Triang Arkitex

• RMweb Gold

I've just acquired what appears to be a complete set B, the one that makes OO scale office blocks.

My intention was to build a permanent 1960s BR office block in low relief. I was going to stick the units together permanently and paint where required.

My dilemma is that this kit appears to be complete,box is very good but warn on the corners,all the internal boxes are present as is the instructions.

I'm not sure how rare or valuable it is but would like some idea before proceeding.

• Like 1

I've seen them on eBay, they have a moderate value. A full set in it's original box is worth more but not, from what I can recall, eye watering money. Perhaps worth monitoring eBay for a while before you commit.

Edit; there's a B set on eBay at the moment, ends on Sunday, currently 1 bid of £19.50.

Edited by Arthur

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of sets that I obtained via e-bay quite cheaply as a few pieces were missing. Numbers of odd pieces do also appear on e-bay from time to time, I have used these to make the sets complete. Best look out for incomplete sets or components as they would probably be much cheaper.

• RMweb Gold

I'll probably hang on to it and look for odd bits as I don't need all the bits.

There is some pictures on the net where people have made it into permanent models and detailed them. They look very good

• RMweb Premium

You're lucky to have found it Russ, I've always thought some of the buildings from this range could be made into nice scale model buildings, a pity they've never been re-released.  I wonder what happened to the moulds for them?

I had a set as a kid and years later often wondered what it had been called. It was eBay which filled in the blanks. I remembered the system itself but hadn't recalled it was to 00 and had been made by Triang.

It was a nice system, just a bit limited in that really all you could build were modern, 60's style, office blocks.

• RMweb Gold

It's a great system shame it never really caught on.

I would suspect the moulds were probably destroyed as I don't think the factory exists anymore. The box proudly proclaiming made in northern Ireland.

I suppose the larger scale 1:42 scale would work with O scale. What was the purpose of those kits were the spot on diecast cars that scale?

• RMweb Gold

I had a set as a kid and years later often wondered what it had been called. It was eBay which filled in the blanks. I remembered the system itself but hadn't recalled it was to 00 and had been made by Triang.

It was a nice system, just a bit limited in that really all you could build were modern, 60's style, office blocks.

Building tower blocks must have been what toy designers thought kids wanted to do back then. I had a set of clip together buildings,they weren't really scale models and were quite small,and as you say not much to build really

• Like 1

It's a great system shame it never really caught on.

I would suspect the moulds were probably destroyed as I don't think the factory exists anymore. The box proudly proclaiming made in northern Ireland.

I suppose the larger scale 1:42 scale would work with O scale. What was the purpose of those kits were the spot on diecast cars that scale?

IIRC Arkitex was quite expensive and it didn't help that it's release coincided with one of the country's regular crises

Spot on vehicles were indeed made to 1:42 scale. I always thought it a strange choice, as it's not quite 0 scale, but it's not the only example of a missed opportunity (e.g. Cararama at 1:72).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Arkitex - a name from the past.

Now it's limited in that you can only build historical 60's style office blocks..........................................................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

1:42 isn't too far out,especialy for the buildings.

A block of flats or offices would be quite tall in 1:42 scale. Even now it's probably the easiest and reasonably priced way of creating large structures in O scale

Arkitex - a name from the past.

Now it's limited in that you can only build historical 60's style office blocks..........................................................

Cheers,

Mick

True enough, with the real things already being demolished you'll be building memories of office blocks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm coming round to the idea that it isn't that rare, so may build a 60s BR office block on the platform with it.

Call it Glaven house after the local river and that will be the area manager Cley on sea offices

• Like 3

• 6 years later...
On 22/05/2016 at 12:37, russ p said:

I'm coming round to the idea that it isn't that rare, so may build a 60s BR office block on the platform with it.

Call it Glaven house after the local river and that will be the area manager Cley on sea offices

Did you ever build this?  I've got an Arkitex stash that's itching for construction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Did you ever build this?  I've got an Arkitex stash that's itching for construction.

I certainly did and a couple of big shops, there are pictures on my layout thread 

20221112_165003.jpg

20221112_164955.jpg

• Like 14