so if your ordering anytime, make sure you mention they are for a Dapol 08.  Then came the next problem (why is nothing ever simple?) ... I decided against taking the double arrow off, given the problems of having to scratch them away.  But the 'Tuxford' painted name, TI logo and shed plate, are all lined up with the double arrow, and positioned directly under the long bracket on the bodyside door.  Now positioning it in the right place on the door made it look to low, positioning correctly against the double arrow on the right and handrail on the left, meant that the 41A shed plate had to straddle the door bracket.  Neither was ideal, but I went for the latter in the end.  I think it looks ok, and although it is annoying me slightly, I'll live with it!  Still have the other side to do, but thought I'd let these transfers dry.

As a side note, this coming from an idiot whose never used waterslide transfers (or any transfers come to that) in his life before ... can I just say that the Railtec ones were a doddle, a quick soak in water, and they slid off the backing sheet dead easy and I cannot see anything of the carrier film.  The number is one transfer, the data panel and shed code another, and the whole of the 41A, Tuxford and TI logo is another single transfer.  No connection other than a very satisfied customer but very pleased with the end result.

IMG_4902.jpg

IMG_4909.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

Now just needs weathering ... well one of the tail lamps has been made a little oily, because the white just looked too bright!  Need to do the others too....

Rich

• Like 12

Well day off today, and finally managed to do a bit of modelling for the first time in ages.  I acquired some modern tail lamps from ModelU at Bristol, which arrive in a rather snazzy red plastic colour!  So two coats of white paint later, along with gluing the small jewel into place, and tail lamps are fitted to the first of the Dapol 08s.

IMG_4891.jpg   IMG_4893.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

Now Steve at Railtec kindly sorted me out the transfers for Tinsley's 'unofficially' named 08210 Tuxford, and they've been sat here for a couple of weeks, so next job was to renumber the 08.  Now that isn't as easy said as done!  A discussion with Rod (dmudriver) of West Kirkby Town fame, and Jinty was had as the numbers and decals have apparently been paint stamped on, rather than transfers.  Personally I think the paint had some superglue mixed in with it ... as all three of us have had several goes at trying to get the numbers off.  In the end, we've all resorted to a similar method which involves a sharp blade!

In my case I have a little clay trowel (purchased from the Range for a couple of quid) that I got for doing various things with DAS clay, but the side angle proved sharp enough to remove the number paintwork without really damaging the blue paint underneath, so in my case, I finally got there!

IMG_4900.jpg

New numbers applied - if your not already aware the actual scale size ones are TOO BIG for the model, as Dapol's cab side is a few millimetres short. Steve has kindly resized them slightly to make them fit, so if your ordering anytime, make sure you mention they are for a Dapol 08.  Then came the next problem (why is nothing ever simple?) ... I decided against taking the double arrow off, given the problems of having to scratch them away.  But the 'Tuxford' painted name, TI logo and shed plate, are all lined up with the double arrow, and positioned directly under the long bracket on the bodyside door.  Now positioning it in the right place on the door made it look to low, positioning correctly against the double arrow on the right and handrail on the left, meant that the 41A shed plate had to straddle the door bracket.  Neither was ideal, but I went for the latter in the end.  I think it looks ok, and although it is annoying me slightly, I'll live with it!  Still have the other side to do, but thought I'd let these transfers dry.

As a side note, this coming from an idiot whose never used waterslide transfers (or any transfers come to that) in his life before ... can I just say that the Railtec ones were a doddle, a quick soak in water, and they slid off the backing sheet dead easy and I cannot see anything of the carrier film.  The number is one transfer, the data panel and shed code another, and the whole of the 41A, Tuxford and TI logo is another single transfer.  No connection other than a very satisfied customer but very pleased with the end result.

IMG_4902.jpg

IMG_4909.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

Now just needs weathering ... well one of the tail lamps has been made a little oily, because the white just looked too bright!  Need to do the others too....

Rich

Really good job on the cabside transfers, Rich.  Nice one!!

Rod

• RMweb Gold

Cheers guys,

Must say, I'm really pleased with them!  Id forgotten that I had some commitments today and tomorrow, so unlikely to get the other side numbered/lettered til mid-week!

Have progressed some other 'control' items thanks to a good mate of mine, more anon :)

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rich

Nice job on removing the Dapol numbering on the 08, a far better job than I did on mine.

