ratio visitor centre

banburysaint

It's many years since I did but there's quite a few layout dioramas using their products plus, as you'd expect, a healthy shop with company products. I also got to see behind the scenes a bit too so I'd say it's worth breaking a journey along the A38. Express Models down at Buckfastleigh station is worth a visit too.

The Ratio shop is on the side of the factory. It has lots of glass display units showing nicely made dioramas featuring all the Ratio/Wills kits.

The shop stocks the full range of the Peco empire (including Ratio/Wills/Metcalfe etc..) and a limited range of other stock BUT all at full RRP. I pop in fairly frequently as it one of the few places in the area which stocks a good range of Railmatch paints.

As mentioned above the Expressway shop at Buckfastleigh station is a far more comprehensive (really excellent) model railway shop, with competitive prices and multi-buy discounts. It also has the added benefit of a tea-room and steam railway on site!

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

What is that in metric measurement

304.8mm to the foot.

Edited thanks to Mike for pointing out I was only 1\2 right!

Many thanks we are on holiday in the area, just up the road from staverton. Yes the wallet took a dent when we hit the sdr shop!

When on a day trip to the South Devon Railway I have called into the Visitor Centre a couple of times and picked up some kits.

I enjoy the train ride from Totnes to Buckfastleigh, but if you are in the area and have time can I suggest visiting Buckfastleigh itself?  

It is an easy walk from the station and there are  couple of nice pubs and cafes.

If you like old pubs try to call in to the Valiant Soldier which closed as a pub in the 1960s but remains unchanged,

cheers

If you like old pubs try to call in to the Valiant Soldier which closed as a pub in the 1960s but remains unchanged,

I agree, a 'must do' if you're in the area.

• RMweb Premium

Nobody has mentioned Buckfast Abbey.  Apart from the abbey there is a working water mill which, as an engineer, I find interesting.  Also a restaurant.

A 'special' wine is available from the Abbey.

Phil (I have never tried it................................)

• RMweb Gold

The Visitor Centre is very close to the town centre, and is well worth a visit.  It is not large and consists of two rooms, one holds the dioramas (they are very good) and the other an extensive stock of their products, there is also car parking on site.

As others have mentioned, Expressway Models and the Valiant Soldier are well worth a visit.

Last year, we stopped overnight at the Globe Inn, the welcome, food and drinks were excellent, hopefully, this is still the case - it is only a 2-3 minute walk from Ratio.

Cheers,

Aidan

304.8mm to the 0.3m surely

Hat, coat ......

NO ! No ! No! most of us model in 4mm to the foot or 7mm to the foot ectra not 4mm to the 0.3m and the likes

of course there are odd balls who do S scale which is all imperial

There that's stirred it a bit

Wind up and retreat.......

Archived