Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, checkrail said:

Another Castle takes centre stage in today's selection as 5041 'Tiverton Castle' hurries its train towards distant Paddington.

j23.jpg.9e4f76bad921d84c5af52e02903ebe66.jpg

j24.jpg.994b98e9e4145f56063af16f43318a03.jpg

j25.jpg.7f2e443fc9995c03c1e8c0a580f2ca06.jpg

John C.

Looking at the history of 5041 and she was a long standing resident of Laira and long enough for me to model her too.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Looking at the history of 5041 and she was a long standing resident of Laira and long enough for me to model her too.

Indeed Robin.  According to Beck & Copsey she was at Laira in 1938 and still there in 1946. I've seen a few pre-war pics of her. There's a really good 1935 one of her at Exeter St D. on a Plymouth express in 'The big four in colour', p.107.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Inspired by Kevin's @KNP 4112, seen recently on a van train at Little Muddle, here's my 4117 hauling a motley collection of brown (-ish) vehicles, perhaps waifs and strays being redistributed to their home depots or where they might be useful.

j26.jpg.5a81009c4bf919d29d5e922e34103182.jpg

A gleam of late afternoon sunshine illuminates the train as it crosses the road bridge. ( That's real sun, shining through the Velux window in a brief respite from today's near-incessant Mancunian rain.) 

j27.jpg.462b00e119e273e58cf547a526ec67d4.jpg

And 8709 continues to shunt the yard.  The Siphon F behind the large Prairie hasn't seen the light of day for some time. 

j28.jpg.ab4124053d0dbc4acefee4ba6341eb30.jpg

John C.

Yes indeed, a lovely selection of vans.

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Nice collection of random vans there....

One thing I can say about this class of loco is they just look powerful even just standing there.

Definitely agree - Loco & vans look great

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Inspired by Kevin's @KNP 4112, seen recently on a van train at Little Muddle, here's my 4117 hauling a motley collection of brown (-ish) vehicles, perhaps waifs and strays being redistributed to their home depots or where they might be useful.

j26.jpg.5a81009c4bf919d29d5e922e34103182.jpg

A gleam of late afternoon sunshine illuminates the train as it crosses the road bridge. ( That's real sun, shining through the Velux window in a brief respite from today's near-incessant Mancunian rain.) 

j27.jpg.462b00e119e273e58cf547a526ec67d4.jpg

And 8709 continues to shunt the yard.  The Siphon F behind the large Prairie hasn't seen the light of day for some time. 

j28.jpg.ab4124053d0dbc4acefee4ba6341eb30.jpg

John C.

Very nice too and will be even better with the addition of some Accurascale siphon G's

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, KNP said:

One thing I can say about this class of loco is they just look powerful even just standing there.

Yep - know what you mean. They do have a certain presence, a bit of heft, don't they?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Lovely photos John thank you.

I can’t answer the glazing question, but I would like to ask about the formation please.

I can see the Toplight Brake 3rd; Collet 3rd; Toplight 3rd then it looks like the H25 or H33 Restaurant carriage, then possibly a Collet carriage…. Is that right? Do you have a compo included?

Thanks, Neal.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I would like to ask about the formation please.

Hi Neal.  Yes, two compos in fact.  Formation is:

D47 (Slater's)

C54 (Hornby)

E88 (Slater's)

H33 (Hornby/Comet conversion)

E127 (Hornby)

C77 (Bachmann)

D95 (Hornby).

Not necessarily following an actual formation in detail but hopefully using what the trade and after market offer to capture the atmosphere and flavour of GWR 1930s trains.  They'll all be shown in the next few photos later today.

John C.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I also have a heap o' cattle wagons to build!

Me too. I started building a whole train worth (about 20) 2 years ago. So far about 5 are almost ready to paint. The others are just bodies at the moment. There’s a definitely a limit on how many items can be in a batch build (I suspect based on complexity) before it will become a slog at some point.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

23 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I also have a heap o' cattle wagons to build!

There must be a medical condition for it as I cannot stop building cattle wagons. Helped by there are still actual cattle trains run here in Queensland (container based-boring). I have a fondness for the 60 year old Airfix. I still have some unbuilt in box packaging-pre poly bag. It all dates back to August 1978 Railway Modeller with an article by Wing Commander Brian Huxley on adapting Airfix cattle wagons. It may be a 45 year old article but it has some great ideas. Here is one I started to alter over Christmas. With the vertical framing removed, and will be shortened into a W3.  My final visit to 1825 models in Stockton found this pair of Coopercraft in one of the boxes at a bargain price. Roof profile is a a bit suspect but they can be made into some thing reasonable.

Mike Wiltshire

20230119_065904.jpg.ac5f9fbb36dcb7efadb6857fc825a4d9.jpg

• Like 13

19 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

There must be a medical condition for it as I cannot stop building cattle wagons. Helped by there are still actual cattle trains run here in Queensland (container based-boring). I have a fondness for the 60 year old Airfix. I still have some unbuilt in box packaging-pre poly bag. It all dates back to August 1978 Railway Modeller with an article by Wing Commander Brian Huxley on adapting Airfix cattle wagons. It may be a 45 year old article but it has some great ideas. Here is one I started to alter over Christmas. With the vertical framing removed, and will be shortened into a W3.  My final visit to 1825 models in Stockton found this pair of Coopercraft in one of the boxes at a bargain price. Roof profile is a a bit suspect but they can be made into some thing reasonable.

Mike Wiltshire

20230119_065904.jpg.ac5f9fbb36dcb7efadb6857fc825a4d9.jpg

Wing Commander Brian Huxley created some inspirational models over 45 years ago . I was inspired by his series on GWR wagons, Micas,  a Gadfly and his article on creating an 0-4-4 from a Triang Jinty forced me to do my own model . That’s quite a legacy !

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

I suspect that is the same article which I read in an old magazine sometime in the early 1980s.

A discussion about that article and a conspiracy with a friend on here resulted in two of these making an appearance.

IMG_20221217_115611.jpg.39f5bde834a7890a25471b44e9df8d62.jpg

• Like 19

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Apropos of nothing at all, I was at school with his son, who wasn't a railway modeller though.

Which confirms the theory that you can link any 2 people with 6 links between people they know .

• Agree 4