The application of transfers is excellent and finish the model off nicely.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jinty,

One down, four to go ;)

Steve at Railtec has kindly provided the numbers for the next two - just need to find some time, which is in VERY short supply at the moment. :(

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well not really finding any time this week, hopefully later in the week things should happen!  Might even be able to finish off clearing the loft, although with the possibility of a house move now on the horizon, many plans have been totally thrown in to disarray. Hence, I'm giving some thought to a little diorama, that I can just keep dropping into and could be used on Arksey (at some point in the future) .... bar for internal detail the loco shed is nearly finished, just need to find some suitable roofing slates!

So back to the diorama - I've got some ideas that would also allow it to act as a photo plank, but also to be positioned on the new layout, so its not wasted time. What is anyone's recommendation for modelling tarmac - i.e. as a car park or road surface - perhaps one that has the odd pothole or broken surface?

Best I've come up with so far is painted fine sandpaper, but I don't think that will give the right texture?

Any thoughts guys?

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure in 7mm but when I build the road bridge on ELJ I used card but added talc to the paint to add a bit of texture, how about very fine sand?

Cheers

Thanks Paul - hmm talc could be an option on the card.  Would sand give the same impression as fine sandpaper, more of a stony/dusty surface than hardened tarmac?

For tarmac You could try funky foam sheets

Brian

Thanks Brian - now ... enlighten me a little - what are funky foam sheets?  Not come across them before!  

Rich

These are the funky foam sheets https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=funky+foam+sheets&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS1vC1mY7SAhVjLcAKHffkDuYQ_AUICSgD&biw=320&bih=460#imgrc=QvkSGUz3LGsxfM:

You can get them in A3 I saw an article that in a magazine using them them for road surfaces and it looked very good

I used them on an n gauge layout but I think they'd look ok in 0

attachicon.gifIMG_8419.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8420.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8421.JPG

Brian

Ooooh that really does look good.

Tarmac is very flat, it would be textured but even in O gauge I think you'd have difficulty in seeing the texture in detail.

I think the only place it may become more apparant is where the tarmac has started to break up, where it meets kerbstones/manholes/etc, which was very common years ago. Tarmac back then, wasn't quite the quality or consistancy it is nowadays.

Again it's a subject that has its own perspective with each individual.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

I`ve used some sand paper stuck down on foam board on a couple of small diorama`s a few years back, and it seemed to work quite well in O scale.

As Stairfoot Jct.has said, you can digout pot holes and create some good looking repair`s....

post-19751-0-09493600-1487065244.jpg

post-19751-0-41256100-1487065243.jpg

Cheers,

Brian.

• Like 8

I`ve used some sand paper stuck down on foam board on a couple of small diorama`s a few years back, and it seemed to work quite well in O scale.

As Stairfoot Jct.has said, you can digout pot holes and create some good looking repair`s....

Dia #3.jpg

Dia #1.jpg

Cheers,

Brian.

Absolutely brilliant Brian. I like the broken tarmac in the top one, and I particularly like the graffiti on the wall in the bottom one. Your drawing and graphic skills are superb.

Jinty ;)

Hi Brian,

Wow, both look superb. I especially like the bottom diorama, was that card or sand paper?

Rich

Cheers Rich,

It`s esentially 240 sand paper glued to foam core board,but rather than going through a full explanation,if you follow this link it`ll take you to a little 'how to' i did back in 2014 for these;

http://www.protomodeler.com/index.php?/topic/2631-small-practice-pieces/

Cheers,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well just a quick update - things are moving forward (in more ways than one!) and as previously mentioned I've hit on a little diorama/micro layout to keep me occupied, and remarkably quickly come up with a little track plan ... but more of that shortly, once I've something to really show!  It will be a test bed of sorts, with some exciting trials to come up too!

In the meantime a couple of weeks back I had a wander to the BRM Festival of Railway Modelling at Doncaster, which seemed really well supported.  Rather than just putting a couple of pics on here, I've uploaded several to my Flickr site - if you are after inspiration, or like to see the detail in models, take a look.  A lot of variety from pre-grouping to modern day, N to O and everything in between!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marshlane/albums/72157679006345420

Any queries, either post on here, or leave a comment on Flickr - I do check it so will answer everything. Sorry, I've only just got round to having a look through what I took!

Rich

• Like 2